Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Plant Questions, Awards, and Some Random Ramblings

I am thinking about planting grapes and blueberries together in my front yard. Would that be a bad idea? I know that I read somewhere on average that most types of grapes need to be about 8 feet from each other. I am wondering if I planted them 12 feet apart and placed two blueberry bushes in between them would they compete with each other too much? I have in mind to plant them in a rectangular area along the side of my driveway in an area that's about 20 by 26 or so. (Well, at least that's the size I'm hoping that it is. I haven't actually measured it yet since there's still a few feet of snow covering the area.)

I want four different kinds of grape bushes and would have two separate rows of them spaced 12 feet apart. I think it would be great to have a variety because I would get a prolonged growing season. It is also said to increase the yields of blueberry bushes when you plant more than one variety. The types of grapes that I am thinking about planting are Concord, Reliance, Mars, and Marquis. Blueberries I'm toying with growing are Jersey, Semi-Dwarf Northland, Dwarf Northblue, Brunswick, Patriot Hybrid, and Healthy Rubel. Has anyone ever grown any of these? Any advice?

I've also heard that growing hyssop is supposed to increase the yields of grape crops. I wonder if I'd be able to plant them as ground cover under the grape bushes. I am thinking about putting a path around the edge of the bushes and placing some strawberries in the middle of the path's square.

A while ago I got some awards from my blogging buddies. I've been so deep into plant research, parenting, working (hurray!), spring cleaning (even though I know it's still winter), setting up a financial plan to help us get out of debt, teaching myself how to crochet, and organizing that elusive craft room I haven't gotten around to writing about them.

Barbee was so sweet to give me a blogging buddy award. Thank you Barbee!



Debbi gave me a creative blogger award too. How long ago was that? I wonder if I can even find her post related to this....



Yay, I found it!

I should write more about these awards, but after a full day at the middle school I am feeling a bit drained. Trying to keep my patience in check is hard to do when the students aren't acting in the ways I am accustomed to. Maybe it would have been better if I waited to post about these awards until I was feeling a bit more sparkly and creative.... With my memory I'm sure I'll forget to post about them though. I will not award these as suggested in the "rules". I just can't think that much right now!

How pathetic am I? Here it is not even 8:30 at night and I feel tired and ready for bed. Am I 100 years old or something? I'm even too tired to ramble any more!

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

8 comments:

Tessa said...

Congrats on the awards! Well, for the grapes and blueberries- I know that grapes need a lot of room. Their leaves get pretty big, eventually, so I'm not sure I'd put another light needing fruit near them. Blueberries are acid lovers, and I'm not sure about grapes, so fertilizing might be a challenge. Blueberries also need to be fertilized all the way around the plant, or you'll end up with no fruit on the side not fertilized. I hope I've been helpful- and happy gardening!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cinj, you have my total understanding and sympathy as a former middle school sub. teacher. Every parent should have to do a couple of weeks of that to open their eyes to what really happens in the classroom and hallways where their precious kids are. They would faint, throw up or try to escape! Don't feel bad about going to bed at 8:30, I do it often. About the grapes and blueberries, sounds good to me. I do know you need to have at least two varieties of blueberries for cross pollination. And your post previously about being responsible and thrifty and reasonable, well yes. Good for you.
Frances

Unknown said...

Tessa- Thanks. I never thought of it in that way before. I can't say that I've ever grown either one of them so any tips are greatly appreciated! I think that grapes are neutral to alkaline for the most part so maybe I'm not creating the most ideal conditions for myself or my plants. I may have to rethink my plan. Looks like I'm off for some more research!

Fraces- It wasn't even a particularly bad day, that's the rub. I'm just used to having the same kids in class all day. It just works so much better for me that way.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Give it a try. If it works, great. If it doesn't, you can write about it. It sounds as if it would work.

Anna/Flowergardengirl said...

I didn't do very well with blueberries but I think it was too hot for it. I hope yours will work.

Sorry you are wore out. It's the weekend so maybe you'll get some rest. It's rough to be tired and trying to keep up with middle schoolers.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I've grown both grapes and blueberries, but not right next to each other. I'm currently growing the Jersey blueberry and it is best to have different varieties to cross pollinate. I have 5 different kinds, and Duke has been a very tasty one. I gave up on my grapes, they had seeds and no one would eat them and they took over the side yard. If you have room to grow them you should try!

Anonymous said...

Wish I could give you some helpful advice, but I've never grown grapes or any type of berries before. Good luck & please share your journey with us. :) Congrats on the awards!

Unknown said...

MMD- I think I will. After researching again I have found some people who have been successful.

Anna- I think it is too warm where you live for most types of blueberries to thrive. It is almost too cold here, but there are a few that are listed into zone 3.

Catherine- Thanks for the input. I think I will. I've got over 2 acres so it's not like there's no room anywhere.

PG- That's okay, I'll definatley share my journey with you though.