Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Building My Accidental Lasagna Garden's Soil

Upon the well-educated advise of my wonderful blogging pals, I have foraged ahead with my lasagna garden. I started to fill my new veggie bed with inexpensive, good soil and other free amendments found laying around my yard. Not only is this a cheap way to build up dirt for my garden, but it will help to suppress weeds and gives me some organic fertilizer too.

I didn't want my new garden to be any wider than 4 feet wide so the soil wouldn't get compacted when I work in the garden. I can work from the edges and reach the middle without a problem. I was told to make my garden small, a 4x4 area and work my way up from there.

Those of you who know me know that I can never do anything small. It's only 3 times larger than the advised size at 4x12. If all goes well, I will expand next year, adding 2 more raised beds. If you're wondering why I am doing raised beds I have a lot of tree roots in my yard. Along with the fact that my "soil" is pretty much pure sand so amendments need to be added no matter what.

The carrots and potatoes will be kicked out of the garden this year, I hear they do well in sandy soil anyway. I want to save space for the plants that need better soil.

Would you like to see my work?

I raked the area I wanted to place my garden in order to eliminate grasses and other weeds from the garden. This isn't necessary with the lasagna-style garden, but the weeds were easily pulled out of the sand with two swipes of a rake.

In order to suppress weeds, keep in moisture, and attract earthworms to my veggie garden, I added a bottom layer of cardboard. Newspaper is another alternative that can be used. Either of them should be wet ted down before proceeding. I used small buckets to catch the snow that was melting off my roof since it is still cold outside and didn't want to turn the exterior spigots on just yet. Hopefully someday I will be able to get rain barrels.

After wetting the cardboard, I added a layer of pine needles, leaves, and grass clippings. They had begun to decompose in my new compost pile. It smelled wonderfully rich when I was pulling the materials out to put into my garden. I also grabbed several loads of leaves from the woods. Such a sweet, earthy smell, it was like heaven on earth!

After putting in a nice layer of mixed browns and greens, I started to use my reserves of topsoil topped with sphagnum. I didn't have much of either leftover, but it was enough for a thin layer. I also emptied any containers I wasn't planning on using this summer to add to my topsoil layer.

As I was emptying my 2 bags of sphagnum that were both half full, I found a mouse nest in one of them. There were 4 babies in it along with their mom. Cheesehead wanted me to kill them but I refused. MIL thought I was crazy, but I took the bag off into the woods and released the family quite a way from the house. What an ordeal!

Working in small sections, I added a thin layer of sandy soil from my yard onto the soil that I had placed in the bed. It took quite a bit of time to dig up this soil from my yard, especially when I couldn't get to my wheelbarrow to make the job easier. I only did one corner with this sand since I was using our spreader to carry the dug up dirt. It worked okay for a small amount, but I really wouldn't suggest using it for a big job like this. How could the shed be so messy after such a short period of time? I had to take some time off to uncover my garden tools by cleaning out the shed.

After all of that hard work I got my new plants so this project was put on hold for a few days.

On top of the layer of sand I added another fine layer of pine needles, grass clippings, and leaves. Then it rained for several days.

Today I finally got a break from many days of rain, so we got back to work on the garden. After I got back from my second day of full day subbing in a row, I saw a wonderful present was waiting for me in the truck. (YAY!). I needed the garden cart for the surprise Cheesehead brought home for me, so we had to empty out the rocks. Wasn't Peanut helpful? I think she's getting too big for this job anymore.

What was my surprise? A pallet of broken bags of miscellaneous soils, manures, and composts. Hurray! Now I don't have to dig up more dirt. At times like these it's nice that he works at the garden area of his store! He told me it only cost him $12.50. Not bad for so much good soil and stuff, right?

The whole family pitched in this afternoon. Son was more than happy to putter around on Cheesehead's tractor while hauling the dirt. It took much less work than the wheelbarrow would have.

Peanut helped me even out the piles of poured broken bag contents in the garden. Isn't it wonderful? Whew, is my back sore! Tomorrow night it's supposed to rain off and on for a few more days. I'm hoping to get some of the direct sown seeds into the ground tomorrow morning.

Thank you for stopping by to chat with me. Please leave me a message, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

18 comments:

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

I always ask for a discount on busted bags of compost and mulch. Always a great deal.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Wow what a great job you have done!!!!!! That looks awesome! You are going to have a wonderful veggie garden(-:
Great deal on the broken bags of compost and soil(-:

Heather said...

Hi Cindy- I am so going to read that book in the fall. I think it is so interesting and makes good dirt just like the compost pile would. I think you are going to want way more garden beds next year. We built two just like your for my oldest daughter's family and she was so intimidated by what she would fill them with. It is her first garden. Hers are full and now she is sorry she didn't let her husband build her two more just like them. Raised beds make gardening so much better! I have 12 and I love to play in them. Good luck and please keep us posted on how this method works.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Cinj and that is so awesome. Now it's full and ready for the plants soon as the weather breaks.

Isn't this such a better time of year than last. You don't have as many worries and you've gotten so much accomplished. I'm thrilled for you.

I'm going to get some strawberries tomorrow and am making some jelly like Kathi does. I hope you get enough blackberries to do more too. Are you going to freeze any of your veges?

Victoria Williams said...

So glad to see you're getting your raised beds going. And with Cheesehead's assistance! Good for you! Good for Cheesehead!
(And I'm glad you saved those mice!)

tina said...

What a good job! And I'm with Cheesehead, I would've done away with the mice.

Unknown said...

Debbi- It's a great way to get the good stuff for a lower price, isn't it?

Cindee- Yup, I think it looks pretty darn good. I can't believe how wonderful I'm feeling too. My eyes must have lit up as I pulled in the driveway and saw that.

Heather- Actually I haven't read a book about it, but I might look one up next winter. I got the info from the net. I think most of book reading is done for a season or two unless it's while we travel somewhere. I'm pretty sure I'll want to add some more next year but Cheesehead is still a bit skeptical.

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Anna- Isn't it amazing what a little time can do? I'm feeling so much better. There are still a few minor problems but nothing like we had.

You should see all of the blackberry bushes that I'm noticing this year with all of the foliage off the undergrowth. I think we'll be in the blackberries big time this year. Yay. I'm planning on making a bunch of different kinds of jellies and stuff. I will definately be freezing some fruits and veggies and canning others. I've got big plans and lots of high expectations. It should be interesting.

K&V- I know! I was so surprised and happy. I'm glad I saved the mice too. The kids saw one of the babies that was too scared to run. They were so excited and wanted another pet. I said NO WAY! LOL.

Tina- But they were SO cute! We'll see if my attitude changes, but I don't like harming any of God's creatures. He made them for a reason, didn't he?

Dawn said...

Good going, Cinj! PS. I couldn't kill the mice too!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Morning Cinj!

I've been thinking about you a lot lately, time is flying by, it's hard to believe spring is here and you're talking about a lasagna garden.

My Mom has been lasagna gardening for years now. It does take time for things to decompose but it will be well worth it. I continue to use newspaper and leaves that have been lying in a pile through the winter.

I can't wait to see your progress!

Have a wonderful day
Hugs,
Kathi :)

our friend Ben said...

Your raised bed looks absolutely fantastic, Cinj! Hooray for Cheesehead for bringing home such a wonderful present. And, my, Peanut has grown SO much! She's quite the young lady now! I'm right there with you on the mice. I even catch and release the wretched stinkbugs in the house.

Lona said...

Cindy your raise garden bed looks terrific. Now to the planting.

Cynthia said...

I can't wait to see how your lasagna garden bed does throughout the year as I have always wanted to try this method. It just makes sense the way it sounds- and nice and easy too! I'm wishing we had put in raised beds as our rocky soil is killing me.

I have often wondered if one could get a discount on the open bags of potting soil....now I must remember to ask!

Also, can't wait to see your blackberry harvest this year. :)

Have a great rest of the week!

Unknown said...

Dawn- I hope it was worth the effort!

Kathi- Isn't it just crazy??? Life happens so fast, we need to enjoy it while we can. Once the seedlings are big I will mulch the surface with wet newspapers and leaves so I won't have so much weeding to do.

Ben- I couldn't believe it when I got home and swa it. Hurrah. Cheesehead will be rolling in the veggies before he knows it. I only home I can prepare them in ways that he will eat.

Lona- Thanks. I got most of the planting done yesterday morning, all but the tomatoes.

Cindy- Me either! I'll keep you posted. We have loads of rocks in our sand too. What a pain.

You should see all of the brambles that are surrounding our yard.

Jan said...

Hi Cinj, you guys are doing great work! I admire your tenacity;-) I don't have a veggie garden. I suppose I'm spending way too much time getting my perennial/flower gardens going. We've just spent way too much time and way too much money doing just that. I'm going to do a post about it soon. I also admire how you uploaded all the photos and wrote the blog post! That act, in and of itself, is one of the main reasons I don't post all that often! I find it a pain to put photos on blogger, they keep putting too many spaces between them and I have to keep fixing it over and over. It's time consuming. Oh well...just stopping by to say hi, not to rant! ha. Take care! Good luck w/your veggies. I want to know what happens so I'll check back...

Ginger said...

Great job capturing the water from the downspouts, and recycling cardboard for the bottom of the lasagna gardening! I bet it's going to work great.

Gail said...

Hi Cindy! You certainly have been a busy gardener! Way to go...and way to get the kids involved! My son would have loved driving a tractor around...I wish I had thought of that to motivate him to help! So glad I stopped by...I've missed your great sense of humor! gail

Unknown said...

Jan- It does take more time than it should, doesn't it? I'll let you know.

Ginger- Thanks for stopping by. I can't take credit for the use of cardboard, but the water part was my idea...

Gail- I've missed visiting everyone, but I can't believe how busy I've been! I'll be by to visit soon.

lisa said...

Great job! I never even thought to ask about a discount on broken bags of soil...great idea! I'm trying to grow all my veggies in pots, but by the time I make wire covers to keep the chipmunks and birds out, I think just a couple big beds would be less work! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress! (I can't kill baby mice, either :)