Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

July Garden Blogger's Bloom Day

Bloom Day is brought to you by our wonderful friend Carol of May Dreams Gardens. Thank you Carol. This post will include my veggie garden update as well since I haven't given you one lately. Busy, busy!

This is a coconut lined basket that I'm growing a tomato out of the bottom of. It combines my flower gardens with my veggie garden, so I thought it would make a great lead off picture! The growths on the top part of the stem I told you about have turned brown so it looks like the tomato is trying to put out more roots. Note to self: please stop over watering tomato plants.

I'd like to add before I continue, that I have decided to use the camcorder I bought about 5 years ago for my pictures for now. I almost forgot I had it! I love the zoom on this thing and got some great pictures at the zoo last week. Now, on with the garden tour!

Many of my flowers from last month are still in bloom, but I won't bore you with those again. So many other pictures to post anyway.

First, the food.

We've already eaten most of the peas. Only enough for one meal. Maybe if I hadn't eaten so many right off the bush.

The peppers have flowered and appear to have been pollinated.
a onblur="try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiNVpk_NbITQd3_fXP2NX5hUKaUBBoMq0VtjdOSSwnnzXJpTzDGvVDl8D2Jx5mWuYckAxh3vjNzRPmwYObaw_xPda02Z28QLv1feWs79ZKytSARF3rf9lBRrf2SlrcblkapDSVh/s1600-h/DSC00125.JPG">
No flowers on the beans yet, but boy are they huge. Don't they look like they're holding hands? Broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, watermelon, radish, and zuchinini are still growing but not near being ready for consumption. Lots of hopeful signs in the garden though!

My cucumbers have just begun to put out flowers, the blooms aren't much to look at, but you can see the mulch. I am glad I finally got them mulched with the long grass from across the road. Our yard isn't big enough to supply me with large quantities of mulch. The kids were even kind enough to rake up the grass AND help place the clippings on my gardens. Will wonders never cease?
The wild blueberries are still small, but I love the pinkish huge they're picking up. Does that mean they'll be ready to pick before the other ones?

Look at all the flowers on the potatoes. I wonder when I'll be able to start picking potatoes.

The other blueberries are getting ready too. There won't be enough this year to make much of anything, but I'm hoping we'll have lots for next year. If I'm not careful the kids will eat them all right off the bush like they've done with the strawberries.

My paintbrush pollinated apples are falling off the tree right and left. It's been a dry summer so I won't have a bountiful harvest as I had anticipated.

We're down to two apples left on the tree now. It's a shame, we had so many apples too. So much potential just dried up and withered away.

The tomatoes are bursting with blooms. This one out front has a three small tomatoes growing on it now.

Gay feathers are beautiful. My BIL thought they were really pretty until he heard the name. He wouldn't change his mind either when I told him the other name was Liatris. I picked up a few different plants on sale a couple of weeks ago and planted them around the garden shed.

I forget what particular kind of potentilla this is, but I adore the yellow with orange streaks, I'd never seen anything like it before.

Angelina sedum produce some interesting blooms too. I like them for their ease of care and how easy it is to start new plants from them. This is the third area I've placed cuttings and they are performing wonderfully there.

The yarrow attracts butterflies to our garden. The flowers are so small and delicate. I love the fern like foliage of these plants too.

I have four kinds of Astilbe in my shade garden that I will move to the area behind our garage once it's all ready for the plants. It takes a lot of work to prepare new beds for flowers and plants.

The bumble bees were loving the lavendar. I tried not to get too close. Can you believe I was around ten feet away from this guy?

Past it's prime, but still a few blooms on this plant. I think it's some kind of dianthus though I'm not completely positive. I seem to remember something about fire being in it's name. I wonder if I still have the tag? This is a plant that came with me from my Big Lake garden.

The baskets and containers are really filling out too. I had a Martha Washington Geranium last year too, but I think the stones in the pot really help it to flourish more profusely than the plant I had last year.

My Beards tongue managed to bloom and pass it's prime since my last post. How could I have been too busy to get a picture of them? Geez, I guess I'm slipping this year!

Thank you for stopping by to chat with me. Please leave me a message, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

12 comments:

Becca's Dirt said...

Beautiful blooms at your place. I love the baskets.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Yes, the baskets are pretty! Things are coming along nicely there! The different varieties of liatris are some of my favorite flowers. Yours are looking great! I think eating fruit right off the plant is the easiest, healthiest way to do it, and you don't have any messes to clean up from cooking something with them. I'm sorry about your apples dropping.

Happy GBBD! Thanks for your comment on my post.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Your garden seems to really going now! I'm sure you'll have lots of apples next year. It takes awhile for them to really produce. It's fun having food to eat fresh from the garden, not much better than that!

Dawn said...

I can see why you are busy, busy. Happy GBBD!

Lona said...

This has been the strangest summer in the north. You try to water things but it is never the same as good old rain. I love you Martha Washington Geranium.Is it an ivy one?
I love your Liatris but it is just another plant that I have no luck with.
In a few years you will have so many berries and apples.

~~Rhonda said...

Cindy, you have a bountiful veggie garden! Looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing all your beautiful blossoms. Next year, apples, apples, and more apples! :) ~~Rhonda

donna said...

I had NO idea that potato plants produced such beautiful white flowers. I really do need to learn more about growing vegetables so that I don't sound like I think veggies grow in the backroom at the grocery store.

Unknown said...

Thanks Becca

Sue- Yes, despite the cool weather things are doing pretty well. Must be beginner's luck.

Catherine- I'm just discovering that now. If I'd only known!

Dawn- I know! I miss surfing the net. :(

Lona- Crazy cool, isn't it? I do think it is ivy variety. I just love it! Liatris do well here so far, such a pretty flower!

Rhonda- I sure hope so!

Donna- Why do you think I had to add them to bloom day post? I never knew potatoes even had flowers until I started playing harvest moon. I've been a veggie gardenless (is that a word?) city girl all my life. Amazing what you can learn from games!

It's surprisingly easy for me too. You should try it. Every time I see new flowers or fruits I feel so proud/happy/excited. I love it! Next year I'll have even more gardens to putter around with.

Anonymous said...

Your coconut lined baskets look great Cinj. Looks like you have bountiful blooms in the ornamental & veggie garden this summer. All that potential should produce lots of yummy stuff to eat. :)

garden girl said...

Hi Cinj, Your blooms are all beautiful!

Isn't it rewarding and fascinating growing food! Your veggies are looking fantastic.

I know how much you want your kids to eat more healthily, and I can tell you from experience now that my kids are grown, the best way for them to learn to love veggies (and fruit sometimes too,) is to let them pick it themselves and eat it fresh from the bush, vine, or whatever.

My kids learned to love veggies they used to hate that way, and I was just as happy that they got to the berries before the birds did, and saved me the work of picking them. The trick is growing more than they can pick and eat themselves so you can use them in the kitchen and maybe even have some extras for freezing, preserves, pies, cobblers. . . :)

Unknown said...

Raquel- Thanks. Yes, I'm very pleased with all of the blooms. I sure hope we manage to get lots of good stuff to eat!

Linda- Thanks. It sure is rewarding. I love being able to teach the kids about growing stuff too. There are lots of worse foods they could be eating! In a few years we should have more fruits than we know what to do with. I think it would be a wonderful problem to have!

steph the plumber said...

This has been a really informative bit of information