Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Inexpensive Greenhouse Lighting

As I was surfing the internet the other day, I got a great idea from one of my blog roll buddies. I don't seem to get much of a chance to read blogs much anymore, somehow I always seem to be busier than ever even though most of our major household projects are getting wrapped up. I read Cheap Vegetable Gardener's Blog and he had this great idea for using LED lights for starting plants in grow boxes. Since we were just in the process of putting away our Christmas decorations, I thought now would be a perfect time to start that project. I decided that would be a wonderful idea for how to solve my issues I had last year with my table top green house.

If you recall, I attempted to start my own seeds last year for my brand new raised lasagna style square foot veggie garden. I had attempted to use my table top greenhouse once before when we lived in MN to start my own flowers, but I had little success. Last year I used a reflective light, heat mats, a timer to turn the light off and on (I tend to be a bit forgetful sometimes), and domes to help the seedlings keep in the moisture better. Apparently they were a little too toasty in there since all of the seedlings shriveled almost as soon as I used my new setup. I think the bulb I have can be used as an incubator bulb, so I'll keep it just in case Cheesehead ever changes his mind and lets me get those chickens I'd like to raise.

I needed a new, inexpensive way to light my small table top sized greenhouse. It isn't long enough to fit those nice conventional sized grow lights in, so I had to be creative. These LED lights I got on clearance at Menards a few years ago seemed like a good solution. I still have 3 boxes I had never even opened. They had only been $3 per box, so I guess I went a little bit crazy. They are much cheaper to use than conventional lighting too, which is a big bonus when you are looking for ways to save money. I think I would have bought some now if I didn't already have some as most stores are clearing out the leftover Christmas stuff this time of year.

To attach the lights to the frame, I used some of the smaller sized zip ties I had sitting out in the garage. I simply wrapped the ties around the wire racks twice, once on either side of the bulb to direct the light in the proper direction. Twine would have worked too I'm sure but I like the sturdiness of the plastic ties as well as the ease of securing them tightly to just about anything.

I am planning on lining the top of the greenhouse with cardboard backed aluminum foil to add extra brightness for my plants as well as prevent the remote possibility of melting the flimsy plastic exterior cover with the low powered bulbs. I also think I should have some protection between my grow trays and the electrical wiring, so I will line the middle shelf with towels on top of the cardboard backed aluminum foil sheets to absorb any possible spills.

The seed starting will actually have to wait quite a while though since winter has just begun here. I'll have two additional veggie beds to fill with seedlings this spring too, for a total of three raised beds. I am also trying to do everything with home made organic products and ideas to save even more money as well as freeing us from the use of potentially harmful chemicals. I'm sure hoping this scheme of mine works out!

What are some of your winter projects you are working on?

Thank you for stopping by to chat with me. Please leave me a message, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very interesing, Cindy. It will be festive if nothing else! Just kidding. I hope these lights work out for you, without cooking the baby seedlings but still giving enough light. It seems good in theory.
We have already started some seeds, back in October while it was still fairly warm so the heat mat wasn't needed then. Just started others and most will be planted in the ground outside. Fun with seeds, always our winter indoor project. :-)
Frances

Anonymous said...

This looks like a very intereting project. I hope it works.

our friend Ben said...

Wow, Cinj, amazing lighting idea! Hope it works for you!!!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I can't wait to see how they work. I need to find one of those smaller types of greenhouses. I was just organizing the seeds I have already and am going to start Winter sowing this weekend.

Kathleen said...

Hi Cinj! I haven't been by in a while ~ you are as busy as ever. Looks like another great project you've got going. The lights are a great idea. People are so clever and innovative. I hope they work well for you.
I keep looking at those little greenhouses too but haven't taken the plunge yet. I go back and forth about how many seeds to actually start! I'll always do a few but I don't want to get carried away anymore ~ I'm out of space!
Happy New Year to you and your family too.

Unknown said...

Frances- You are right, it will look festive. LOL. I hope it works out.

I'll let you know if it works!

Ben- Well, really I just kind of borrowed the idea from someone else...

Catherine- I need a small greenhouse to keep the cats away from my plants, otherwise I won't have anything to plant.

Kathleen- Of course, when am I ever NOT busy? LOL. Always something to do around here. That space issue is a tough one to deal with, that's part of the reason I'm trying to do the square foot gardening method.

lisa said...

What a great idea! Very cool that you're expirimenting, I can't wait to see how it works out :)