Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Ubiogrow Vs. Miracle-gro


I know, I know. I said I am trying to be chemical free. I have this Miracle-gro sitting in my cupboard which is almost gone and I decided that I wanted to run a scientific experiment. I got a sample of this new organic fertilizer from Tom and I want to compare the results of the two fertilizers over the growing season. I have two ice cream buckets of exactly the same size which are properly labelled so no cross contamination can occur between the two fertilizers. They will be mixed and watered according to the instructions included on the package.


While that may be difficult to do in most situations, I happen to have two identical planters planted with the same soil mix (2 parts topsoil, 1 part sand, 1 part sphagnum, 1 part cow manure compost) and 3 plants from the six packs of veggies that I bought, so they were all the same size at planting time. The planters are actually strawberry planters that I hung on either end of the new grape trellis that my sweet hubby built for me this year. They both get the same amount of sun during the day as well. The leaves are yellow indicating the fact that they could use some nitrogen. I took pictures of both, but the other one didn't turn out as nice as this one did (plus this one shows off my lovely trellis).

May the best fertilizer win.

Thank you for stopping by to chat with me. Please leave me a message, I'd love to hear your thoughts!Cindy

10 comments:

Lola said...

I really like that trellis. Are those 2x6 on the top? Did he use bolts or nails? Hope your experiment goes well.

tina said...

I am very curious to see the outcome of your experiment. Do let us know!

Lona said...

Hi Cinj. What a wonderful new trellis.
Your experiment is going to be very interesting. I am going to be checking in with you on this one.

Unknown said...

Lola- Yes, they are 2x6. He used 3 inch deck screws. The only thing he used nails on was to attach the trellis panels to the 4x4 posts that are cemented into the ground.

Tina- I will!

Lona- I know, I just love it! I planted grapevines along both side and they are looking wonderful too, as are my peppers in the two liter bottles and my tomato planters. I'll keep everyone updated.

Kathleen said...

Cool trellis!!
and very interesting experiment ~ I can't wait to read/see the results. Happy summer Cinj!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I love the trellis, too. Do you always make your own potting soil? Is it bags of topsoil you use? I'd like to make my own, too. Maybe I'll try next year. I don't think I need any more this year.

It will be interesting to see the results of your experiment. I've been using "Coop Poop". A friend from out of town said he uses alfalfa pellets. I had forgotten about those. I did use some last year.

I hope it's not too hot where you live. We are having highs in the upper 80s, not as bad as other places.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I love your new blog template, by the way. I almost chose it for mine. It was a close second to the one I chose.

Unknown said...

Kathleen- Thanks. The experiment fell by the wayside rather quickly, the strawberry bags aren't as good as the tomato ones.

Sue- I do make my own soil mix. I use topsoil, perlite, manure, sphagnum, and whatever else I may have laying around.

Unknown said...

lol ubiogrow isn't a fertilizer so of course the miracle grow is going to win. ubiogrow is an organic microbe that helps maintain healthy organisms in your soil but it has no NPK value to feed your plants unlike Miracle grow which has a high NPK value that equals lots of food

Unknown said...

You'll be happy to know that this experiment ended early anyway, but actually the ubigrow bags looked to be doing better than the miracle grow ones were.