Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Hmm, I guess my zone is off!

I have been wondering why I can't find any of the plants I really liked that I had at my other house. I was in zone 4 there. I went to proven winners and looked it up. In zone 3 there are only 85 plants for zone 3 vs 210 in zone 4. I guess I won't be digging up many of those plants to bring here, the only one that is supposedly able to be grown here is the hostas I have. I had thought about trying to split the clumps. I don't know if they don't sell all of the plants I used to have or what. Come to think of it some of them weren't even listed for zone 4. I guess I'll have to look into that some more....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go visit a local nursery and see what they say about what grows. PW doesn't have all the plants, only the ones they hybridize or cultivate. They are a speciality nursery grower and producer. There are more plants for your area than listed at PW. And..you can always add a bunch of annuals to give you color. I use both annuals and perennials. The annuals give you the most punch and less maintenance.

Unknown said...

I have. I hang out in plant stores from the moment they open their doors in May to closing in September. I have found some great end of the season deals. I'm pretty good with most plants so even if they're a little bit rough looking I can usually get them to come back bold and beautiful. Well, unless it's in the rose family....

They don't have near the selection up here as they had where I came from. At first I thought it was because I was in the middle of nowhere and they just didn't want to carry the variety. Now I'm not quite sure, it could be a zone thing. I guess I'll have to try to look up some of my plants online. I do buy annuals every year, you can't beat them for their long lived color! I do find that perrinials are a lot of work to get them to keep blooming longer, but they're so pretty. Mostly I stick to annuals in my pots though and perrinials are in my landscaping. Some perrenials are treated as annuals this far north, but they're worth it most of the time!