Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Getting Ready for Vacation DIscoveries

I have been running around like crazy today trying to get ready for our vacation to MN. I know I've been going there a lot lately, but this time it's PURELY for pleasure. I promise I won't lift a finger to do work. We are planning on a trip to the Mall of America, a visit to the Science Museum where they are currently displaying Star Wars stuff, a Twins/Brewers game, a visit with Grandma at Como Zoo, and a day long jaunt to visit my dad's grave with a side trip to Walnut Grove to see the old Ingalls place thrown in. We're going to be super busy. I'll take lots of pictures and try to share a few highlights as the trip progresses, no promises though!

How was I getting ready you ask. I was pulling weeds, mulching, cleaning and filling bird baths, dead heading, you know all of the usual stuff. (Of course I need to pack and stuff too, but when I did that I only discovered that I need to do a load of laundry in order to have clean shorts to bring on vacation!)

While I was out making the rounds in the yard, I made some wonderful discoveries. I did take pictures too, but for some reason the computer won't read them off my memory card. I'll bring my computer with and try to figure it out later if I can't get it worked out tonight.

My most exciting discovery were the eggs in the birdhouse previously given over to the frogs. Imagine my surprise when I peaked in to see if the frog was home and was greeted by the sight of a nest the size of the one in that tree in the back yard with 3 small, blue eggs in it. I'll have to try to figure out what kind of bird the mom is. She has a blue back with a reddish orange abdomen and is about the size of a finch I suppose. SHH! Don't tell Peanut! I can't imagine that she'd leave them alone since she'll never leave a frog alone even when I tell her we don't have time to play with them today.

I'm sure if you're a regular reader you may have heard me mention once or twice about waiting for my peonies to open. Well, they're almost ready now. Why now? I hope a few buds wait for a week to open. I suppose that's asking too much though seeing as how they're peonies and all. SIGH!

I also saw the knock out rose I bought earlier this spring should have two open flowers tomorrow. Two delphiniums, a white spirea, and a spiderwort look ready to burst into bloom any day now as do some wild daisies and yarrow. My gardens will hopefully be over flowing with blooms by the time I return from my vacation. I sure hope they don't wilt, droop, and get stressed out because they need water or something! I want at least a couple of days to enjoy my peony blooms. I kept commenting to Cheesehead that they must not be blooming yet because we don't have enough ants. He looked at me like he thought I was crazy! But if they DON'T need ants, why is it that only the blooms that had ants on them when I came outside to check on them daily for the last couple of weeks are large enough to be ready to bloom? He didn't have an answer for me, of course!

Now, time for a little R&R!

Here are those pictures I told you about. Sorry it took a while!



Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

9 comments:

tina said...

Looking forward to hearing of your trip to Mall of America and seeing pics. The bird you describe sounds like a bluebird.

Gail said...

Have a safe trip and a lovely time! More blooms when you return

Anonymous said...

Have a great time, Cinj! You deserve it!!! I want to hear ALL about the Ingalls place and the Star Wars stuff and the science museum!!! (Pictures, please!) You're right, ants love peonies, and they always know which buds are about to open. Follow their lead! I hope some are still open (or opening) when you get home. And I agree, that sounds like a bluebird to me, but I've been to lazy to look up the color of their eggs. I didn't think they were blue, but then, what do I know?! Looking forward to hearing yoru tales from the road!

Amy said...

Have a GREAT holiday! Sounds to me like you've got a bluebird after reading your description, though I'm no bird expert :)

Unknown said...

Hi all! I got my pics on the computer, so I'll upload them soon.

We went to the Star Wars exhibit today. It was very cool.

Tina- I'll have to look it up and see. I still haven't gotten a pic of mom though. I suppose it may be a bit hard from here though!

Gail- Thanks, we'll try. After today though Cheesehead was ready to call it quits already. He's not a huge fan of Star Wars OR traffic. Poor guy! He was a good sport though.

Ben- I plan to. Soon I'll pic a few pictures of the Star Wars exhibit. I have 99 pictures though, so I'll just highlight a few of them. We had an awesome family picture taken with R2 and 3PO too, but it was "fixed" by computer.

Amy- Thanks! Lots of driving tomorrow, but it will be well worth it.

Anonymous said...

How exciting finding the three blue eggs. Even more exciting if they are bluebird eggs!!! Keep us posted and enjoy your vacation.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

wow, what a beautiful blue, could they be robin eggs? your peonies look beautiful, mine are almost done now, they should be still there in a week, they last about that long.

Unknown said...

Kathleen- Even better, it was actually 4 eggs.

Kathi- It is a wonderful blue. I had thought they could be robin eggs before I saw the mom. I think they're speckled though. I'm pretty sure they're blue bird eggs.

Anonymous said...

You did everything you said you were going to do and then some. So did your peony wait for you? Does your knock out have more blooms? If you posted about it--I haven't read that yet! You have been very busy--now rest.