Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Exploring the State Fair with Your Senses

Skeeter asked if I was taking time to smell the roses. Why, YES I am! Okay, maybe there aren't very many roses to be seen at the MN State Fair, but there are plenty of things to smell there (if you dare).



There are the adorable baby animals. I chose to show you the fluffy yellow chicks. Peanut sure was upset that she missed seeing these little cuties. As an additional assault on your senses you can also pet some of them. There were other babies too including horses, cattle, pigs, ducks, and lambs. They were so small and soft! I think their barn wasn't quite as smelly as their parent's barns were, but maybe I was just blinded by the baby animals.

Not so into stopping to smell things? Okay, we'll go for the taste test instead! (Actually you can also smell these too so I suppose that little intro was a bit misleading) What would you prefer?



Deep fried candy bars? (As if candy bars alone aren't fattening enough? I'll have to pass on this one!)

Maybe you'd prefer something on a stick?



Hotdish on a stick?



Fried fruit?

Seriously, you can pretty much get anything on a stick here. Or fried. I tried to avoid most of that stuff though. I'm already having enough weight problems so I went light on the food.

We did buy a large bucket of chocolate chip cookies. The kids were happy that we got them some yummy souveniers. They didn't last long though!



There are also huge blocks of butter there. They carve all of the dairy princesses and Princess Kay of the Milky Way too. It is done inside a cooler to keep the carvings fresh for all of the fair goers to see. If it stayed outside it would probably melt from the heat anyway.



Listen carefully. I can almost hear the bell tolling. These topiaries are just divine, aren't they? There were many musical acts to listen to. As well as droning politicians, news shows, and screams from the midway to name a few. I'm not sure who was playing at the grandstand this year but luckily no one visits here looking for any real information anyway. Actually this trip was a bit unplanned since we were only going to go if we got enough of MIL's projects done to take the time off, so at least I have an excuse for knowing nothing this time! LOL.



There are also a great many things to see. Elvis was there! I guess they don't call it Minnesota's great get together for nothing!



Our first stop was the horticulture building. Beautiful collections of floral arrangements, assorted flower collections, honey, corn, you name it it was there. This was one of my favorite arrangements. Don't those look like fireworks?



Even crop art! Peanut would have liked to do this too. They had a station for the kids to create their own.



Lots of things to look at for shopping too! This was my favorite collection place. What a wonderful variety. I saw at least 10 things that I really wanted to buy in here!

I just adore looking at all of the prize winning art work, foods, crafts, plants, animals, people, parades, news shows, and souveniers from all over the world. There are endless things to see and do.

We had a great visit to the fair this year. The kids opted not to go since (heaven forbid) there was a lot of walking involoved. We parked about 6 blocks from the fairgrounds at one of Cheesehead's friend's son's houses. We thought it would be weel worth it to avoid the fair traffic and exorbitant parking prices. It was also good excercise. Well, at least it was until we walked the whole fair two or three times. My feet were killing me by the time we were done! I guess that will teach me not to wear sandals for all day walking around the fair, won't it?

Goodness me, look how I've been prattling on! I suppose I'd better get going to bed if I want to be able to help Cheesehead with the shed's deck tommorrow.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

9 comments:

Cindy said...

I had heard great things about the MN State Fair. It looks like a great, fun, fair day! I can't believe the butter carvings. That's crazy.

tina said...

I cannot believe your kids did not go. That would never fly with mine. They love the fair, walking or not. Thanks for the super good experience of the state fair. Liked the butter carvings.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cinj! Glad you had a greta time! Our Allentown Ag Fair is going on this week, too, but we've decided to go to the Pocono Garlic Festival this year instead, sinc ewe've never been. I must say, the animals were and are always my favorite part, too!

lisa said...

I miss going to the fair! That looks like a great time...I heard they carved butter, but the pictures make it real. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I think all you Minnesota folks love a state fair more than others. I've been to several blogs where they are showing these pretty pictures. I enjoyed the tour you gave and especially your telling of it.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Wow what fun!! I love those topiaries!!! And what is a hot dish on a stick? I have never heard of that one. Fried candy bars??? Sounds pretty interesting. I love corn dogs at the fair. They are my favorite!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had loads of fun. Can't believe your kids didn't go. That's a big thing here. Everybody goes to the fair, rain or shine. Mostly rain. Mud every where.
Carved butter??????

Unknown said...

Cindy- It's a great fair to visit. Not that I've been to very many in my life time, but I have gone quite often. Not every year though. Leave it to us to go to the MN state fair when we actually live in WI!

Tina- I was surprised myself, but I was somewhat glad too. Is that horrible of me? They always make me feel like I have to rush through looking at the stuff. I know I don't really have to, but I just HATE listening to their complaints. They like to push my buttons I guess.

Ben- You'll have to tell us how it went. I've never been to a garlic festival before. Do they serve garlic bread there?

Lisa- I had always heard about the butter carving, but never went into the dairy building for whatever reason. Cheesehead wanted to see his friend when he came to work so we wandered all around the area and saw everything there was to see.

Anna- Well, when you live up here in no man's land (AKA God's country) we have to enjoy the simple pleasures of life and enjoy the few short months of nice weather while we can.

Cindee- Aren't they cool? There were tons of them, but I couldn't show them all now. I'll save some to share in the boring winter months when there's nothing else to do but wait for the snow to melt.

I can't say I've ever tried hotdish on a stick. Actually I've never tried any of those booths I took pictures of, but as I looked at them I just HAD to take a picture. They just sounded so odd. I imagine it would be some sort of hotdish that's breaded and then fried or something?

Lola- Yahshureyoubetcha. I was surprised as well. They sure complained about it when we talked about all of the stuff we did. They wanted us to go back again this year so they could go. I told them "Ya snooze, ya loose. Maybe next year.". I'm such a nice mom, aren't I? The only thing my son seemed to remember from last time was the bucket of cookies. I guess we know where his priorities lay!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time at the fair...I didn't go this year as it was hotter than I like and all that food! One of these times when you come to the cities we'll have to meet :).