Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Foraging For Food Guidelines

I have recently started to gather some of my food from nature. This is due in part to finances and partly because we are trying to keep chemically laden foods out of our diet.

Having been a "city" girl all of my life, I was never taught anything about wild foods in nature so it took a bit of research to figure things out. If they had a book called 'Foraging for Dummies' I'd probably buy it, but seeing as how there wasn't much interst in that type of book apparently (none have been published yet that I know of) I was forced to do a bit of work. I gleaned information from a variety of places including my meager experiences, small tidbits in books, and a few scant articles on the internet. I thought I would write those lessons down here on the internet to make others like me have an easier time figuring this old seemingly long forgotten art out.

1. If you don't know what it is, don't eat it.
2. Be aware of your surroundings. Some animals (or bees!) may live nearby and feel protective of their home.
3. Know what parts of the plant are edible and which parts aren't.
4. When trying something new, try it in moderation... you know, like the way you introduced your babies to new foods. Some foods may not agree with you.
5. Look in places that are not polluted or near busy road ways for safety's sake.
6. Leave some food for the wildlife and future plant making. We must keep nature in mind while we are also trying to feed ourselves and our families.
7. Do not harvest on private land without the owner's permission. Remember that just because they give you permission once does not mean you get unlimited access to their property.
8. Always bring a way to carry your treasures home with you without damaging it.
9. Havest plants when they are fully mature and ready for picking. Know what you are doing or you may become ill.
10. Some wild plants must be processed before eating. Know which plants these are and find out proper techniques for doing so.
11. If harvesting on public land, know the rules and follow them.

I've been working on harvesting some things from nature the last couple of months. I will share specific information that I have found about each thing at a later date. The rules above apply to pretty much anything that you may find.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great tips & info Cinj!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Great information! Do you have a local farmers market, I am so blessed in MSP to be close. I love going every weekend when I can. It's always sad to see the season end....

Have a blessed Sonday!
Hugs,
Kathi :)

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

I need to do that too. Sounds like a great idea. Tell me, did you follow stuarts instructions to get back on blotanical? I tried and it didn't work for me.

Anonymous said...

Great post, Cinj! I just discovered a book at the sustainable living fair that you need to get. It's called "Start Mushrooming," and features the six safest, most easily identifiable and delicious wild mushrooms for beginners to collect, including recipes and drying/storage tips for each mushroom! The authors are experts, and they're both Minnesotans, so it should be perfect for you! I got it at Cabela's for just $7.95, but I'm sure Amazon must have it, too.

Unknown said...

PGL- No problem.

Kathi- Yes, there's one at Pioneer Park in Rhinelander Saturday mornings until noon but I always seem to get so busy I forget to go.

Debbi- Yes, I followed Stuart's directions and it actually worked for me this time. Anything I can do to help? It takes a little processing time too so they can reverify your feed. I hope to be able to pick your posts again soon!

Ben- That sounds like a great book. We've got lots of wild mushrooms around here. I won't go pick them though since I don't know if they're poisonous or not though. Thanks!

tina said...

Great tips and free food is always good. My husband and son caught a big huge catfish once and I cooked it for dinner. It was so good! I could not believe we did not have to go to the grocery store for it.

Anonymous said...

Free food is great. I love when my raspberries are producing and I can just gather a bowl for breakfast. I always forget to go to my farmers market too but I swear, next year, I'm going to do better at that. I really want to start helping the farmers and eating "local."

Roses and Lilacs said...

Hi Cinj, I did a post about 'wilding' a few months ago. I don't do mushrooms because I'm afraid of them, but I do collect and use purslane because it contains more Omega 3 than any other plant. It tastes pretty good too kind of lemony. Lamb's quarters is very plentiful around here to so I use that quite a bit.
Marnie