Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Frost already? Say it isn't so!

We had a frost advisory, so this should come as no surprise. Isn't it too early in the fall to have frost though? I'm sure Cheesehead was grumbling at me this morning as he was scraping his windows. You see, I've been too busy to move the stuff from the garage to the shed so we are still not able to park our cars in the garage yet. I guess that means I've got too much going on.

Clearing out the garage will become a priority this weekend. Right after I poly the moldings that is. I need a warmish spot to do my work now, don't I? Hopefully I'll get that finished today, we'll see how motivated I am. I have to be prety motivated though not to drop by and chat with everyone though since I like talking with my cyber buds!

Once again tecnology is trying to stand in my way of communicating, but I will prevail. These pictures are straight off my camera with no editing help from the computer since it is refusing to upload my pictures. Grr. That just means it will take me longer to get to the real work of the day. Maybe I've got my priorities messed up....



Anyway, there is frost just about everywhere out there. I could see my breath puff out of my mouth as I talked to Peanut on the way to the bus stop. There is a brisk chill to the air that makes the body scream out a request for more than just a spring jacket on mornings like this. I suppose I should haul out the winter coats. I am pretty sure that means the petunias are done for.



My side yard grass that I just planted is coming in nicely, but surprisingly that is the only area of the yard that didn't get frost. I guess my grass is being protected. Yay. Some of it is almost 4 inches tall already. See it coming in in the background there? The cool, wet weather has helped it to come in beautifully. Here's hoping it gets well established this fall so I have a wonderful yard come spring.

In the foreground you can see my vinca run wild. I guess it's trying to escape the cold, vying for it's freedom. I have never let it get this long before. I suppose that's yet another sign that I've been a bit too busy as of late....



With all of this cold weather abounding as of late, I went up to check on the beehive. Apparently the blackberry and hazelnut bushes surrounding it aren't caring for all of this cold weather, the leaves are dropping like crazy. The ferns are withering up, leaving a pretty clear shot of the hive. I almost went closer to see if the bees were gone for the year, but the thought of that last bee sting made me rethink that. They're probably gone, but better to be safe than sorry.



Some of the trees are protesting this sudden cold snap too. The ash tree has already dropped just about all of it's leaves. Do you see that poor little scrawny stick in front of the maple tree? The colors on the maple have moved to more reds than anything, but it is still alive with color.

It seems that fall is already on it's way out here making room for another long winter.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

9 comments:

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Oh dear frost!!! I hope you got the things saved you wanted to. Our first frost is usually around November 15th(-: That is my sons bday and almost every year we had a bday party for him it would frost on or before that day! So of course all my flowers were dead. Oh well I guess its either frost or rain...(-: Have a great weekend!!!

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Wow, you have frost and we have killer humidity.

Anonymous said...

It seems too early to me too (for frost) but I know we could get it here anytime now also. If that happens, I will be doing a mad scurry to haul in my tropical and tender plants. Your fall photos are really pretty tho.

Anonymous said...

Frost already! I shouldn't get my first frost for awhile now, and no heavy ones until at least November. The season is changing fast in your neck of the woods.

tina said...

It does seem kind of early, but I know in Maine they are looking at the same thing. Frost already...it is so. Darn!

Anonymous said...

Can't imagine frost as we are still quite warm here in Fl. I love your Fall pics.
That bee nest---don't bother it as the hornets are still in it. And will be as long as it's cool. If it warms up look out. If it's not a hornets nest it could be a ground bee. Hornets are bigger. See if you can find out which one it is. I'm curious.

Unknown said...

Cindee- Luckily it wasn't a hard frost so it looks like things are doing okat still. I did round up the things I want to try to overwinter into the garage. Probably pointless with the cats running around, but I may have another cat free room I can set them up in soon. We'll see!

Debbi- Want to split the difference? LOL.

Kathleen- I know that mad scurry, I've done it before. Luckily I have nothing tropical outside so I should be okay.

Racquel- You can say that again. A little over a week ago it was in the 80's. (It was a week ago Friday because that was my daughter's field trip. Crazy weather.)

Tina- 'Tis the season I suppose. I wish it would hold off for a bit longer though.

Lola- I'll try. I was looking them up before without much luck. They were grayish black and white striped. I looked for some pictures but didn't really see any that I though looked like a close match.

Anonymous said...

I googled & from what I found it is a hornets nest. Only 1 opening at bottom of nest. The nest is anchored to limbs or something of that sort. It sounds as though you may have a sensitivity to stings. You will have to be very careful---if stung again seek the advice of a doctor. I have to be very careful.
There are different kinds-hornets, wasps, ground & air, yellow jackets, paper wasp & bees. Bees leave their stinger in you so it keeps pumping venom into you from the sac. Let me know if you find anything else.

lisa said...

I got some frost here too, and now the temps will be in the mid-70's this weekend!