Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Fun Fall Projects

So many things remind me of fall. Colored leaves, apples, and pumpkins are just a few. I have been battling with my camera and computer for quite a while now, so I just decided to lump all of these projects into one post since I actually could get photos uploaded today.

Last week I made some more home made apple sauce. The kids just love it. One of my son's friends wanted some to take home with him when he had some one day this summer.



This time I used a variety of different apples and I made a larger quantity than I had previously made. Usually I use about 6 apples, but this time I used much more than that. Want to know how I made it? It's really simple! Sorry I don't have any measurements for the ingredients, I just eyeball it.

I peel the apples first. MIL laughed when I got out the vegetable peeler to peel the apples for the apple pie she wanted to make, but she was amazed at the ease of the process. I think I've made a new convert!

After the apples are peeled it can be kind of a pain to core and slice the apple. No need for expensive kitchen gadgets (although I DO find them vey appealing), I use a simple vegetable slicer, do you see it? It cuts the core right out for yo so you don't waste much of your apple at all. If you'd like the pieces to be smaller, you simply cut them smaller with a paring knife.

Then just throw them in a slow cooker. You can also make it on the stove, but I really prefer the crock pot methed. I just add some water (not too much though unless you like your sauce to be really runny). I add enough to cover the bottom of the pot. Sprinkle a little sugar approximately 1/3 of a cup. Brown sugar can also be used. I like to add some cinnamon for a little extra flavor although it's not neccessary.



Then simply stir it all together so all of the apple slices are evenly coated, turn it on low and let it simmer for about 6 hours stirring occassionally. Sorry, no finished product pictures, but they were a rich golden brown and oh the cinnamon smell in my kitchen was to die for!

We did some pumpkin carving this weekend too.



I used to be afraid to let the kids do any carving. It was a good idea to keep them from the knives when they were 3 and 4, I have NO idea why I waited so long to turn the reins over to them.



They were pretty excited this year to be given the control of the project. I was simply the seed roaster (next time I should wait until I feel well before roasting. I burned them this time) and gut scraper. Peanut drew the pattern with washable marker until she thought it looked just right and son wielded the knife. Didn't they do a good job? I guess my illness made me more willing to hand over creative control to the kids. They had a great time.



We also decorated with some projects we made previous years. Here is some of the collection on our stove. I think my favorite is the flower pot pumpkin with the inverted drainage dish used as a lid. We also made a set of felt placemats with fall leaf colors, a tissue paper ghost (set up on a cup for added height), pom-pom spiders, a painted wooden pumpkin, and a cutout pumpkin with painted wax paper between two black construction paper pieces. I have a few new plans I'd like to try to get to doing with them too, but time will tell if we ever get around to it.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

7 comments:

Cindy said...

My mom would make apple butter in the crock pot. Mmmm, it always smelled so good. The kids did a good job on the pumpkin!

tina said...

Yum the apple sauce!

Gail said...

Kids need to learn and they learn from doing! Right;-) I bet the applesauce was a big hit....it sounds good!

Gail

garden girl said...

That's a great idea, cooking it in a crock pot! I've never tried that. Thanks for the tip Cinj. I love homemade applesauce. I usually skip the sugar and use lots of cinnamon. Brown sugar does sound tempting though! When I was a kid Mom would sometimes let me eat a lump of brown sugar when we made cookies together. Love the stuff!

Victoria Williams said...

Thanks for the applesauce recipe. My husband's been yearning for some homemade applesauce and now I can give him some!
The kids' pumpkin turned out great.
Hope you're feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

Yum to the applesauce! I'm sure your house smelled wonderful while it was cooking.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

You have been very busy! I have never made apple sauce in a crock pot, what a great idea :) Jack looks awesome, your children did a great job and kept all their limbs! What a fun time isn't it?