Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Turn off the Noise!

Okay, has this political season drove anyone else as crazy as it has me? I mean, my dad used to vote religiously religiously every year. Why on earth would he suddenly STOP? Hmm, I can think of only one thing that's kept him away from the polls these last few elections. If you were to guess death, you would be correct. NOTHING else would keep him from the polls OR discussing politics. Why then does he get so many pieces of mail at my house asking him to vote for someone or to contribute to a campaign? He had such a passion for politics, he and my sister used to debate each and every year. He was an election judge more times than I can count on both hands. He even went to the primaries every year. I have been a bit lax about voting, but at least I have never missed a presidential election.

A rant just started rolling around in my head. It struck me as such a valid point I had to post it wherever I had available to post it. So, here it is...

Sorry, I know this isn't a popular topic but all of these political commercials and slander are driving me absolutely insane. Are people really of the opinion that you tell people something often enough that it really becomes true?
It just floors me that everyone always points fingers at everyone else and accepts no blame in anything. What ever happened to the whole idea of taking responsiblity for our actions and choices? Isn't that what we are trying to teach our children or doesn't anyone care if our children learn to be responsible?

The democrats blame the republicans and George Bush for everything. Who's been in charge of the both the house and the senate the last two years anyway? He's not in there writing laws and then patting himself on the back for a job well done, he simply signed into law what the majority of politicians voted for in the first place.

Wake up America. It's no one party's fault. All politicians are equally to blame no matter what you hear them telling you in a political advertising commercial. Our main problem has become that everyone is becoming greedy, wanting everything for their own interests and not caring about the general public. I think a good way to help address this issue is to stop allowing people to choose being a politician as a career, wasn't it meant as a side line job to help the voice of the people be heard anyway?

Don't be fooled by lies and false promises. Shiny bobbles dangled in front of voters should not in itself entice a voter to vote for someone. I don't know about you, but doesn't offering something (money) in exchange for something else (your vote) constitute bribery?

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

7 comments:

Skeeter said...

We normally dont do the early voting thing but the Saint and I went ahead and voted today. Stood in line for 50 minutes but now it is over for us. Too bad we cannot make the phone stop ringing now that we have cast our vote... After voting, we went to the County Fair for corndogs and funnel cakes for dinner! I love America!

I agree one way to stop the corruption is to not allow career politicians....

Anonymous said...

Even death does not stop something like this.
They are paid too much money anyway.

Anonymous said...

Now imagine if you lived this everyday like I do! 365 days a year and 24hrs a day. We don't mind really. At least my dh is on the managing side and not the political side. He just juggles it daily.

Since I am at this daily--I will give you something to think about. I am for politics as a career. The reason is that constant turnover never accomplishes much. That is why we need to be educated when we vote. Things often take years to come to the head of a long list of must haves before like to haves.

You aren't actually voting for the next 4 years, you are voting for generations of years. What the politicians put in to action today where the ideas of those voted in to office when our parents voted.

Our town is hiring someone to do a long range plan so far in to the future that we won't even be alive when it happens. But you must plan and you must have good leaders to set those thoughts in to a productive future.

Unknown said...

Skeeter- I know! I got 4 phone calls yesterday reminding me to vote. If this money was spent on something useful like education there wouldn't be a shortage. Seriously, how many long distance phone calls need to be made anyway?

The fair sounds like a nice place to escape from those phone calls.

Lola- They sure are. Plus looka at all of the money we as a country pay for them to communte back home by airplane in addition to their wages AND better health care than the rest of the country. No wonder most politicians don't seem to see the need to fix things, they've got things pretty darn good.

Anna- You must be a saint to deal with it every day all the time. I think my head would explode!

That's a good point. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if those career politicians weren't so worried about how they can raise enough money to get re-elected. That's the worst part of it really.

Maybe the key would be to eliminate the need for fund raisers, phone calls, and political ads by having free televised debates so we could all watch and make up our minds for ourselves.

Oh, and those debates should be open to more than two candidates. You KNOW there are more than two people running for president, but no one ever seems to talk about anyone else.

I don't think most people care to educate themselves about the bigger picture, they just think what they hear on tv is right and they need to vote for certain people because they are going to give bigger tax cuts to the middle class. It's frustrating really that so many people operate this way.

They think throwing money at problems is how they will fix it all. It also doesn't seem to occur to them to think about WHERE that money is going to come from. They don't think creatively either, how much money could we save our taxpayers if we ran the government like I run my household?

You're right, our decisions WILL affect more than the next four years. I hope Americans are bright enough to put the picture together before election day.

Anonymous said...

Anna is SO right, about everything. and I wish it all wasn't so "partisan." We need to do what's right for America, not for one party or another. I think being educated before going to the polls is key. I'm not sure how many of us are?? I participated in early voting this year for the first time too. Turnout has been heavy so we'll see how it all shakes out. Whoever the next president is, will have a HUGE job in front of him turning things around.

Lona said...

Amen! I am so sick of it all I cannot wait until after Tuesday so all of the TV ads and pamphlets can stop. The automated phone calls is the last draw for me.It is just an invasion of privacy.I still felt like I was voting absentee for the lesser of two evil and that is sad.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Whew! Where's George Washington when we need him?

Have a great weekend!

Hugs,
Kathi :)