Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Treasures Galore

On a recent trip to Goodwill, I was reminded of the treasures that my grandmother used to make. I guess she isn't technically my REAL grandma, but she's the only grandmother I ever knew. My real grandmother died back when my father was back in college, LONG before I was ever even thought of. Recently I have begun wondering what my other grandmother was like. I suppose it is because of the ancestry research.



Back to the point of this particular post though which was a beautiful knit ensemble I saw hanging on the rack at Goodwill. It had these beautiful little flowers sewed onto it. This lovely baby sweater and bootie set portrayed such a feeling of innocence, it was absolutely captivating. I briefly contemplated buying it, but I had no use for it and decided to leave it for someone who actually might need something like that.

As I ran my hands over the soft, lovingly knitted yarn I couldn't help but let my mind wander back to all of the things my grandmother hat knit and/or crocheted for me.

There were countless hats and mittens, pillows,

vase covers for our wedding table center pieces, and

(My first afghan from her)

(College graduation afghan)

(our wedding aghan)
an afghan for every special occassion that she made for me.

She made booties for my children,


a baptism afghan for each of them, and a wonderful sweater for my daughter.

I suppose she may have taken a while to venture into sweater making later in life. I have most of the things she made around my house still, except the hats and mittens. I couldn't imagine giving that love away to anyone else who wasn't part of my family. I hope to keep these treasures for my grandkids one day, they'll be family heirlooms as long as I'm alive.

Does it seem selfish of me to hang on so greedily to these things? I took pictures of them, but I can't get my computer to pull up the pictures. Ack! Technology!

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

9 comments:

garden girl said...

Not selfish at all Cinj! Saving precious handmade baby things is a thoughtful thing to do. Passing those memories and the family heritage on to our children is part of what helps them feel firmly rooted in their families. The stories behind the people and the handmade items are important reminders of their heritage.

I've also saved handmade baby sweaters, hats, bonnets, booties, toys, and other items for my kids. My mom always gave that stuff away when were kids, so that it would get some use. The stuff I saved will get some use too, only it will be by the grandchildren, great grandchildren, and even great-great-grandchildren. I've saved things my great grandmother made for me, and one day they'll be passed on to my grandchildren, along with stories about their great great grandmother who I was privileged enough to meet and who my mom shared stories with us about.

Not everyone thinks this stuff is important. I know which of my kids do though, and they're the ones who will get the stuff and pass it and the stories to their children one day.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's selfish either Cinj. The baby sweater is so beautiful. I would have loved something similar for my daughter when she was little. I keep many things for sentimental reasons and probably shouldn't either. They take up space, no one else cares, etc. I figure someone can toss them after I'm gone if no one wants them by then.

Skeeter said...

I still have a hat my grandmother knitted for me when I was a child...

Unknown said...

I am SO glad that people aren't thinking I'm being silly for holding on to all of this stuff. I love handmade items but so many people seem to turn their noses up at them. It's just nuts. I mean with all of the love put into them I think they're extremely precious.

I have been telling the kids stories about family too, but if they're anything like I was at their age I wasn't listening. Hopefully at least one of them will develop an interest in family stories.

Cheesehead has been ragging on me to get rid of all of the "junk" we're never going to use again. I don't see it as junk.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely way to hold onto family memories of your grandmother Cinj! I don't think it's a selfish act at all. It is something nice you can pass down to your children & grandchildren.

Skeeter said...

Cinj, you might be surprised as to what the kids are absorbing... :)

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

What a beautiful sweater set, I can't imagine giving that one away but so many people do. I am a collector and saver, just my nature. You should hang on to your precious heirlooms to pass on. I don't have any from my childhood.

Nola said...

You are right to hold onto those items, they are treasures. I can't imagine what people were thinking when I see handmade items like that for sale in thrift shops or garage sales! How can people part with something someone went to the trouble to make especially for them? But some people are just all about the money; period.
I am visiting for the first time; I just popped over from Aunt Debbi's Garden. I will look around a bit longer...

Amy said...

I have many baby sets my mother knit for my children. They're still in beautiful condition so I washed them and carefully stored them. Classics like that never go out of style :)

I always feel a bit sad when I see handmade things for sale in the thrift store. Someone put so much love and time into those sweaters/blankets only to have the recipient give them away.