Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Scenting Homemade Soap Ideas

I got this great book at Goodwill this summer about making your own cleaners and stuff. One of the things it has in it is how to make soap with meat fat, so I am making a plan to make some soap.

My dilemma is I want to make it scented but it doesn't really say much about that in there. I love lavendar but my two plants are done blooming for the year. Do their stems smell too?

I have lots of plants in my yard, but it's been so cold that they're pretty much stems and leaves only at this point. How do I use them? Do I need blooms to scent my soap?

What else can I use with all of my blooms done already? I guess I didn't really plan this project out very well, did I? Any ideas you have to share with me would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know the answers to any of your questions Cinj, I just wanted to say it sounds like fun!! I hope someone else can help.

Cindy said...

Hi! I know you can use essential oils to scent hand soaps. All you need are a few drops and you can get it at the craft store. Although if the leaves of your lavender had scent when you rub them they would probably work too. I hope this helps, but just remember I'm no expert :)

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

I have a friend who makes homemade soap. I can ask her when I see her tomorrow.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

I have never made soap so I can't help you there but if you make some let me know I would like to buy some for a Christmas gift for my sister in law who is a natural type person and would love some homemade soap(-:

Unknown said...

This is all new to me too. Thanks for checking in everyone. I'll continue with my research and hope I can get everything to work out.

Kathleen- I'll post some picture if I get my camera business all figured out.

Cindy- Oh, I forgot all about that. I actually have some essential oil that I bought from daisy blue naturals. It's Peppermint. Would that be weird to put into it? I'll keep my options open.

Debbi- That would be great. Let me know if you find anything out.

Cindee- Wow, that's a neat idea. I've never made it before so I'm not sure how great it would be. I need to find out how much lye costs. I could try to make some lye from wood ash but I think I'm busy enough to take a little short cut.

I have a bunch of molds I actually bought for making jello jigglers or lollipops. I have race cars, fruit, hearts, and Christmas shape molds. Would it be weird to make some small soaps too? Maybe in different colors and stuff. I think I may even have enough to make a couple of different batches. I wonder if I would be able to use cookie cutters to shape the molds.