Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Can They do That?

So I was minding my own business working to get my home mortgages for my house in MN figured out. You know how much I've been stressing about this over the last year. The bottom is falling out now.

I logged onto our account yesterday and they had taken all of my money out of BOTH my checking and my savings accounts. In all they took almost $2,000 from us. I didn't even get told this was even a possibility of happening. I've been talking so much with both the bank and the bill collectors I feel like we're almost on a first name basis with them. Why didn't they tell me they could and would do this?

Now I have NO idea how I'm going to pay our bills that are coming up to be automatically withdrawn out of our accounts this week. We need to come up with $1,000 fast. With no savings or checking we are going to have a whole lot of bouncing checks too. No one will give us a loan with a foreclosure looming on the horizon and we have almost nothing available on some credit cards that we used to be able to buy anything we wanted on them. As unreasonable as they're being I don't know that they will even contemplate waiving those charges for the bounced checks either. It's NOT my fault!

How can they just steal all of my money like that? I've been a good customer of theirs for almost 20 years, why are they being so unreasonable and crazy now? I keep calling them and trying to figure out a way to refinance our current house to add that loan to it but I don't want to triple the interest rate I'm paying either. They keep saying I can't refinance anyway. How can they be so unreasonable with someone who's trying to get them money, but just doesn't have the means to do it? Are we going to loose the house we're living in now because of this second mortgage on our other house that they forced us to take out when we didn't even really want to?

I'm trying to practically give that house away so I can be rid of the problem, but it isn't working. No one's buying.I've done everything in my power I could do and asked every question to every person I could find. I've done everything I can humanly do, yet it's just never good enough. What in the world am I going to do?

I'm so stressed! Where's the chocolate? Any advise? Do you know a good lawyer? I can't afford to pay any fees though either. What on earth are we supposed to do????

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

9 comments:

Amy said...

Cinj I am so, so sorry. I feel sick for you reading this, and I will be praying for your family that everything works out. I wish I understood better how all of this works so I could give you some helpful ideas.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Cinj .. I can't imagine the stress you are under .. this is horrific and I think it is unethical that they did this without talking to you first.
I don't know much about the American financial situation when it comes to debt management. But I think I have seen commercials for free debt counselling and management. They can't get blood out of a stone, so you would think they would work with you for a reasonable payment plan.
Have you looked for this type of counselling company on the net ?
My heart goes out to you with all of this going on .. hang in .. things have to get better at some point.
Joy

Nola said...

Oh, gosh, I'm so sorry for you. You would think they'd at least give you a "head's up" on what they were thinking of doing. I don't have any advice because I don't understand all of that anyway; I can only wish you luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cinj, I think Joy's advice is good. There are institutions that are not for profit for debt counseling. In the immediate future, cancel the auto pay and don't write any checks. You should have power over the auto pay and be able to cancel it anytime. Call the customer service 800 number for your banks and see if they can help you. I didn't know they could take your money without notifying you either. Write an email to your congressman, pronto!

Frances

Skeeter said...

Gee, wish i could be of help to you Cinj but I am at a loss on this one. I have no idea how to help you. But I do suggest you get a Probono type lawyer to sort this all out....

Anonymous said...

omg, how horrific Cinj. I had no idea they could do that either. I would write an email to the Suze Orman show or follow Joys advice if you aren't already seeking debt counseling. I wish I knew something good to say. It's got to be the most stressful situation to have hanging over your head. From what I understand, all the bail out money that was given to the banks has not gotten them to renegotiate with homeowners facing foreclosures. I keep hoping things will turn around for you. Take it a day at a time and keep hanging in there.

garden girl said...

what a nightmare Cinj. I'm so sorry you're going through this. My heart goes out to you and Cheesehead. How stressful this must be.

Unknown said...

Amy- Thank you. Every prayer helps, I have seen that first hand and know what good prayer can do.

Joy- I thought so to, but after talking to the bank apparently it is legal for them to take our money without notification. I think THAT is one law that needs to go! I understand that they want and need their money, they have a right to it. I just don't think it should be legal without giving a couple days notification. Now I'm going to have a bunch of checks bouncing that places are taking automatically, some of them didn't get enough notification and can't stop the process. What a nightmare. I've thought about credit conselling, but I have a plan that should get us out of this mess soon.

Nola- They should have classes on this stuff, I didn't understand it either. It sure would have been nice if someone had told me that they could do this!

Frances- I made all the calls yesterday and the ones that weren't open over the weekend this morning. I don't think my phone has ever got such a good workout in it's life! I will be writing all of the government officials I can think of. Another law that NEEDS to be changed!

Skeeter- I talked to the bank as soon as the proper department opened this morning. I must have been on the phone with them at least 20 minutes. I bawled like a baby and had to take a break before I could make the rest of my calls. I like to feel composed and confident when discussing these issues. They did agree to a payment plan, MIL has offered to help us make the payments so this kind of thing shouldn't happen again. Where's the tylenol???

Kathleen- Ya, I was hopeful that the bailout would help us little people. Apparently only wall street and the auto makers are benefitting. I guess I should take off my rose colored glasses and start looking at the real world!

Suze Orman may be a good option too.

Linda- Poor Cheesehead, he was in the bathroom all morning before going to work. He's awfully nervous and talking about working a few more hours. So, 61 hours isn't enough? What's wrong with that picture?

I hope to get my exercise gym finished today so I can work off my stress instead of using food to do it.

Gail said...

Dear cinj, I think you have had some great advice...I haven't anything to add other than a few hugs. I hope all the calls you've made and the letters you write reap good benefits. Good luck, dear...Gail