Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

November Bloom Day

I didn't think I would have very many blooms outside and I was right. Lots to look at and babble about though, so this may be my longest post ever. Just call me jabber jaws!



Surprisingly my pansies are still hanging in there. It's been lows in the teens and twenties latelyI hope some of them go to seed before they die for the year, these little pansies are so pretty aren't they? I suppose I did too good of a job deadheading them in warmer weather. Now I have to urge the little thing to hurry up and make a few seeds.



I should have some mums to show you too, but I never bought any of that spray on them so they got chomped by some critter or another. I did manage to put up some soap in my apple trees to hopefully keep them from getting eaten by those nasty dear that enjoyed them so much last year. I'm not sure that it will work, but I figured I'd never know if I didn't give it a try.



The hydrangeas that struggled their way into bloom for October didn't last long. They didn't all even get to bloom this year. I have some of their dried blooms left on the bush though.



I finally got those roses snipped and brought in. I'm not sure if some of them were worth snipping, but I decided to bring them in anyway. I got this cute little bud vase when my son was born. Doesn't it look like it was made for them?



These poor little...candies? lost their home for the time being. I didn't hear them grumble too much when I took them out. I haven't had the heart to try to eat them, I got them from my friends when I moved from MN and when I look at them I remember them and the fun times we used to have.

Now I just need to find a protective place for them so the cats won't eat them alive. I'm pretty confident that at least two of them will bloom but I don't know if some of them have enough energy stored up in them for some of the small ones to bloom. I don't think I'll have enough rose petals for my soap scenting though. From the research I did it requires a lot of petals. Even if all of these somehow manage to bloom I just don't think it's going to be able to happen this year. I'll have some rose soap next year though!



I used to think our bathroom was a safe place to keep plants away from the cats, but apparently Cheesehead lets them into our bathroom every morning. Speedy attacked my poor scheflora plant to death. I wondered why it was wilting and I babied it all I could. I had no idea why it was whithering away after I managed to keep it alive for over two years to have it suddenly up and die on me. Evidently she enjoyed a morning wrestle with the plant. They don't like much activity and are very sensitive plants. I guess he must not have been aware of that. By the time we got everything pieced together it was too late to revive the plant.



Our pine trees were kind enough to put down a thick blanket of pine needles all over our yard. I have already cleaned it several times, I don't think I'll bother again. I sure hope that all of the acidity doesn't hurt the other plants. You'll probably see a bunch of needles in some of my other pictures too.



The companion plants don't seem to like the cold very much but it doesn't seem to bother the dusty millers. I've been thinking about trying to propogate some of these hearty annuals since they're still hanging in there. What do you think?



I also have the vinca, spikes, and a cordyline that are still thriving. I didn't go down by the road to take a picture of my whisky barrel this morning since I was wearing my pj's again but I trust that you'll just take my word for it. Soon I should have room to bring my tabletop greenhouse in to my craft room too. I'm rather excited about the prospect of having my craft room ready for projects.



If you've never seen any of my projects, I do a wide variety of things in there including things for my garden. I didn't actually make the wooden flower, but I painted it. I think I might be able to make some more of these beauties in the future though, they don't look too hard to make. I've got plenty of scrap lumber!



I also fixed these Packer ducks after the weathered a hail storm a couple of years ago. I'm still working in fixing Cheesehead's fishing guy which was damaged in the same storm though. I'm also going to make some bird houses and/or feeders.



I enjoy feeding animals as long as they don't eat everything up on me. They can help themselves to the berries on both the burning bush and barberry bushes since I have no clue of what I could do with any of those berries.

I enjoyed our walk through the garden together this morning. I suppose I'd better go get dressed and get some work done if I want to take some time off this afternoon for some family fun!

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy bloom day Cinj! You have way more November blooms than I would have anticipated since you've had snow already (am I remembering that right?) and you're so much further north. I hope your pansies set some seeds too and I definitely would have brought the roses in, just as you did. Enjoy them while they last! Have a great weekend!

Nola said...

How funny, it's almost too cold for your pansies, and it's just now cool enough for mine! Tonight we are threatened with our first freeze. This afternoon, I'll be moving everything into the garage... Have garden, will travel!

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you have blooms still what with the snow you've already received. Those pansies are such champions at this time of the year aren't they? They really should be named something more fitting their nature. :)

tina said...

Love those pansies!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I didn't think anything ate Mums because the foliage is slightly aromatic. You must have some really hungry beasties hanging around.

Gail said...

Hi Cinj, A very nice post and I am glad you brought the rose buds in! Pansies are going to sustain me this next week when we get very cold weather! I hope yours can survive your weather, too. Have a lovely weekend, Gail

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Can't believe anything is still growing in the snow/frost(-: At least you know you have some good stand by plants that will keep on going despite the cold(-: Pansies are my favorite. They just brighten up the winter months here for me too(-: I also love primroses.
I am excited for you to get your craft room going(-: I know how fun that will be(-: I can't wait to see your projects too!! I guess my projects are back to the kitchen table since I no longer have a spare room to work in. Oh well I haven't felt like doing much anyhow. Maybe during Christmas Vacation.

Linda said...

Yuck ... snow! At least you found some blooms to snap photos of. We've had rain, rain, rain all day long ... The November Blahs!

Linda, aka Crafty Gardener

Amy said...

It looks cold over there! Isn't it amazing how tough those pansies are? Sometimes a few of mine come back in the spring.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cinj, jabber jaws is funny, my teacher used to call me motor mouth, a similar moniker! HA Maybe that is why we like blogging so much, we get to talk all we want. I want to comment about the pine straw, I have read that it really doesn't over acidify soil like some people think, and is a nice neutral mulch, very beneficial to the plants. I actually buy it to spread since our pines don't cover enough of the garden to fall naturally and cover things. I am excited about your craft room too, I think the table top greenhouse will give you lots of enjoyment, offspring in Asheville have one and love it, but they have to remember to open it for air circulation, a must for plants. I have that potential for mold on the windows too, and have to remember to keep them wiped, having forgotten sometimes and been unpleasantly surprised too. Happy crafting!
Frances

Unknown said...

Hey everyone! Thanks for stopping by.

Kathleen- Yes, we've had snow 3 times so far. Not much accumulation to speak of and it all melts fairly quickly. We're having a nice weekend so far, I hope you are too!

Nola- At least all you have to do is move it into the garage. We gardeners need to take care of our lovely plants. At least the pansies like the cooler weather.

Raquel- You've got that right. Usually I have nothing blooming up here so I think I did well too. I wonder why people who are called pansies are considered weak (we saw Madagascar 2 yesterday). I might take being called a pansy as being a compliment. They bright, tough, and pretty.

Tina- Me too!

MMD- I guess so. I didn't think anything ate mums either. They tend to nibble on them when I'm not in the living room to observe either so sometimes it's hard to figure out who does what.

Gail- Thanks. I doubt my pansies will make it through our sub zero temps, but I'll stop by and admire yours when you post their pictures.

Cindee- I've been using the couch, kitchen table, and Cheesehead's workbench for the last couple of years. It will be strange to have a dedicated space for it. I've got some great ideas for our yearly Christmas ornament making.

Linda- Those blahs are easy to get, aren't they? All of the gray skies and loss of color. Soon it will be December, one of my favorite times of year despite the snow and cold. December brings such a feeling of love, joy, peace, and charity I just can't help but enjoy it.

Amy- It has been very cold here. Your pansies come back? Really? Wouldn't that be nice! It gets so cold here I never get mine back except the seedlings.

Frances- Yes, I think blogging definately suits us. It's good to hear that about the pine needles. I put loads of them onto my future garden site when I cleaned up. I don't need to buy any here, that's for sure!

I'll have to show off my craft room when I get it all set up. We don't have the money for drywall or anything so I'm just putting up shelving on the studs and dressing it up a little bit. Mostly just getting everything organized and accessible.

garden girl said...

Hi Cinj, I'm really surprised you still have any blooms, especially considering all the snow. I'm jealous of all your pine needles. They make wonderful mulch! I'm with Frances - they don't over-acidify the soil.

I'm looking forward to seeing your craft room and your tabletop greenhouse. Happy Bloom Day!