Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Family Findings

I just love finding new family members, it's exhilerating. I found Cheesehead's grandfather's grandparents' census records last night. It was so exciting. These moments bring me so much joy when I can tell MIL what I have found too. She has even started talking to her dad about these people too, I guess I'm getting her hooked too. He only seems to remember 7 kids but the census lists 9 of them so I still have to figure out what happened along the way to make 2 dissappear.

There was a sister of one of my great grandparents who moved away to Texas when the rest of the family stayed in MN. My great aunt told me that this particular person moved away because of an affair that she had with her sister's husband which resulted in a pregnancy and subsequent adoption of said child. Some of her 1/2 siblings are still living, but I wonder if this adoptee knows if she has family she doesn't even know out there. I wonder if she's alive still, if so she would be in her 90's. I'm sure at this point she really wouldn't care if she never found the dysfunctional family that gave her up.

I have found so many wonderful nuggets about my family members that I never knew before. I was given a book of my grandpa's memories when I was confirmed, I need to find that book and see if it has some more information I can add to my research in there.

It's amazing what people start to remember when you find records with family member's names too. There are names I've never heard of, but others can tell me things about that person which can lead to even more new information. Sometimes I find it hard to pull myself away from my research to do anything else, but I know there are other things I need to do.

My dad's side of the family all came from Sweden. There are so many Swedish towns that they have come from, it's hard to remember them all. I need to do some research on them. Some of these places include Motala, Vodersta, and Grefbeck. The people are all different branches of the same family. Are these towns all from different areas or all the same area?

I want desperatley to subscribe to the world service at ancestry.com so I can look up more information about them. I probably couldn't read the records if they were in Swedish anyway, but maybe I'll learn how to someday. Who were their parents? Did they leave sisters and brothers behind? Where did they live? So many questions, so little access to what I want to lay my hands on!

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes it is fun to make those kind of discoveries. You keep searching and it leads to more questions. It's a fun hobby and great for family conversations. I found that I learned a lot about history too.

Linda Lunda said...

Hi! What a great work you are doing.....
Im from Sweden... I dont recognize the names of the location you mention... only Motala.
Linda

Linda Lunda said...

Hmm.... can Vodersta be Vadstena?
And

Skeeter said...

While in Williamsburg, VA last month, we went into the William and Mary College. We found a plaque on the wall with the name of a relative of the Saints family! That was so cool to see a name on the wall of someone from our past that went to the oldest college in the US.

Keep digging, you never know what you may find next….

Gail said...

Sounds like a good hobby and wonderful information to share...my cousin is very into researching the family history. I would love to know more about my paternal grandmother's Irish family from cork!

Unknown said...

Anna- You're right, I think of more questions every day.

Linda- So good to meet you! I didn't come up with the names so it could be just about anything as far as I'm concerned. Thanks.

Skeeter- Neat, isn't it? I'm finding lots more names to try to look up next time I decide to do some traveling!

Gail- It's a great hobby and so exciting to share my findings with others. It's not even as hard as it sounds either (er, sometimes at least!).