Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Our Favorite Meat Market

We went to MIL's house this weekend. Every so often when we go there, we like to take a little road trip to our favorite place for meat purchases. It is Louie's Finer Meats in Cumberland, WI.

Cumberland is only about 15 miles from her house. They don't seem to be able to find their way to the store unless Cheesehead is there to play chauffer though. I guess it's just as well since our favorite foods are not very good for us, but they sure make the mouth water.



It's nestled on the side of the road off the beaten path. The building is very small and unassuming so it would be hard to guess what their food would taste like. It was really busy that day too, I don't know that I've ever seen so many cars there.



You can probably see from the sign that they are award winning. If you tried their meat, you'd know why. They have many trophies and awards written in German inside to testify to this statement. Since I went there with Peanut, MIL, and Cheesehead, I didn't have a whole lot of time to ask any questions of anyone, but the trophies were given some some meat association of some sort.

I would guess they might take this little wagon on the road to fairs and such, I have seen them selling their brats here in the parking lot sometimes when we have come. For some reason we had never tried their brats before though. They were on sale this time, so we bought 10 to have for lunch on Saturday. Cheesehead's brother complained because we didn't buy any extra. We told him he'd better head on over there if he wants to buy some more.



As you walk through the doors the scent of spices and meats assail your nostrils. They have a large meat and cheese counter at the back of the store. Luckily they have numbers that the customers can take or I imagine that some people may stand around all day. The workers are very friendly and efficient though, so I don't really think something like that would happen.

We bought bacon, breakfast sausage, colby and colby jack cheeses, brats, and meat sticks. They have some samples too, in case you've never tried their mouth wateringly delicious meats. If you're ever in the area, it's a stop you need to make, you stomach and taste buds will thank you.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

7 comments:

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Mmm, I can almost smell it here in Minnesota. I am blessed to have a long standing family business near by.

Have an awesome day!
Kathi :)

Nola said...

You are making my mouth water. Our very last meat market, Liska's, closed it's doors about 2 years ago. I could have cried! Stanley Liska made the best klobase in the world! I loved the smell in his market, like you said, all spicy. We can buy Czech sausages from another little town, but they just aren't Liska's!

Anonymous said...

My kind of road trip--food! German meats have a different flavor than our southern dishes. We had lots when we lived in ND. Then we lived in California and enjoyed the annual Oktober Fest.

Looks like you guys got some good loot.

Anonymous said...

Yum. Sounds delicious. I've never been in a meat market like that before. I should check around and see if we have anything local like that. I'm sure the meats are much better than anything you buy at the grocery store.

Anonymous said...

Great post, Cinj! I felt like I was there at Louie's with you! It reminds me of Dietrich's Meats here in PA. We'd better enjoy (and support) those old-time family stores while we can!

Unknown said...

Kathi- Mmmm. When I lived in MN, I loked to go to Von Hansen's. There are lots of wonderful places out there, we just have to look for them!

Nola- I was having trouble finding a good specific describing word for what I smelled. Why did they close? It's always sad when the businesses we like to frequent fade away no matter what the reason.

Anna- For sure. We're some of those people who will drive a long way just for some really good food. I suppose it doesn't make sense to some people in these economic times but it's so worth it. I've never had authentic southern food before, but those Germans know how to make their sausage!

Kathleen- Yes! You've got to look around, they're very worthwhile. Cheesehead has a hard time when we have to have plain old grocery store meats after having some of this stuff. I guess I should try to find one in the area we live in so he doesn't feel too deprived.

Ben- Good to hear. If we keep supporting these businesses they should be around for a long time.

Skeeter said...

We loved the meat markets in Germany! We found one here in Augusta that is owned by a Germany family. They brought over the smokers from Germany and do it the old fashion way! Their meats are sooooo yummy and the real thing! Hard to find the real thing as everyone seems to cut corners and do it the Americanized way instead. Our owners may have to close shop soon due to bad health... Will be a sad day for us...