Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Felt Christmas Stockings

I had checked out a book from the library about traditional Swedish Christmas crafts. There were some great felt stockings in there that inspired my creations. While I'm not so sure that they would fit into the traditional category I think they are cute anyway.



Okay, so pale blue is hardly considered a Christmas color I had large quanities of it left over from my Sunday school teaching days. I made one for each niece and each nephew. I think I will also make one for each of my kids as they were quite impressed with these. The ones in the book were more ornate, but I didn't think kids would fully appreciate the intricacy of those crafts anyway.



I looked at some various stockings and free handed two different patterns so they wouldn't all look exactly the same.

After securing the pattern to two layers of felt with straight pins I cut the stockings out.

Rummaging through my craft supplies left me with many treasures to use as decorations. Beautiful buttons, felt cut outs from previous projects, beads, and sequins jumped out of their boxes and begged me to use them for loving Christmas gifts.

My sister has complained in the past about my "home-made junk" that I have given them in the past, but would these count? Who wouldn't want coordinated stockings for their kids? Am I asking for trouble in giving these as gifts? I didn't tell her that we are exchanging gifts this year as I don't expect her to give us gifts in return for these, would I be insulting if I just sent these without saying anything? Opinions please!

Now comes the question of which one should I give to who? I have a 16 year old nephew and 13 year old niece (who are really too old for stockings but I wouldn't want to leave them out), 9 and 7 year old nephews, and of course the baby niece. Do you think the ones with the sequins for the girls or....?

I have also made more felt ornaments to put into these stockings (and plenty of candy) before I mail them, but I'll save those pictures for another day.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

7 comments:

Dawn said...

I think these are cute! I would send them to you sister and if she says anything about it, just ask for the stocking back, that's not bad is it? Half the fun of crafts is making them and IF made for someone...that's twice as fun. Maybe with stuff in it she won't notice. I think your right, sequins for the girls....

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

They are cute and nobody is every too old for stockings. Sorry about your sister's "TUD" Mine beg for quilts and other things I make.

Anonymous said...

There is no reason for anyone to insult another like that and especially something so personal. I would cherish something given from the heart and do. My best friend has seen some lean years lately. A few years back, she gave me some seat cushions like for bleachers. They were simple and she actually got them free from her bank. But let me tell you...I loved them. I took them everywhere.

tina said...

I think the light blue is very pretty! Nowadays just about any color goes for Christmas. Dare to be different.

Linda Lunda said...

They are werry pretty!
But.... sorry.. its not a Swedish tradition..... sorry....Its more a English/American thing I think.
Linda

Unknown said...

Dawn- Thanks, I think I will. I do enjoy making crafts, but it's especially fun when made with someone special in mind.

Debbi- My parents stopped with the stockings when I was about 11. Maybe they just got tired of putting them out or something.

Anna- She has hurt me every year almost. Even if I bought her something it was just never good enough for her. That's why we don't exchange gifts anymore. Too much tension surrounding the issue and it just wasn't worth the hostility when times got tough.

Tina- I certainly an different if nothing else! LOL.

Linda- The book was probably written by some well meaning American who's parents celebrated Christmas American style and they thought they were being true to their roots. Do you have any favorite Swedish Christmas craft ideas for me to make?

Anonymous said...

I love felt Christmas stockings, Cinj! My first Christmas stocking---when I was 2 months old---was felt, and I have and cherish it to this day! We still put up two vintage felt stockings on our mantel every year, and two new felt stockings for the dog and cats with paw prints on them. I would be delighted to get one of your sky-blue stockings, and I'm sure your nieces and nephews will be, too, no matter what your wretched sister says. (Grrrr!!! Talk about a Scrooge. Maybe something will touch her heart one of these years and she'll thaw out. Fingers crossed!)