Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

How to Ruin Christmas

Many people have been turning their attention to Christmas posts lately. I thought of a few tips to share with you while browsing through other's posts.

1. You cat lovers out there may appreicate this one. Do you remember a few days ago how I posted about our home made Christmas tree? All of the ornaments were spread all over the tree.

Don't plan on all of your decorations staying where you placed them. Some well meaning soul may want to help with a little redecoration.

Apparently Speedy doesn't like the silk poinsettas to stay on the tree. I can't blame her confusion, most people don't put flowers on a tree. None of the other ornaments seem to belong on the tree either. Anything with a hook she has figured out how to remove if I didn't wrap the fake tree's branch around it. She even figured out how to get some of those off the tree. Notice the northward migration all ornaments have made to keep out of her reach?

Tree skirts aren't meant to lay on the ground either, they must be there to cover her up. You may not be able to see her, but she's sitting under the tree on the lower right hand side of your screen. If she needs a blanket I wonder why she has fur....

2. Don't expect perfection.

Believe it or not this little duck started out it's life intending to be a snowman er... person? Plans changed when the "carrot" wouldn't stay glued shut to conceal the pin holding it in place. A beak was born and our snowperson became a snow duck instead. The wings were actually scraps from a felt snowflake in the next tip!

3. Don't give home made gifts to people who don't appreciate them.

Of course I still need to add the strings to these ornaments to make them ready to hang on the tree, but that's okay. I will put one of these into each of those stockings I made in my last post. Again I come to the dillemma of which one goes to which child.

4. Don't expect everyone to spend Christmas day with you. I mean it's not about the day really, is it? We don't know the exact day that Jesus was born on, what we're celebrating is his gift of hope to the world, not the fact that it's December 25th.

One of my friends once accused the Christians of lying to get the pagans on deck with the celebration of Christmas. Whatever, I'm not going to pretend to know all of the facts. It's not about the day, it's about sharing love, charity, kindness, and appreciation. We can not be every place on one day, it's just too stressful. Know that your loved ones are thinking of you and show your consideration for their feelings when you make you Christmas plans.

Be flexible, communicate, and work together. Christmas isn't supposed to be about creating hard feeling for unrealistic expectations or spending lots of money. Christmas is what we make it to be. Be joyful and share the love this Christmas and every day.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

12 comments:

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Gotta love cats(-: My cat insists that under the tree is his place to sleep. So my tree skirt is all hairy...lol(-: He doesn't bother the ornaments anymore because he is almost 15! I have poinsettas on my tree too(-: They are in a garland so it doesn't fall off when you touch them...its cat and dog proof that way(-: This year I also added red balls in different sizes. So far they are staying on too(-: The past few years I went with just the poinsetta garland and I loved it. It was very simple yet pretty. This year I decided to go all out and get the red glass balls. I am very happy with it! We don't have a big family so we spend the day with my dad and his gf. Its a pretty kick back day for us. I hope your day goes well too(-:

Anonymous said...

Ha!!! Our cats are just as bad. Love the duck and the felt ornaments for the stockings. You're so creative!!!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Dogs seem to think that a Christmas tree skirt is a special kind of dog bed. I had to throw out my old tree skirt because I couldn't get out the embedded dog hairs.
I heard about this couple who hung their tree upside down from the ceiling to keep it & the ornaments safe from their toddlers (and vice versa). That might work for cats too.

Lona said...

She must be having a blast.Count it into your exercise regime on putting them back.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cinj, your background and snowflakes are so pretty, setting just the right mood. Your tree does look like it has been redecorated according to Speedy. The duck snow man is precious, as are the felt ornaments, very home made and full of love. We cannot all be together at Christmas either, Thanksgiving is our holiday for that. I would like to see the gift exchange moved to that time also. It's like you say, what's in your heart is the most important thing.
Frances

Amy said...

Hi Cinj- love your new blog look! You've made some great points here about how to have a happy Christmas :)

Amy

Dawn said...

Our coon cat thought it was just his place to have the outside brought in, he has decided to guard the tree from the other cat in the house, thank goodness. Maybe he'll leave my plants alone!

Anonymous said...

First off, love the new look of your blog, very festive & wintery. :) Ha, my cat was considering the same thing, he tried to climb the tree. That would of been a disaster waiting to happen.

Unknown said...

Cindee- My cats do the same. I use a lint brush to remove most of the cat fur. If they laid on it often enough I could pretend it was made of fur but it never gets thick enough for that.

Ben- Thanks. I like to make ornaments and I get lots of great ideas just browsing the internet.

MMD- Gotta love those animals. I suppose they like it because it's comfy and somewhat private. After the first few days it doesn't seem as bad, I guess she's just not used to all those neat baubbles to play with or something. Good idea though.

HHG- LOL. Good idea, I'll have to do that.

Frances- Thanks. I figured I'd go for a different look for the winter time. I think Speedy is an aspiring interior designer, am I right?

Amy- Thanks. You too.

Dawn- I wish I had one of those. Maybe I need to recruit Sweetie for that job.

Kylee- Thanks! Speedy tried to climb the tree the other day. The tree tipped over. Silly cat. Shouldn't she be over that by now????

lisa said...

Hear hear! What a funny and inspiring post! LOVE the new backgroung and layout, BTW! :)

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

I love that Speedy! my cat's haven't done much destruction yet...because I've taken so long to get everything done this year! LOL....wonderful points in your post!

Christmas Blessings,
Kathi :)

Barbee' said...

What a good post! Lovely, thank you.