Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Syncope or Vaso-Vegel

I am not a doctor or medically trained in any way, I just want to share some information with you. This information is just being shared with you to save you the anxiety and fear that I felt when I was searching for the list of symptoms that I had. I was extrememly confused when I searched the interent for a combination of the terms loss of vision, disorientation, and bladder problems. Only 2 result popped up with all of those terms together and since I was not an elderly man I was left to cut some terms out of my search terms which lead to some diagnosis that weren't even close to being accurate.

The doctor I saw at the Emergency room diagnosed me with sycope or vaso-vegel. This is fainting for various reseasons to be diagnosed by your doctor. Fainting occurs when there is a sudden decrease of blood flow to the brain. Some of the more common causes for fainting include standing up too quickly, heart arrhythmias, heart disease, severe pain, emotional stress, anxiety, straining, low blood sugar, or dehydration.

Sometimes when you faint, you do not actually loose consciousness as happened with me. This can be extremely scary if you aren't aware of what has just happened to you.

Since it only happened to me once and I have no other medical history that points to something more complicated they decided to run a test for a bladder infection first. Since my loss of vision occured when I was attempting to eliminate urine, it seemed to be a logical conclusion. I felt like there was more in my bladder that wasn't coming out (the feeling probably occured because of the bladder infection), so I pushed a bit harder. That's when my vision vanished. This is quite common in men, but not so common in women.

I have included some helpful links to help you understand these conditions. I found these links when I was searching with the term syncope.

American Heart
Mayo Clinic

So, that's it in a nutshell. So far, so good. I haven't had any of the symptoms return yet, but I have decided to take it easy anyway.

Please leave me a message. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

4 comments:

Barbee' said...

Thank you for sharing the info, Cinj. I read both of those.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, that is a scary thing. I hope it doesn't return.

lisa said...

I hope you don't have more of those episodes! Someimes I do MRA scans of the blood vessels in the neck or brain looking for narrowing that can cause syncopal episodes as well. Hope you keep feeling better!

Anonymous said...

I, too, have had a few episodes. The first after my father's funeral. He passed away 3 months after my mother.They took every test imaginable to determine whether I had a heart problem, stroke, blood clots, etc. But everything was fine. My heart rate dropped as well as my blood pressure. They diagnosed Syncope/Vaso-Vegel. I was in the hospital for 3 days. The Dr. suggested that if you have that feeling, sit or lie down so you don't fall and injure yourself, and hopefully it will go away. I realize that this occurred probably from, stress, dehydration and probably not eating properly. Although 2 other episodes occurred in Restaurants. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, which I read with interest. It is scary and I, too hope it does not occur with you or me again.