Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day February 2009

Amidst all of the snow and ice, there isn't a whole lot going on around here bloom wise. The plant eating cats keep most plant growing inside my house a near impossibility. I will be putting a grow light in the craft room soon (hopefully I'll be ale to afford to buy more), but until then I am stuck with not growing any plants in my house.

This is the time of year that the deer and rabbits seem to do the most damage to my garden. Of course I might say something different in a few months, but for now that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

So far I have been able to keep the deer away from my apple trees with the Irish Spring that I cut in half and hung in the panty hose pouches in the trees this fall. I didn't do the same for my new cherry trees though.



I see the deer have discovered them. Can you see that they've nibbled almost every bud off of the tree? Grrr.


There may be a rabbit living either under my deck or under the shed. Almost daily I see rabbit tracks all over the yard. It looks like we got a new skiff of snow overnight.



My seeds must taste good to the rabbits about now. Several of my flowers have a bunch of tracks underneath. I don't cut them back in the fall. When I first started gardening, I left the plant stalks standing because I was a bit lazy and I needed to remember where to look for plant growth in the spring. My memory isn't always as sharp as it should be. Imagine my delight when I was reading gardening books and found that this is a good practice for northern cold climate gardeners. Doing this traps snow and helps to keep the leaf mulch in place. This insulates the plant from the extreme cold weather that we often experience in the dead of winter.

Yay for stupidly blundering into appropriate plant growing practices.

I'd like to thank Carol for hosting this event on the 15th of each month!
Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy
Post a Comment