Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Self Fullfilling Prophecy

I have been doing some thinking as Cheesehead has been on vacation this past week (thus my reduced computer usage and increased project levels). It occurred to me that what I believe will come true usually does.

Take, for example, my indoor brown thumb phenomenon. I seem to constantly complain that I kill any plant that comes into my house. I recently proved that was true by killing an "un-killable" indoor plant. Is it really the fact that I can't grow a plant or is it my attitude towards what I am doing? I grow plants outside and they thrive, is it only my attitude towards them that sets them apart?

If I can't grow plants, then why do my outdoor plants usually thrive? I expect them to. I know I have a green thumb. I take care of them all in the same way and they do their best to please me. I wonder if they can sense what I am thinking?

I can grow anything out side but roses. I wonder if my lack of success with growing roses that aren't knockout roses has more to do with my attitude that I will kill any other rose. If you believe you will fail, you usually will.

My old vegetable gardens in MN were completely covered with weeds before I began my venture. I decided that I would put vegetables there and have a wonderful garden to provide my family with all of the vegetables we could eat. I cleared all of the weeds out until there wasn't a weed to be seen. I then planted my freshly bought seedlings into the rich soil. The only problem was that the weeds kept popping up. Instead of trying to eradicate all of the weeds, I developed the attitude that I'd never be able to control all of those weeds. They proceeded to take over the garden once again and I gave up on my vegetable garden. I may have to test this phenomenon farther.

If all we have to do is to is to change our attitude, then my vegetable garden this year should be a booming success. (As long as I can keep Cheesehead away from it!) After all, I'm extremely optimistic and will have a fresh new bed of weed free soil to plan the seeds (and soon to be started seedlings) in.

Thank you for stopping by to chat with me. Please leave me a message, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

8 comments:

Sheila said...

Cinj, you are right, a positive attitude is important, that and a little knowledge and a lot of hard work will prevail at almost anything, but certainly gardening!

Dawn said...

I have a hard time growing (they struggle) any flower BUT roses, even hybrid. Good luck

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I think attitude has to do with a lot of my success or failures with plants. I know my indoor plants don't get my best efforts because they never seem to live very long or get spider mites, etc. Outdoor plants seem to get most of my attention and you can tell by seeing how much healthier they look.

our friend Ben said...

Glad you and Cheesehead have been getting so much done on your "staycation," Cinj! Weeds are tough. I try to think of them as plant teachers, telling me things about my soil conditions, lighting, etc. And fortunately, I think many of them (pokeweed, Queen Anne's lace, narrow-leaved plantain) are as beautiful as cultivated plants, so I'm okay with giving them space. Many weeds came over with the early settlers as useful herbs and plants (teasel, for example, used to card wool), so they can be a fun history lesson, too. As for those houseplants, I think it's all about giving them the right light and--believe it or not!--not overwatering. Mine thrive on what many folks would consider neglect, and the most luxuriant houseplants I've ever seen were in the sunny front window of a nearby antiques store, not exactly receiving the owner's fulltime attention. One last thought: Many popular houseplants came down to us from Victorian times, when houses were a lot cooler in the winter than we keep ours. Don't give up on them!

Barbee' said...

Interesting post, Cinj; I'm looking forward to following your veg garden posts.

Anonymous said...

You are correct. Just last night I was listening to a video about positive attitudes. Those people tend be smarter and more productive in life. You would love the video ====done by some professor at UNC. William Friday did the interview. If you look up William Friday on Youtube--you'll probably find the professor I'm talking about.

Nola said...

I'll give it a try; wonder what a positive attitude will do to all those weeds?

Gail said...

Hi Cinj...I totally agree that what we believe and say to ourselves is incredibly powerful. Not just with plants...but all of life. Good luck with the garden. gail