Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

My Accidental Lasagna Garden

Well, as you can guess I didn't finish my new veggie garden on Monday. I was waiting for it to stop snowing. I got a bit cold with the construction portion of my garden. (That, plus the CNN film crews were there with their cameras trying to film my crazy antics. I think Nola leaked the news to them!)

Thanks to everyone for your advise. I guess great minds think alike. I never knew my "crazy" plan had a name attatched to it already! I decided to research this lasagna gardening idea I was told about. (Sorry, I can't insert my link. Just google it if you want to find out more!)

It snowed again all day yesterday so my garden project got put on hold. I didn't relish digging in stepping stones past a layer of snow. Luckily it was a spring snow, so most of it has already melted, but I was told we got 10 inches of the stuff. What did I do instead? I tore apart my living room and began painting two walls. I suppose I should finish my painting and put the living room back together before I go out, but I don't think I will. Cheesehead will probably explode when he sees I put those plans on hold to finish something else.

I'm planning on going outside after the sun dries out the spots I will be digging my stepping stones into the dirt. Since I am not starting my lasagna garden in the fall, I need some soil to add to the top of the layers so I'll have to do that before finishing my garden. I don't have boots and I don't want my good tennis shoes completely filled with sticky sand. Thankfully sand doesn't take much to get dried out. I'll supplement the sand I dig up with some of my leftover bags of topsoil. Stay tuned, I'll show you how I built up my garden bed once it's completed.

What a great way to celebrate Earth Day, isn't it? I hope you all have a great one!

Thank you for stopping by to chat with me. Please leave me a message, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

10 comments:

our friend Ben said...

Way to go, Cinj!!! 10 inches of snow seems like a bit much here in spring---we got the equivalent in rain instead---so I'm so happy it's melting! Lasagna gardening really works. Looking forward to your progress reports. And happy Earth Day!

Victoria Williams said...

Hey Cindy, you need to bring some of that energy to Idaho. Specifically to our garden. :-)

Dawn said...

That will work.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

The walls can be painted anytime, the garden needs to get going. (How's that for justification?) I'm sure your new garden will be great.

Anonymous said...

Looks like everyone had some great suggestions for you on making your veggie garden with what you had on hand. :)

Barbee' said...

Looking forward to "the rest of the story"!

Tessa at Blunders with shoots, blossoms 'n roots said...

Great! I can't wait to see the outcome. That is a lot of snow- Old Man Winter needs to retire for the year :). I did lasagna gardening one time, years ago, and I had the best tomatoes ever! I didn't even wait for anything to 'cook' I just built up my layers in spring and sunk in a tomato seedling (good sized) and the rest is history! If I remember right my last layer ended with the browns- leaf layer, it was a good top layer to have as it helped hold moisture in without getting matted as grass clippings tend to do. Good luck with your lasagna garden!

Jan said...

It will be exciting to see how your garden develops and watch the veggies growing! You are a ball of energy;-)

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Congrats on the garden! I am sure you will have many wonderful veggies!!!!!

CiNdEeS' GaRdEn

lisa said...

Wow, so you got all that crazy late season snow! I lucked out with just a dusting from that storm, sure hope that's the end of winter for us up here!