Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Planning Our Deck Garden

If you know me at all you'd have to know that Cheesehead's building of a deck is inspiring me to plan yet another garden. When I told him of my plans I got the typical eye roll. It will be a while before my plans come to fruition since the deck is still not finished, but I'm having fun making plans. Let me know what you think!

Our deck is rather oddly shaped. It was originally going to be 12x20 and all materials were purchased for it. Since Cheesehead mentioned a change in plans to a smaller 12x10 size, I grabbed two of his 12 foot boards for my veggie garden. He took my two extra 8 foot boards and made an 8x10 extension "for the grill". Yeah....

I have decided to surround the deck with curved lines with wood mulched beds. (Hopefully I'll be able to make some free mulch out of all of the dead brush I've accumulated.)

I think it would be wonderful to be able to sit at my table and smell the wonderful fragrances of my plants. I have already added 3 fruit trees (apple, peach, and pear). I would also like to add peonies (which I will divide from existing plantings after they've bloomed), roses (I bought last year and they died so I will put the replacements here), and maybe a compact lilac bush as well as some soon to be divided creeping phlox. Herbs are also on my list, but I have yet to plan the exact areas and layout. This is assuming I can get some of those darned seeds I bought to grow of course....

Since money is extremely limited (what else is new?) I am thinking of migrating my woodland garden plants to this garden area. I think I'd be able to keep a better eye on them if they're closer to the house anyway. The deer really did a number on the hostas Lisa sent me last summer. When I went to check on them earlier this spring there were no dead leaves to show me where the plants had once been. (Luckily they all seem to be coming back now.) I also have lily of the valley, astilbe, periwinkle, traditional bleeding heart, and lavendar in there. I may be missing something.... Right behind the house has an area that always shaded too, perfect for some of those shade plants.

Cheesehead also wants me to move my arbor garden with the three clematis I brought from Big Lake up near the house into this garden area. I'm not sure if it would be sunny enough there though. How much sun do you think they'll need? It would be a shame if I killed them after they've been through so much!

Thank you for stopping by to chat with me. Please leave me a message, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

9 comments:

Dawn said...

Goodness, it sounds like you have alot of areas where you have something growing! I think the deck garden sounds wonderful.

our friend Ben said...

Sounds great, Cinj! I've always heard of clematis that they like their feet shaded and their heads in the sun. (Lavender is a full-sun, well-drained Mediterranean herb too, btw.)Keep us posted!

Victoria Williams said...

Yes, lavenders like the sun, as do most clematis. Some clematis will survive in partial shade. You could check out your varieties. And our hostas never leave dead leaves to show where they were the year before, we always have to guess.

donna said...

And here I thought I had a busy mind! Your mental and physical energy makes me dizzy. It's fun to read about all your ideas.

Nola said...

Sounds wonderful! Don't worry about the "eye roll" thing, I think it's a genetic defect in men, my husband does it (often). You'll really enjoy that deck and the accompanying flower beds all summer long.

Kathleen said...

Your new deck garden sounds great Cinj. I have clematis in part shade that do really well (maybe only getting three hours of sunlight a day) so I think you might be able to move yours successfully. Good luck with this project. You are definitely good at accomplishing things.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Is there a Freecycle group in your area? I got some marigold seeds and plants from someone there last year, and gave some perennials that needed dividing away to someone who was looking for some.

Some of the plants you talked about moving can't be divided, so you'd be moving the whole plants, and leaving spaces somewhere else. You may want to look up how well some of them take to being moved.

I know you can move hostas, but don't remember if it matters how far into the season they are. I think I've moved full grown ones before, but they weren't big ones.

Keep us posted on your deck and beds. Curves sound nice.

Unknown said...

Dawn- I sure do. Planning things is sure fun for me.

Ben- I've heard that too. I need to move them soon, but I don't think I'll put them as close to the house as we had thought.

K&V- I don't know what varieties they are. They may end up by the kids' swing set.

Donna- I sure have a lot of ideas, don't I? Sometimes I make myself dizzy!

Nola- I may end up making this garden in the fall if I want to enjoy their blooms this spring and summer.

Kathleen- Thanks. I get tired of not getting anything done.

Sue- I don't know, I'll have to check into that. I don't plan on dividing everything. That woodland garden gets ignored and the blackberries are trying to take over the path to get there. I just may be willing to let them and move the whole dang garden. It would save me tons of money with plant purchases too. I think I'll wait to make the move until fall.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is fun to plan and I'm sure whatever you do--it will be great.

Just wanted to let you know, they are asking about you over at the Real Estate board on hgtv. I was just coming to copy your url and post it to them.

Hugs, Anna