Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Who's Been Hanging Out in Our Yard Now?

While I was taking a stroll through the garden a few days ago, I noticed a few things that were out of place. A few other things just brought a smile to my face.

Take, for example, the bird feeders. They had no bird seed in them since I've been too lazy, er busy to fill them. I wonder what they wanted with those empty feeders? This will just give Cheesehead another excuse to ban my bird feeders from our yard. We're pretty sure that only bears would do this to a poor hapless pole. No smile here!

I also like to check on my recent plantings while I'm out in the garden.

I planted some sprouted garlic cloves in several areas of my garden. Cheesehead wanted me to throw them out because apparently he thinks once they've sprouted they can't be eaten. HUH?

Anyway, I planted them wherever I had some open space. They were coming up very nicely until I noticed some large, gaping holes in my mulch. *Scowl* They even left evidence behind, do you see the scraps that were left behind on our stone ledge? I assume it was the chipmunks this time instead of the squirrels that pestered us earlier this season. Can anyone help me to verify that suspicion?

Speaking of sprouts, we also had a bunch of sprouted potatoes in the basement that Cheesehead also wanted to throw away. I planted those too. They were so big that I had to cut them first.

I realized as I was preparing the potatoes for planting that I wasn't voted class klutz for nothing. I managed to slice my finger which bled profusely. I think next time I should ask someone else to use the sharp implements so I don't injure myself again. The potatoes are still under the sand so the critters must be too busy digging up the garlic cloves to notice them.

A week ago I planted the seeds in my garden. I noticed that I have a couple of spinach sprouts out there. Nothing I can really get a decent picture of though as they are still pretty tiny.



A huge smile spread over my face as I saw all of the perennials coming up. There are only a couple that have yet to poke their sleepy heads out of the ground. I hope they come up soon, I'm worried about my beautiful peonies that we transplanted last fall didn't have enough time to establish themselves in their new home.

The rabbits must have enjoyed nibbling on my tulip leaves too. I didn't think animals liked the leaves, wasn't it bulbs they eat? Hmm, I wonder where that picture went. Must be one of the 12 that didn't turn out and ended up deleted.

Thank you for stopping by to chat with me. Please leave me a message, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

8 comments:

Dawn said...

Cinj, cute post. I have to say, dh and myself cut 6'' maple trees down so we could staple the bottom of the fence to something heavy on the ground. The 4 foot fence around the veggie garden that is.(no little squirrels digging underneath, least if they do...I'll make it close to digging to China) My god! Did I ache! Hope it's worth it. Not nice to have critters eat up everything you have worked for. No sucking vampirish flea for that chipmunk!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Hope the bears, chipmunks and squirrels leave your garden alone so you can enjoy what you've planted. I bet you're glad to be seeing your plants return since you had snow for so long!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

When I read posts like this, it makes me feel less sorry for myself for having to share my lettuce and some flower leaves with the rabbits, and the squirrels dig some of my plants out and knock over the sunflowers.

I have no deer and no bears in my yard.

I'm glad your perennials are coming up!

tina said...

I hope your finger is much better now. Do be careful. It is fabulous you have some veggies coming-always a fight with the critters though.

Nola said...

OMG, I didn't think any critters would bother garlic because of the odor! If you could smell their breath it would be easy to "out" the culprit!

Anonymous said...

A bear!!!!!!! scares me to death to think about it. You have planted whole heaps of good stuff. The chipmunks are doing a real number here too. Makes me so mad when they dig stuff up. I like that railing and ramp on your shed.

Unknown said...

Dawn- Sounds like you did a lot of work too. I suppose I should start thinking about fences too soon.

Catherine- Me too! There are just a few plants that haven't surfaced yet. Spring is FINALLY here to stay!

Sue- It's interesting to see all of the critters but not so fun when they eat everything. I don't mind sharing but why in the world do they need to eat it all?

Tina- Thanks. It's almost completely healed now.

Nola- I know, right? They also went after my onion sets. Here's hoping I get it figured out how to get them to leave the stuff alone.

Anna- Lucky for me I wasn't outside, I just saw the evidence it had been there. Here's hoping I get at least some of our good stuff for us to eat!

Didn't I ever show you guys my deck and ramp? I'm such an airhead.

Kathleen said...

Hi Cinj. I haven't visited in a while. It's good to know the snow is finally gone and your perennials are coming up. Soon it will be hot, right? Take care and Happy Mother's Day!