Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Where Did June Go?

The month has brought about much growth both in my life and in our yard, I am constantly amazed at the progress I'm seeing. It's also brought me much needed peace too.

I'm looking at the calendar and I see that there in only a week left of June. Where did this month disappear to? I've been working on getting our current home loan modified, getting lots of little things done I've wanted done in the last three years, finding ways to cut our expenses so we can make it on our reduced income, and just generally getting everything in order.

I seem to have suddenly sprung to life too. I feel so much happier, unencumbered. I feel like life is good again and things are only going to improve. I see hope and harmony and I'm loving it. My energy levels reflect that too, I can't believe how many things I get done in a day nowadays. Not like the days when I was happy to even get one thing done!

Looking around I can see so many blessings that God has sent us, I think that helps lift my spirits too. Everywhere I look I am reminded of these wonderful things that tell me he still loves us. Blackberry brambles seem to have overtaken the entire woods surrounding our house. There are drifts of white blackberry flowers floating all over on the fringes of our yard. Any picture you take seems to inadvertently include pictures of these blooms. If we didn't like wild fruits so much this may annoy us, but it makes me feel truly blessed. I wonder if my blackberry jelly is good enough to sell to raise money to buy my dad a headstone....

The apples I pollinated with a paintbrush continue to swell into fruits. It looks to be covered in numerous apples that are on their way to becoming food for our table. One of the new trees we just planted this year even has one apple growing on it. I'm pretty impressed!

Our first strawberry of the season was ready today. I picked it and gave it to Cheesehead as a gift. He's been kind enough to water the veggie garden even though he hates any vegetable that's not corn or potatoes. He has even talked about giving me more room from his back yard for more future veggie gardens. Will wonders never cease?

I planted two tomatoes in coconut lined baskets earlier this spring. You know... like those green bags that hang on a hook? It's a little experiment. So far it seems to be working out great. Look at all of the blooms it is forming!

Our other tomato plants are taking off too. I have all 16 plants that are in the ground caged up with those cheap little cages. Two of them aren't doing so well, but the others seem to be thriving. Would you believe I got all of these as those cheap little 6 pack plants? We have a total of 18 tomato plants. Looks like I may need to start looking for ways to prepare and can some of my garden goodies! I also planted a six pack each of green peppers and zucchini and a three pack of broccoli in the garden.

Cheesehead can't believe the difference between this year's garden and the gardens of the past. We were just talking about that earlier. I guess I might not believe it either if I weren't living in my body feeling so much better and getting so much done. Cucumbers, beans, and peas are all growing from seed. I also planted some carrots, lettuce, water melon, banana peppers, and squash seeds last week. It may be a bit late but I guess we'll see soon enough. I think I'll try planting a late summer garden of spinach and other goodies too.

This fall I will move the asparagus I planted this spring to a sunnier location with much better soil.

Thank you for stopping by to chat with me. Please leave me a message, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

15 comments:

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Sounds to me like the garden is echoing the gardener and both sound happy and healthy. Smiling at your happiness.

Dawn said...

Wonderful news! I'm growing veggie for the first time in 10 years, I'll have to learn how to can!!!! Go for any suggestion cheesehead my have because, what follows? HELP!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

It's amazing how when things start to work out and make sense everything seems to come together. You have more energy and see things in a whole new way.
It looks like you'll have lots of tomatoes for sure! Hope things continue to improve!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Cinj .. it is amazing how much being organized and sorted can make us feel better. You sound so much better too. Gardens are so theraputic for us .. they drag us out of the darker side and make us pay attention to how life springs up out of almost nothing.
You have a wonderful home in a beautiful place girl !
My little tomato is doing well too : )

Unknown said...

Debbi- Thanks! I sure have come a long way.

Dawn- You and me both! I did get some canning equipment last Christmas so I'll just have to figure it all out, and soon. He was pretty skeptical, I can't say I blame him. Our last two attempts were pretty pathetic!

Catherine- Thanks, me too. I'm glad things finally seem to be working for us instead of against us.

Joy- I am! It's great. I think it's a mix of everything all together that's helping me so much. I love living here, I think it was the best move we ever made! Glad to hear your tomato is doing well!

Nola said...

I don't know which seems happier, you or the garden! Spring and early summer seems to have such a therapeutic effect on those of us who are gardeners, maybe on everyone!

Gail said...

My dear I am so glad to hear how good and at peace you feel...it sure isn't any fun to be drained all the time! That is just too cool that you hand pollinated the apples! They will taste extra sweet this fall knowing that you were a part of it's growth. gail

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to see you enjoying things after so much unsettled events. You have a wonderful character and faith. Glad to know your garden brings you more joy this year than last. You've worked hard to make it healthy.

Unknown said...

Nola- I don't know either. I think I'm going to have to mulch it soon, sure got hot fast!

Gail- I feel so much better when I have the energy to get things done. I go out and admire those apples every day. I can't wait until they're ready to eat!

Anna- I wouldn't say I worked harder than any other gardener, but your saying that sure makes me feel good about what I've done.

Kathleen said...

It's great to hear all the positive changes Cinj. You've really had plenty of the other ~ it's time things turned around. Your veggies are doing fantastic. I started a 3'X3' raised veggie bed this year too (first time for that) but things aren't growing so great in mine. I may need some tips! I agree June is flying by WAY too fast. Hope your summer continues to go well.

Victoria Williams said...

Nice to hear that both you and your garden are feeling better. Keep it up! :-)

Cynthia said...

It is so good to read that you are feeling better. I know it has been a trying year for many of us- myself included. I always admire your strength in discussing your ups and downs on your blog. It helps others, I am sure. My garden always helps me get through the tough spots in life. You can not have a garden and not be full of hope and wonder.

Thanks for stopping by my blog- I always have enjoyed your comments.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

June has gone poof!
My cucumbers are setting flowers but no cucumbers! Whats up with that?
Everything is growing like crazy so that is good! Looks like you are busy as well!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I enjoyed this uplifting post. I sometimes take my eyes off of God's involvement in my life. There have been too many times this summer that instead of feeling blessed to have the summer off, and enjoying all the distractions from getting things done I wanted to, I have felt stressed that the summer is going too fast. I need to stop that, and be thankful to God for his blessings and the days of summer I'm gifted with.

I'm glad to hear you are feeling good about things, and are getting the financial and other things in order.

God bless!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I forgot to say I planted some cucumbers, summer and winter squash, and cantaloupe a couple weeks later than recommended, and they seem to be growing well. One of the summer squashes has one of those worms or bugs that feed inside the stem and kill the plants, though.