Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

A Healthier Blueberry Muffin

My son has been dying for some blueberry muffins. Wanting to feed him what he wants but still trying to help him with his diet and health issues I changed the usual recipe to lower the glycemic index. I thought they were good. If you don't like the wheat flavor (son didn't like it) maybe exchange it for oats in place of the wheat flour. I think I will try that next time.

Here's the recipe

1 cup milk (I added a little extra because wheat flour soaks up moisture)
1/4 cup oil (I used 1/2 cup applesauce instead)
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 egg
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour (I sifted it to add some air so they wouldn't be so dense)
1/3 cup splenda (to get some browning effect that normal sugar helps with, I added a few drops of liquid stevia extract to the batter)
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
a sprinkling each of ground flax seed and wheat germ
1 cup fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Grease bottoms of 12 cup muffin tin.
Divide batter among cups.
Bake about 25 minutes until golden brown.
Remove from pan immediately.


Thank you for stopping by to chat with me. Please leave me a message, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

4 comments:

Barbee' said...

I love them any way you make them. Your recipe sounds so good... and so healthy. Stevia is soooo sweet. I saw some plants at the local plant and seed store. I sneaked a tiny piece to nibble and taste. It was so sweet I couldn't stand it so discarded it.

Unknown said...

Yeah, you only need about 1/8 of a tsp to replace 1/2 a cup. I don't think I'd want to eat it straight up...

Chris said...

That sounds good. I have been using stevia a lot lately and have started to like it more as I learn how much to use. I have also been subbing coconut flour and nut flours along for wheat flour. The recipes have mostly turned out to be good.

our friend Ben said...

Good for you, Cinj! I like the idea of subbing oat flour, nut flour, and coconut flour for the whole wheat. And did you know there's a "brown sugar" Splenda available? That might do the trick!