Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Cat-dog

Since I'm tired of posting about our lack of gardening ability and too much snow, I thought I'd tell you a bit about our beloved pets.

Today's post is about our cat Speedy. I swear, this cat THINKS she's a dog. I've never met another cat quite like her. Believe me, I've know A LOT of cats! I suppose you're wondering why I say that. Well, there are SO many reasons, I hardly know where to start! Let me count the ways....

1. Speedy LOVES to sit on our laps, she's almost never sitting anywhere that isn't with a person. Even if you're a total and complete stranger, it just DOESN'T matter.

2. She loves attention from anyone who will give it to her. Even if it means she's getting mobbed by a rambunctious child.

3. She lets my daugther drag her around (usually she somehow either gets carried upside down, over her shoulder, or being held in some other way that most cats tend not to prefer), pull her tail, grab her paws, play with her, wrap her up in baby blankets, (the list of abuses goes ON and ON) and never has a single complaint. She won't even hiss, scratch or bite her. I get fed up with her mistreatment of the poor thing before the cat does and make her let the cat go!

4. If there are any bugs in our house, you can count on this little hunter to find them AND eat it. I swear. The last bug she ate was a sand spider just a couple of days ago. I HATE spiders, so I called Speedy's attention to it and she ran right over and gobbled it up! YAY!

5. Did I tell you she comes to her name EVERY time anyone in the family calls her? Even if she doesn't know you. SERIUOSLY. How many cats can you say that about?

6. If you pat your lap, she'll jump up on it too.

7. You can't read a newspaper, book, or magazine (well, reading material of any sort) if she's sitting in your lap either, if you try she'll just sit right on top of it or poke her head around it any way that she can.



This is a picture of Speedy laying in the sun, about the only cat-like thing that she does. Cute, isn't she?

By the way, I did not name her! You can blame my son for that. You see, I got the cats each a cat when we were at a garage sale almost 4 years ago.

There were 2 kittens for sale there, I couldn't choose just one of them. Out of self defense I told hubby that we had to get one for each of the kids so they wouldn't argue. Hey, I could TOTALLY see that happening. You just don't know my kids. Quit laughing at me!

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am always wishing I had a cat. You made me want one even more--but it would kill me with allergy problems. I would want one just like yours. I love a pet that cuddles. Lovely post today. I can just see that kittie taking the love from your daughter and being so patient. That is a truly good cat/dog.

Anonymous said...

Your cat story made me smile...Speedy is a lot like my cat! My cat also loves to be carried around, is a dedicated lap-cat, more dog than cat-like (he's a Siamese, which is supposedly the most dog-like cat breed) and, he, too is a "bug cat". He's an indoor only cat and he takes out all his hunting instinct on any unsuspecting bug that may wander into the house or garage. Being a bit out in the country, we have a fair amount of Daddy Long-leg spiders. He eats them and then makes a face like they taste bad. He's also completely fearless, not the least bit afraid of dogs--including our 85 lb Labrador--- from the first day we brought him home. Cats rule, dogs drool! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Doglike cats are the best, aren't they, Cinj? My Maine coons have always been very doglike--super-affectionate, cheerful, and playful--but then, so have the strays people have dumped off around here who have adopted us. Every time I hear about an "aloof" cat, I wonder. I've finally decided that it's our approach to cats that determines their approach to us: If we're loving and affectionate, so are they!

Unknown said...

Anna- Sometimes I wish I didn't have them. I am allergic to them. Not too horribly badly, but enough to keep them locked out of my bedroom. You should see the way I clean to keep my allergies at bay. The price you pay for getting a pet you shouldn't really have. I just can't bring myself to get rid of them though. Speedy is SO loyal.

Lin- That's funny! We have a lab mix dog too. Right now she's "temporarily" living with MIL. Speedy and Angel were the best of friends. The cats never go outside. Or, I suppose I should say rarely. But was she ANYWHERE to be found when the mole got in the house? What a hunter! LOL.

OFB- I think that's true to a certain extent, but I have a somewhat aloof cat too. I say somewhat because she'll sit with us and likes to be petted too, but only for as long as she wants us to. I think I'll do a post about her next!

tina said...

cats are wonderful. i have an outdoor cat who adopted me once i started feeding her. worth her weight in gold. i named her orkin for her pest killing abilities, like your speedy with bugs. i took her in to have her spayed and guess what?! she was already spayed! someone at one point loved her.

Anonymous said...

Hey Cinj! Cats that love to be petted, but only for so long, are easily overstimulated, not aloof. (Sort of the feline equivalent of autism, I guess, where all senses are extremely sensitive to any stimulation and find that the scales tip quickly from enjoyable to unbearable.) Don't worry, s/he still loves you!

And Tina, I had a spayed-then-abandoned cat, too. I've posted her story as "The Story of Shawn, Feline Phenomenon" in Poor Richard's Almanac if you want to check it out. Makes me so sad to learn that this isn't a one-cat phenomenon but might instead be symptomatic of our disposable society!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Cinj .. I loved all the characteristics of Speedy ! She is a unique cat to be so gracious and calm through all of the wear and tear of kids.
I can't think of myself without a cat .. I think I would develop into one of those ancient, crazy, cat ladies with a 100 cats in a tiny house some where ..
Speedy is a beautiful cat, inside and out ! : )
Joy

Viooltje said...

Speedy must have been a dog in her previous life. My 1st cat, Fluffy, was just like Speedy. Actually more of a dog than a cat. She'd follow any of us to the supermarket and wait there like a good girl until we did our shopping. She was also the only cat that would go walking through half a meter deep snow along with our dogs. Your wonderful post reminded me that such cats do actually exists, I seem to forget, as I am now ruled by a pair of wicked feline menaces.

Unknown said...

Tina- Growing up I had many outdoor adopted cat friends. Mom didn't allow animals in the house if it couldn't swim in a fish tank. They're wonderful. Bj was probably my favorite of those cats. It broke my heart when I had to give her away because we moved to an apartment building.

OFB- Hmm, I guess I never really thought of it that way. This cat is another she, that does sound a lot like her owner.... Actually for some reason all of our recent pets have been she. I guess people like to give away (sell cheaply?) females more than they do males!

Joy- Yes, I wouldn't trade her for the world. It's funny how each cat is so different. Truly a treasure... MOST of the time! I've had cats longer than I've had kids. I could totally see you as a cat lady. LOL. I'll probably be one too!

Nancy- Thanks. I've never met another cat like her. MIL doesn't particularly care for cats, but she
d take her in a heartbeat.

Violet- Wouldn't surprise me at all. Speedy isn't usually allowed outside, be I could see her doing that. I had a feline menace too, but she died a week or so after my dad did. That was a tough year!

tina said...

cinj, you are a good conversationalist! keep me coming back for more. cats and animals seem to be a toss away item for many. it is a shame.

Meems said...

Hi Cinj:Speedy sounds like a cat we had when my kids were growing up. We called him our dog-cat.Can't say he was as friendly as Speedy (didn't like strangers much) but he would follow us around outside like a dog- even up and down the street.
Speedy is very handsome too.
Meems@Hoe&Shovel

Anonymous said...

Cinj! my cat georgie boy thinks he's a dog...I swear I heard him barking the other day :). He loves my husband more than I and if big George tries to read georgie boy the cat jumps up and makes it clear there's no paper reading while he's in the house :).

I'm so glad I was able to meet speedy!

Unknown said...

Tina- Thanks! I like the back and forth banter/chatter. It's funny because I'm not usually as talkative as I am here. It really is horrible how society makes everything disposable, isn't it? I think it's truly terrible how people don't give value to anything (people and animals included).

Meems- It's funny how many people you meet that know or knew a similar cat. They're so nice when they are loyal like that!

Kathi- LOL! Sounds just the same as Speedy. She'll sit on my lap, but if Cheesehead comes in the room and sits down she's off to his lap instead. Too funny. Oh well. I'm usually busy on the computer anyway when I'm sitting down.

Gail said...

cinj,

We love all our children, even the furry ones! Speedy looks like the first kitty I truly loved, Tilly...Thanks for sharing Speedy's story.
gail

Unknown said...

Gail- Always glad to share. It's nice to have something other than the lack of spring around here! Sweetie's next, but I have to get a good picture of her first. She has to be looking at the camera because she's just SO darn cute!