Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

I'd like to introduce you to Blotanical!

I am so thankful to my friend Anna for introducing me to Blotanical. You can check out the website blotanical. We were missing our days of chumming around on the message boards and she told me about this great new site that she discovered. It sounded neat, so I thought I'd check it out.

It is a place that connects you to other gardeners and their blogs. You can share your gardening experience, what you like to do in you garden, and you can find their great blogs from all over the world. I am particularly enjoying it right now since there is nothing garden like outside my window for me to enjoy presently. My yard is buried under a thick blanket of snow! I go there and check out everyone else's beautiful gardens to get my "flower fix".

Here is a small piece of my garden from last summer. This was obviously taken before the seed was planted. (Many people like to see pictures in the blogs they read.)





Blotanical was founded by Stuart from Australia. He is a member of blotanical also, on his "plot" you can check out whatever information he wanted to share with the world. There is also some information about why it was founded and how it works on the news pages of the site.

What are plots, you ask? It may sound like a conspiracy if you think of the word in the wrong context. It is meant to be used in the gardening context of course. It is an area where you can find out a person's favorites such as what plants they like, colors, blotanists (people they met on blotanical) and blogs. Of course not all blotanists are open books either. It is nice because they don't pressure you to be someone you're not. You only share what you feel comfortable sharing. It's a very friendly atmosphere even though it may seem a bit competitive at first.

Whoa! Hold your horses. Please, let me explain.... The points system they use is what makes it seem a bit competitive to some. At different levels of points, you're awarded different priviledges. The more points you collect, the more blogs and blotanists you can choose. It's all in good fun though really, I haven't really met anyone who cares if someone ends up getting more points than them.

You collect points in a variety of ways. You are awarded points for logging in, getting messages, sending messages, having people visit your plot, and picking posts. My favorite part is picking posts. That is where you read other blogs and "pick" the ones that interest you most. Some bloggers seem to have somewhat of an advantage there since many have been members longer than others. It seems that many people tend to gravitiate towards their usual blog reads, but I'm sure there is usually good reason for that.

I think it's a great way to meet others who have the same interests as you. You can also find people to ask advice about your garden, find new friends, discover blogs you may never have found without it, the possibilities are endless!

Check it out! You'll be glad you did. You can always find a link to blotanical on my side bar if you loose track of this post.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

14 comments:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Cinj
Nicely put ! I actually forget there are people out in the cyber garden world that don't know about Blotanical .. now how silly is that ? LOL
Joy

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that I stumbled onto Blotanical. Though I've used the internet for years, the only other types of blogs I've read is about food (cooking is one of my other main interests). I like the way Blotanical is organized, easy to search and find blogs and it's fun to read about gardening all over the world. It makes me consider, for the first time, starting a blog of my own (maybe gardening and cooking). Even if it didn't have a lot of followers/readers, it would be a great way to record the time spent in my garden. Is it a matter of just submitting a blog to Blotanical or are there requirements?

Unknown said...

Joy- I know. I guess it's really simple, most people really don't think much about getting organized.

Lin- Blogs are fun. You should start one! I have blogged for quite a while, I guess it's more of a journal than anything. If I entertain some readers while I'm at it, that's great! I also like to make friends, so blogging is also a way to do that. I don't blog exclusively about gardening and I got in. Some people do several seperate blogs. Heck no, not me! I'm too eclectic for that kind of formailty. I'm all about rambling on about whatever I please! No requirements really. They check out your blog, but I think they approve anyone who wants to join.

Anonymous said...

Cinj - great post. I will add your Red Star soon.

As for the "I think they approve anyone who wants to join..." - we are a little more choosy than that and we have probably not approved as many blogs as we have approved. However, provided the blog has elements of someone enjoying their hobby as a gardener regardless of whether the blog is all about gardening - in most cases it will be approved.

Unknown said...

Stuart- Thanks. Sorry, I guess I just figured I was approved so anyone could be. Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad I was accepted, I'm lovin' it!

Melanie Chopay said...

Hi cinj, great post, I'm going to look through picks and find this post there so I can "PICK" it :-) Then off to bed before I turn into a pumpkin!

tina said...

i was wondering why everyone was posting about blotanical. now i see. you get points. where do you all find the time??

i am always happy to chat, here or gail's-yes i think conversations between all commenters are best-not just one way-or whereever. i try to keep up.

i liked your post on your house and i think it is good to hear the good, the bad and the ugly about house selling. good luck with yours.

Unknown said...

Melanie- Thanks. I always like seeing my posts get picked, that means someone must have found it enjoyable even if they didn't post a comment. Maybe one of these days I'll have enough picks to be in the top 10? I doubt it though, I'm not really all that interesting. LOL!

Tina- Actually we post about blotanical to get the red star, but I forgot to metion that now, didn't I? Oh well. No one's perfect. It seems that *many* of us are either stay at home moms or work out of the house. We just came off of spring break here, so it's not like they've been needing many subs this week. I probably won't be on as frequently in the next week or so, but I'm sure everyone's getting tired of my whinig about all of the snow around here anyway. :)

Thanks for stopping in!

tina said...

you're welcomed! i knew the post was for the red star since stuart said he would add it to you right away.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cinj, I enjoy blotanical very much, gardening is one thing I cherish. It's unfortunate we get very little growing time compared to others, especially this year!. I haven't looked at anyone's blogs there in a while due to the weather so I need to head over there.

Anonymous said...

Is the Stuart you mention, originator of Blotanical, also owner of the blog, "Gardening Tips 'N Ideas"?

http://www.gardeningtipsnideas.com/

Unknown said...

Lin- Yup! The one and only.

Kathi- Me too. I'm glad I signed up. It's been a neat experience. I've been enjoying all of the people I'm meeting there.

Anonymous said...

I'm loving it too and glad you got in! Shirley Bovshow/Edenmaker told me about it. I think the folks who visit our blogs are charming and talented. It's sure helped me through the tough days of selling and building.

Cinj--we don't get tired of you talking about your house woes. It's so insane and hard go it alone. I'm glad you were there listening to me. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Anna- thanks. Sometimes I worry about people deciding to stay away from my blog because I whine too much. LOL. Sometimes I just can't help it though, I get so DARN frustrated! They all seem very nice. I like to meet the variety of people. It's truly a wonderful experience! It's help me get over the loss of hg too. I just wish that grntea and Idaho would stop by and chat sometime, I sure miss them. Others too of course, but especially them. They always seemed so concerned about all of my projects and stuff. Sorry, there I go whining again. And then I wonder where Peanut gets it!