Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Could you just throw your garbage where it belongs? PLEASE???

Last week for Earth Day we went around town and picked up garbage. All of the kids at school I was substitute teaching at did it. When you look at these pictures, keep that thought in mind. These pictures were taken a day short of one week after the all school cleanup effort.



We couldn't believe our eyes when we saw these nasty beer bottle floating in the water. We reached as many as we could and managed to collect at least 4 large garbage bags full of bottles as well as several small plastic grocery bags.



Okay people, have any of you ever heard of an ashtray? I realize that you are probably partying teenagers who don't want anyone to know you are smoking or drinking beer, but please. Just because you're looking for some fun doesn't mean that the wildlife has to suffer! All of the cigarette butts were picked up, so these have appeared in the last weeks' time. How pitiful is that?



As we were dumping putrid, brownish green water out of the bottles that were bobbing up and down on the water I couldn't help but wonder how we could fail to take care of our earth. I'm not talking about going entirely out of your way or anything for those of you who would be put out by expending extra effort. I'm just talking about recycling glass bottles and throwing garbage away in trash cans. There are many other things I'd LIKE to see done, but is it so wrong to expect a bare minimum?

The fifth graders were working hard to use sticks to bring these bottles to a reachable location. Unfortunately we couldn't get them all. I think I might take my kids and some fishing nets here this summer as a community service project.



Two classes were assigned to this stretch of Harvey Street. There is a bog here (obviously) so it was difficult to get to all of the trash that floated in the water. You would not believe the amount of garbage that we took out of here. Looking at these pictures, it's hard to believe that this has been cleaned recently, isn't it?

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

12 comments:

Lets Plant said...

I hate that! Thank you for doing your part!! If everyone was more like you and just did their part imagine......
You deserve another E award!!

garden girl said...

Good for you and the children putting in so much effort cleaning things up.

It must have been painful seeing things returning to their previous state after all that effort. It's sad to see all that trash so carelessly discarded.

Cinj, You're doing a good thing teaching schoolchildren and your own children to be good stewards of the earth. You and your class should be proud of what you did together!

tina said...

Imagine having a neighbor who for revenge because breaks beer bottles in your yard and driveway? One night three! For four years! Yes, littering and ESPECIALLY these 'people' are my pet peeve. Thank God they moved and the house should be sold soon. Too bad they are still in the same town and still doing their tricks. Sigh. Litterers should be prosecuted to the fullest AND made to pick up litter for the rest of their lives.

Anonymous said...

OH Cinj--that looks awful. I would fear for the kids and getting some kind of sickness. I know ya'll were careful but just think of that running in to our backyards and little birds drinking from it. I hate the careless attitude of some folks. Thank you and the others for doing such a nice thing.

Anonymous said...

Grrrrrr!!!! What are people thinking?!!! You should get one of those tee-shirts that says "The Earth Is Not Your Ashtray." Grrrrr!!!

Unknown said...

I thought I'd ease your minds a bit.... Our kids all wore gloves for the trash pickup. We rewarded them for all of their hard work by giving them an extra recess. Some of the children were more into the project than others.

People that do this must have never been taught that they are responsible for their actions OR to think of other people. How can you be a parent and NOT try to teach your children theses essential lessons?

LP- Thanks. Just doing my job!

GG- I was furious. I didn't have any gloves or bags in my car so I had to leave them where they were. I'll be heading back again tomorrow to pick my son up from softball. I think I'll load the van with the proper gear I need to get some of the job done. I'm not sure what I've got laying around to get those bottles out of the water. I guess that will take a bit of digging around....

Tina- Thant puzzles me. How can adults be so childish? I wonder if they've ever heard of a little word called "communication".

I think that people who are caught littering should not only be fined, but they should be assigned litter patrol as community service. Maybe they'd learn how hard it is for one person to clean up other people's garbage.

Anna- I know! It breaks my heart to see such a careless attitude. Those poor frogs were given beer water to live in.

OFB- I don't know why these people can't carry a portable ashtray. Just because they want to pollute their lungs doesn't mean they should pollute the earth too.

tina said...

For sure!

Gail said...

cinj, It is infuriating...cigarette butts are not going to degrade, it's littering. I don't get people who litter, not at all!

Gail

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of it is how you're raised. My dad taught us to leave an area cleaner than we found it and we always carried (used to camp/hike a lot) out and disposed of every scrap of trash. I taught the same to my kids and I have no doubt they'll teach their children (when they have them) and so on.

It's always good to hear of school groups getting involved. As we all know, it's bad on every level to trash our environment and studies have shown that litterbugs are more apt to add their trash to areas that are already littered.

If you want to see something scary GOOGLE the floating garbage "dump" that is out in the middle of the ocean. Chris Parry with the California Coastal Commission in San Francisco said the so-called Great Pacific Garbage Patch (aka North Pacific Gyre), has been growing at a brisk rate since the 1950s, The San Francisco Chronicle reported Friday.

The trash stew is 80 percent plastic and weighs more than 3.5 million tons.

Unknown said...

Lin- Seriously? YUCK! No wonder the poor fish are suffering. It sure seems that just doing a little recycling will cut down on the ladfills SO much.

It is true. I sure wish that more people would teach that to their children.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Dang, how frustrating. We feel you pain, the school kids and peopel driving by throw trash in the ditches around our home. We have to clean them every week. What is wrong with people.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

I find it sad that we have to go out to clean up this kind of mess, I admire you for taking the kids. I hope they will learn from their experience and not dump garbage anywhere they want. Job well done!