Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

UGH! I think my arms are going to fall off.

Man, I thought I was never going to finish that awful task! Normally I don't mind doing a little raking, but do you know how hard it is to rake gravel out of grass? No wonder the guy didn't want to bring in his plow the last time he came in. Well, it was my fault for asking him to come in! I'm not sure what was worse: getting stuck in the driveway every day or the excruciating labor it took to pull that gravel off of the grass back over to the driveway where it belongs.
You should see all of the leaves and pine needle now gathered on the driveway now too!



See this pile? It's what's left of my snow pile. Really. It DOES look like a pile of dirt, doesn't it? I think I'll still have some of it left in May. This is the last of it though so I won't complain about it. I was FINALLY able to uncover my plants again. They are growing and greening up nicely.



Our lawn was also covered with leaves. That wasn't really the worst part of lawn work today. At least those parts of the yard didn't have to be raken a million times each! The leaves were pretty heavy though since they were so wet. If we hadn't had so many of them I might have decided to leave them where they laid, but the grass just wasn't greening up in those areas.



Our poor lawn is full of holes too. I think it's from the deer that sauntered through our yard when the soil was still soft. Great, another project I need to do. I just don't think my work will ever end! How do I even fix this? Can I just put dirt in the holes and reseed the lawn? Wait, WHY do I have a lawn again? Oh, right. I have kids who would trample all of my plants if I didn't have a lawn area for them to play in.



The "final" product of all of that raking. See? I did uncover some snow under all that gravel. The rest was frozen into the pile still. Hmm, guess that means still MORE work for me to do. I'd rather tend my flowers. I guess a lawn is needed if I want to be able to preserve my gardens though. SIGH! I miss the good old days when this used to be Cheesehead's job! Can you really tell that much of a difference in this picture? It looks A LOT better when you see it in person.





Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a HUGE difference! Wow, what a lot of work. I have to pace myself on projects like that, it's great you got it done at one time.

Melanie Chopay said...

Cinj, that was a humongous project. I'm glad you got everything off the lawn so it could start growing again. We had so much rain in the past two days that our lawn shot up about 6 inches. Last night though I think we had a frost and I'm afraid to go out and look :-(

Kylee Baumle said...

Oh Cinj, what a huge job! This is how spring is, isn't it? We want it to be spring, but we kill ourselves doing all the things we need to do. But what you did was especially grueling!!

Anonymous said...

Ack!!! Poor thing! I hope you had a long, hot bath and some hot herb tea or something to relax afterwards. Ouch!!!

Gail said...

Wow, snow under the dirt!

You were a very busy girl and deserve a reward, you did reward yourself didn't you?!! I can't wait to see your springtime!

Gail

tina said...

That must've been hard raking all that gravel.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I admire your perserverance! I would've tossed in the towel & dumped woodchips on top like they use in playgrounds around here. "Here, kids, run & play, just don't fall down or you'll get splinters."

Unknown said...

Kathleen- Well, I did start a little of the work the day before. It was a huge job. I don't think I want to attempt it again though!

Melanie- Me too. I'm so glad that I'm done with that task. I hope the frost didn't hurt anything.

Kylee- You're right. I can't believe all of the work we do in the spring. If I had more work like that to do maybe I'd be a bit thinner!

"ben"- Not yet. I don't take enough time for myself. I've got plans to treat myself though, just delaying the gratification!

Gail- Weird, isn't it? It's from when I had my driveway plowed. The gravel got scaped along with the snow. It didn't look like a whole lot got scraped at the time, but the more the snow melted the worse it looked.

I plan to treat myself tonight to a fish fry at our favorite resturant Tula's. MMMM!

Tina- Yup. I won't repeat THAT mistake!

MMD- LOL! The thought crossed my mind! Our yard is rather big though so I ruled it out. I DO plan on adding extra mulch to the mulch garden. It was too hard to get all of the rocks out of there.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

The work is never done is it? I love the deer track holes :), if I had them I might try to make molds of them...LOL

Unknown said...

Kathi- That's a good idea. I might have to go down and find my plaster of paris. Such a teacher like thing of me to do isn't it? Who has plaster of paris just lying around their house waiting for the opportunity for use anyway?

I could mold all of the holes and them clump them together for stepping stones in my garden!