Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Since you asked Anna....

I told a you that I got called in to work in the middle school today. While I don't mind kids that age, they tend to gang up on me when in packs. I usually tend to be run all over since I'm a bit too nice.

I was really dreading it actually. I had the lady at the day old bread store commiserating with me about it too. I said several prayers about the day going well on my way there and... guess what? They worked.

The day went pretty well, no major blowups or catastrophies to speak of. I was rather impressed. I have to go back again tomorrow in a different class, I'm hoping that goes as well. I even had the band teacher come over and compliment me on the students' behavior today. They ARE fun to talk to. Actually I find all children can be funny and interesting in different ways. The middle schoolers are the most likely to pull attitude with me though, which is the part I dread about teaching those ages. I tell my classes that I will treat them the way that they treat me, sometimes it works and other times, not so much.

Now, if I could just get those home sale prayers answered I'd feel a heck of a lot better!

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've worked with kids at all grade levels and, really, I like them all. Middle school has, for lack of a better word, the most "turmoil" (due to hormones?), but the kids are a kick...just fun and often funny.

Glad your day went well. I think there's a special place in heaven for subs! Hope your good luck follows tomorrow.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

I was just thinking of my daughter's sixth grade class...what a hoot, it seems so long ago. Teachers are so under paid and under appreciated!

Anonymous said...

I like 10th grade best. They think they are grown ups but still young enough to be innocent. The still show their wow when they learn something. A 12th grader is too cool to show their wow at something new and interesting.

If I took just two classes or 6 more hours of college credits, I could be a sub in the state of NC. I can teach school in a private school but can't sub in the state schools. I just might do it. I have taught Biology and would love to sub there. They need science teachers but I don't want to do it full time. We moved around so much in the AF that I never bothered to get a state certification.

I bet you are more awesome than you think. Kids need all the kindness we can show them. They learn from what they see. Just be yourself, you are a natural at loving children. And those crazy kids will always give subs a hard time.

Oh let me tell you a funny story. One time when my mom was very ill and I had a million things going on, I completely missed an afternoon class. I had an afternoon class right after lunch 2 days a week. I was off on 3 days of the week and I just left and went home. Do you think those students told anyone I wasn't there? No! They were as quiet as a mouse and went unsupervised for the whole period. It wasn't until later in the day when the cat was let out of the bag that anyone found it out.

The school called me and just laughed it off. Just goes to show that those kids can be quiet when they want to.

Unknown said...

Linn- I "taught" a music class, we watched The Music Man (1961 version). The kids seemed pretty interested in finding the little red headed boy when I mentioned he was also the red head on Happy Days. I wasn't sure if they would even know the show. It was pretty fun! It was 6-8 grades. They can be nice when they choose to be.

Kathi- You're not kidding! Teachers provide many services that people don't even realize. I hear that in Japan it's one of the most respected professions. I wonder why our society seems to think so differently.

Anna- You'd be good at it. You remind me of a teacher I once had, he was a fun loving kind of guy. I was the only junior in a senior class of English Lit. We had all kinds of fun. One day we decided to go out and have class on the main steps, just for a social experiment. When the bell rang for 9/10 grade lunch they were perplexed as to what they should do. It was a riot!

I started out to be a high school science teacher, biology in fact. How weird is that? For various reasons I decided to go be an elementary teacher instead though. It really can be rewarding when you have a good day.

The Diva said...

Oh, I so understand. I've raised two middle schoolers. I have another one now and a little one in training. Keep saying your prayers.~~Dee

Unknown said...

Dee- LOL! I managed to survive yet another day. The last hour was a bit rough, but the rest of the day was fairly pleasant. I suppose I'd call it a success?

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain ~ that would be the age group I'd be most hesitant to sub for too. My daughter is getting ready to move up to high school and I can't wait! It's been a hard three years.