Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Cake, anyone?

We made this cake a while ago, but I'm just now getting around to talking about it. It was too neat of a story not to share with you!

Cheesehead and his friends at work cooked up a plan to help one of their coworkers to celebrate his 60th birthday. They arranged for 60 different people to each bring in a cake to help make his birthday extra memorable. Some were brought in right away when he started working, still others were coming in when we came in when Cheesehead was finished with work. The man of the day invited us up to have a piece of cake, so of course the children were more than happy to oblidge!

I sure wish I had a picture of all of the cakes that were brought in, but a couple of reasons that didn't happen.

First, all of the cakes were brought in at different times. They weren't all in the store at the same time. By the time the last of the cakes were brought in, some of the first cakes had already been devoured.

Second, cameras are not allowed where they work, so we wouldn't have been able to do it anyway. There were some really neat looking cakes there too. It's been a couple of weeks since the event, but I distinctly remember an adorable cake in the shape of a cowboy hat. There were several others as well. I think there was a cake of every kind there! It was quite a sight to behold. I can only imagine how overwhelmed I would have felt if that had been me!

So, without further ado...



We made a yellow cake with white frosting. Of course it was straight from a box mix and a canned frosting. I'd really like to be more into the homemade stuff, but I had to make this during a long stretch of working every day. I just didn't have the energy to do it this time around.

Silly me, I let the kids be in charge of decorating it. They knew that Cheesehead didn't like sprinkles so only 1/2 of the cake was covered with sprinkles. As you can see, they weren't too light handed with the sprinkles either. Sure hope people enjoy a few sprinkles to go with their cake! I just had to take a picture of it before it was hauled off for the festivities. We had SO many different kinds of sprinkles, of course the kids had to use some of each on the cake (even though there are turkeys, ghosts, black cats, and Christmas wreaths thrown in there) It's a bit, umm... eclectic?

Oh well, it's the thought that counts right?

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Cindy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the best idea I've heard yet for someone's big event. I bet the birthday boy thought it was a hoot. I like the cake you and the kids made. Happy b-day to your man too.

Hey--my last day is tomorrow. I know that you know that---but I'm just celebrating it since you are passing cake around.

tina said...

I think your cake looks great.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

I would eat this cake! Mmmmm, your children did an awesome job! This is the second time I've heard of so many cakes being made, last year a lady my Mom works with turned 50 and everyone had to bring a cake to her party so it totaled 50 cakes, can you imagine? It sounds like a little slice of heaven to me:). Happy Friday!

I am so excited to see Anna back up!

Unknown said...

Anna- I thought it was a neat idea too! Do you want sprinkles or no sprinkles? I'll cut you a piece. We may have a few more reasons to be celebrating soon (I hope!). We've got another showing at 5:00 tonight. Fingers crossed and praying like mad!

Tina- Thanks. It was fun to make.

Kathi- I know. Wouldn't it be neat to have that many people think so much of you that they each made a cake?

I'm glad Anna's back up too. Those mean old people can't keep her down!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea. I haven't heard of doing that before but it's a great way to make a memory. I doubt he ever forgets it. and for the record, I would definitely eat your cake!

Anonymous said...

Yow, Cinj! I didn't know there were that many kinds of sprinkles on earth! I love the effect--sort of like a treasure chest with all the gold and jewels spilled out!

Unknown said...

Kathleen- Thanks! Not bad for less than $2 if I do say so myself. Well, if you don't count the decorations anyway....

Ben- I know! Peanut LOVES to bake and decorate cakes. Most of the sprinkles I got on 75% off after holiday clearances. I loved the prices, she loves the decorating ability all of those choices give her. Too bad we didn't have the time to use her cake decorating kit that she got for her birthday!

Where else can you enjoy a halloween / thanksgiving / christmas / birthday cake?