Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Consoling myself with plant shopping

I was feeling pretty down the other day, so I decided to calm myself with a trip to town. I had a bunch of errands to run anyway. What harm could a little bit of shopping do?



I needed a few more essentials that I ran out of. Since I just started my compost pile and my "lawn" reminds me of the beach, potting soil was a must on my to purchase list! I also got some grass seed to place in my deer track hole areas of the yard and I managed to find a few plants. I tried not to buy too many since I have some seeds to plant as well. Cheesehead will probably get tired of waiting them to grow though and *make* me go buy some already grown ones. I guess we'll wait and see how patient he's feeling!

I also had to get Cheesehead a new battery for his rider. The battery shouldn't be bad already. I suppose that's what happens when you get so distracted by life's events to take it out and protect it from freezing. I wonder why we don't have to do that to car batteries????



I decided to do a scientific experiment. I have the exact same plants in the same numbers of variety. I thought it would be fun to see how the expensive potting soil mix we bought last year would fare against my home mixed container mix. I can't wait to see the results!

My mixture? Potting soil, perilite, sphagnum moss, and cow manure compost.



I love the stripe effect on this petunia, isn't it interesting looking? I was planning to buy proven winners as Anna suggested, but I just had to buy this petunia instead. Peanut's favorite color and the neat design was just too much for me to pass up!



Each coconut lined hanging basket contains one wave petunia Misty Lilac Spreading Petunia, 2 Dusty Millers, and 2 Rose Splash Select Hypoestes. They may end up a little crowded at the end of the summer, but summers here are fairly short-lived anyway so I thought I'd give them a try!



Look, I found a mix with some neat orange coleus too! YAY! I'm sure it probably isn't sonata or anything, but close enough to please me. The tag says it's a Wizard mix. The best part was the price. This lovely 4 pack was only $1.55! A far cry from $8 for ONE plant. The other one was bigger, but I can be patient (I think I've proven that already!).

I am hanging this basket by my shade garden. I also added a few impatien seeds to the middle. I've never grown my own impatiens from seed before, but I hope I'll do just fine.

Oh, and all 4 of these packs of flowers only cost me a dollar and some change! I finally got around to using my newcomer certificate (worth $5) at an out of the way nursery. I'm sure I'll be frequenting that one more often than the ones I went to Tuesday with Cheesehead.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

7 comments:

The Diva said...

Cindy,

I'm glad you were able to shop and find some pretties for your place. I've been reading over your last few emails. I'm so sorry about your house and the foreclosure. Hang in there.~~Dee

Anonymous said...

I think shopping and planting is good therapy! You did a good job with your value shopping, I can't wait to see how your potting mixture comes out! :)

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

It sounds like great therapy to me. Pretty things.

Anonymous said...

Your potting mixture experiment sounds really interesting. Be sure and keep us updated!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Cinj .. I always feel better when plant shopping ! It is the best possible therapy this time of year .. even when I have over done it .. this past week (OUCH) .. I was doing most of my seeds up yesterday and planting two new heleniums (got all excited over that one especially) ..
I can't explain it .. but we all know it makes us feel better !
Love your mix for the hanging planters .. and that striped petunia is wow ! I haven't seen that here yet .. petunias may be old fashioned but I still love them along with geraniums. They rock, during heat and humidity time here in Kingston .. saves my sanity when I can't "baby" a plant.
Good luck with the experiment .. I will be interested too !
Joy

Unknown said...

Dee- I was so happy to find some plants I felt that I could afford! Very easy to find plants that wow you, but when some of them are $50-$200 I just can't spend that kind of money right now! It's warming up and I'm working hard to cheer myself up.

Kathi- You know it hon! I can't wait to see how my experiment turns out.

Debbi- Sometimes plants work better than any other kind of therapy that's out there.

Kathleen- You bet I will!

Joy- I know. I don't even really have to buy anything sometimes I go just to get out there. I love the sights and smells. At home I don't seem to notice the aroma of my junipers, I suppose it's easier for my sniffer to smell things when they're in a large group. I just love the smell of a green house!

I have a hard time trying to "baby" plants too. Sometimes it's hard to even get out of bed let alone baby plants! I do want to try more roses. I've always had good luck with any variety until it comes to coming back in the spring. So far the rose I have here is coming back wonderfully. If only a day or two of extra care is required I can handle it.

Anonymous said...

Ha!!! That petunia is fantastic! And it's always great to get a bargain. I recently found a 5 seed packets for $1 deal at a local store, and they were packaged for 2008, too! You can bet I had to get some to add to my stash. Nothing like plant shopping to cheer you up!