Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Grass grief

I realize it's early yet in our spring, but after all that work last fall I had hoped for better spring results.

Oh, from the road it looks pretty nice.

But then you get closer and you find all of these bare spots! I'm sure the deer didn't help it any, but could they have damaged it that much? What did I do wrong? I've never had much of a problem having nice grass in the past.

Okay, I can't get the computer to import my pictures right now, so I'll have to add them later.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy


Okay, I finally was able to get it to work. Here are the pictures I promised you!
This first picture is what my house looks like from the road. Not bad.... Well, you can tell where I stopped raking I guess but it looks fairly green up near the house at least.


When you get up closer though, THIS is what you see.

This is what it looks like near the driveway. LOTS of bare spots!


Even further in though it's not so pretty. I've never had such trouble growing grass before if I do all of the neccessary prep work. It is worst by the driveway. That is the same area all of the deer footprints are in. I'm sure I'll get around to it soon....

I've been thinking about trying those zoysia grass plugs, has anyone tried them? Care to tell me what you know?

6 comments:

Amy said...

You might just need to do a bit of seeding in the bare patches to fill them in a little, though I'm no lawn expert.

Gail said...

Well, I say let the grass go and plant native wildflowers! But I don't have little kids who love grass
and want to roll around in it or play soccer on it!

I don't know grass...it's terribly weedy at my place! Amy is right reseed, it's spring and you have time. Maybe the extension agents can advise on the type of grass to seed.

Gail

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about grass either and it doesn't really bother me. Not a "grass" girl I guess. If mine started looking really bad, I'd probably have to really consider tilling it under and planting xeric! I know that isn't for everyone tho. I hope you find a solution and sorry I wasn't any help!

Anonymous said...

I'm currently "lawnless", but have always had grass when I lived other places. We usually had Dh's favorite...hybrid Bermuda, which is very thick and tough (used on golf courses), but I remember dealing with a few lawns.

If the lawn is just a little thin, overseeding with a quality lawn seed may be the answer--usually over the whole lawn to achieve an even look. Seed may also be broadcast over thin lawn areas, but there needs to be good soil to seed contact. I think a topper would be a good idea, too.

It's early in the season, you can still have great grass this year.

I'd call your favorite nursery for advice.

Even if it's not perfect, some green grass is better than all that "white stuff" you were so tired of!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Grass is tough, you have a lot of beautiful pines there, so that means little sunlight, then factor in the cold and snow...snow mold, ect. You will get it in time, my dad lived in Bemidji for several years in similar conditions, he eventually had a nice lawn. A lot of love and patience! :)

tina said...

Lawns can be so frustrating and take a long time to establish. You should get a soil test first thing to check for ph, then take it from there. If your soil is like ours down here, it may be acidic. I thought my lawn was fine until I found out it was VERY acidic when I FINALLY broke down and soil tested it. I have rectified it and now it is fairly beautiful. I don't think any lawn really grows well in less than full sun. Zoysia is recommened for down here, but it needs some serious sun. It would turn brown in the wintertime. Good luck and be patient! Get that soil test and let us know the results.