Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Yard Work

It was a beautiful day to work out in the yard here today, so Peanut and I got much accomplished! (My son decided to collect pop tabs from all of the cans we've been collecting. He's trying to singlehandedly earn admission to the icecream party for his entire class. Some sort of contest I guess....)

There were so many projects to do, it was hard to know what to do first!



Look at all of those trees growing up around the house. The whole house was surrounded. I would have transplanted some of them if I had more energy, but we decided to pull them or cut them down instead.



It looks so much better now. I think I want to plant some azaleas or rhododendrons in this area! I also plan to lay edging and mulch this side of the house, but I don't want to do it all today.



This is the back of the house. We have big plans for this area. Someday we'd like to build a patio back here. The patio would be surrounded by raised flower beds and made of pavers. Won't it be dreamy?



Under the kids' swingset was quite over grown. Before adding sand, Peanut and I raked the leaves and pine needles out. After raking, we weeded the whole thing. We don't want it to be all full of grass like the last one was.



Then it was time for the sand. I managed to put 2 bags of sand in before it felt like my arms were going to fall off. I think I'll have Cheesehead help me with the rest! It's starting to look better already.



We put the edging in on the other side of the house last year. We even had the landscaping fabric down already. I don't know why I didn't get this done last year! It didn't take too long. I emptied about 8 bags of mulch over here.





Once I rearranged the fabric and laid the mulch, we decided to put some seeds down in this area. I don't think Cheesehead will want to plant anything over here since the meters are over here and buried cables. Annuals should be okay to grow here though, shouldn't they?



Here are some of the seeds we sowed along this side of the house. We planted quite a wonderful variety of them. I got these seed packets for the 2008 growing year at our local Goodwill for 20 cents per packet. I got a total of 10 packets. Not all of them were put here, but we did sow most of them here. It's a big area to fill anyway. I told MIL if I had any extras when it comes time to thin them out that I'd bring some to her.



Last, but not least we had a bunch of these trees growing in the yard. Well, I think they're trees. It looked more like a bush before I pruned the lower branches off. Sorry, I forgot to take a before picture. I believe that this is some sort of birch tree.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

11 comments:

Melanie Chopay said...

Hi Cinj, wow, you were busy today. That area with the edging and mulch looks great. I bet when the seeds grow it's going to make you smile!

garden girl said...

Cinj, it was very smart to take out those trees before they caused problems. We have a mulberry next to a sidewalk. It's too big to dig out, and may eventually crack the walk so we're trying to starve it by taking out the leaves every time they try to re-grow. The ones you took out could have been quite a problem in the future. Very smart to get 'em while they're not too big.

Your freshly-mulched spot looks great!

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Cinj, it sounds like you got a lot done. I barely managed to water my containers. I will do better tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Hi everyone! I just showed Cheesehead the work I got done today and he seemed pretty impressed. I feel good about how much we got done. There were a few other things on my list that I wanted to get done, but I guess they'll have to continue to wait!

Melanie- At first I was a bit annoyed that I didn't get more done, but looking back I guess it was quite a good day's work. Cheesehead didn't even seem upset that I threw some seeds in there. That surprises me since he's not such a big fan of seeds.

Linda- I've been planning on getting those trees out for quite some time. I'm glad I finally got off my lazy but and did it today. I wish I could have saved a few, but I'm sure more will sprout up.

Debbi- I've had days that I had all of these big plans and got nothing done. I'm just glad I felt so motivated today. Sometimes it's hard to muster up enough energy to do anything at all. It's terrible! I know everyone says this kind of thing happens as you age, but I'm too young to feel like this!

Everyone deserves a day off once in a while though, right?

Anonymous said...

We didn't have power again today. We heard a loud boom about 3ish as I got home from work. I think it was about 9 when it came back on. I guess they are still getting the kinks worked out from the tornado. And now, the server is down for my website--errrrr! But I'm able to get on blotanical.

I see you've been very busy. You are going to pay for it tomorrow when you wake up with sore muscles. I do think it looks lots better. I also love the patio idea you mentioned. Everything takes time and money. There is always something to do. It never ends and we never stop thinking of cool ideas.

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

Looks like you got a lot done! What were those trees? And hooray for houses with beige siding near the woods (mine is too!).
~ Monica

Curmudgeon said...

Looks wonderful Cinj! A little mulch makes things look so neat and tidy. --Curmudgeon

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

It rained here all day yesterday, I am currently waiting for a bit of a warm up and drying out :). You worked very hard yesterday, it always feels good doesn't it? Good job!

Happy Mother's Day Cindy! My prayers are with you to have a wonderful day!

Kathi :)

Anonymous said...

I think you accomplished quite a LOT! That's more than I did yesterday. The patio idea sounds great too ~ I can visualize it already! Happy Mother's Day!!

Barbee' said...

Moving right along, Cinj. It's looking great. Isn't it a good feeling to look back and see what's been done.

Peanut is getting so tall.

I did not get to work out doors today as I had planned. Stormy out there, even some hail, and cold about 50F.

Unknown said...

Anna- I'm surprised I wasn't sore at all the next day. Sorry, I guess I'm a bit behind in my responses. Hopefully your server is back up. I tried checking in at your blog and I couldn't get through.

Thanks. Wouldn't it be great if a big bag of money just fell out of the sky so I could do all of the projects I want to do? Oh well, I can wait.

Monica- I'm not sure. They may be some type of birch along with some thorny berryless bushes. The house blends into the scenery pretty well.

Curmudgeon- Thanks. It's amazing how little time that mulching project actually took.

Kathi- Thanks. I look forward to getting some rain. I like free watering. I guess it's harder to put up with rain if you've been having too much.

Kathleen- Thanks. Looking back, I guess I did accomplish quite a bit.

Barbee- I sure am! It's hard to believe that this is the same yard sometimes. I want to get it all finished soon.

Peanut and TBO are both growing so fast. They're growing like weeds.

Hopefully everything cleared up for you. Hopefully no damage from the hail.