Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

My woodland shade garden is taking shape

I've been doing some work to get my shade garden in order. It's starting to look pretty darn good even if I do say so myself. The plants are starting to sprout up from the ground.

Today I laid down some landscaping fabric, poured some shedded mulch chips over it, raked some leaves and pine needles onto the side where I didn't plant anything to add a bit of extra texture, brought in some logs, a bench, and a couple of planters. I may bring in some stepping stones to bring us from the edge of the garden to the bench area, but we don't have them made yet.

I surrounded it with logs to keep the mulch in place. In front of a small portion of the area I also placed some rocks that I've found laying around the yard. I tried leaving space for the taller moss variety to poke around the holes between the rocks. We'll see if the plan works or not.



This is a wide shot of the whole area. You can see that I have decided to transplant the arborvitae out of the deer's path. I hope that it's able to overcome all of the obstacles. Cheesehead wanted to throw it away, but I want to nurse it back to health. He thinks I'm crazy, I guess time will tell....



I have 5 pips of Lily of the Valley popping up out of the ground.




I'm not sure if these will survive the deer, but I planted some lotus here too. I forget which variety I planted, we'll see when they get a bit bigger.



I also planted some sedum and phlox in a sunnier part of the area. I may end up having to move them, right now it seems sunny enough. The leaves haven't come in on the surrounding trees yet though so we'll see if they get enough sun here. The phlox is growing well, but the sedum hasn't started yet.






I found a bunch of logs in the woods to surround it with. This is a shot of one of my favorites. I like the moss growing right on it. I sure hope that I'm able to keep it as it is!

I plan on planting some double impatiens in a hanging basket to hang on that heart shaped hook. I am also looking into planting something in the green wishing well. Maybe some nice vining ivy or something?

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Cinj! My shade gardens are actually my favorites. I love my veggies, but they take (gasp) work, and my sunny borders are very much works in progress. With the shade gardens, all I have to do is weed in spring and watch in awe as all those wonderful plants I put in spread and get more gorgeous by the year. Whoo-hoo!

lisa said...

How about some hostas? Seriously girlie just say the word...I have them coming out of, um, everywhere! ;-) Big ones, medium ones, small ones, and they all need divided and moved. It would make me very happy to send you a boxful...just email me at mrimomma at gmail dot com and give me your address! (Gotta keep you busy with happy thoughts, after all! :)

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Looking good so far! I think you'll find that Phlox paniculata can take more shade than advertised. I have Phlox 'Laura' growing in partial shade & it blooms fine (of course it's mildew resistant).
It's time to invest in some Liquid Fence and Deer Off. You need to spray your plants before the deer get used to them being on the menu.
Also, I want to warn you about landscape fabric. I don't use any & ended up ripping out all that was here when I bought the property because the weeds end up seeding in the mulch on top of the fabric & then sending roots down through the fabric, making weeding a nightmare. It's easier to put down several layers of newspaper & a couple of inches of mulch instead. Sorry.

Unknown said...

"Ben"- I love having a shade garden. I wasn't really able to have one at my old house, so I'm looking forward to it. I've found that my vegetable garden has always been more work than any other garden I've had. I will start that garden next year.

Lisa- I'd love some! You're such a sweetheart! I'm feeling SO happy now.

MMD- That's good to know. I was a bit worried, maybe it will end up working out after all!

Now you tell me that. Actually it's true, now that you mention it.... It sure was a lot of work! I guess I won't bother putting any more down in the rest of the gardens.

Deer repellant is on the list for the next time I go to the store. No buffet here!