Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

We need a hair cut!

What a busy weekend! We were in MN for about 3 hours. I felt bad that I wasn't able to take much time to care for the garden I left behind. It looked like all of my bushes needed a "hair cut". Poor things. I didn't take pictures of everything though as there wasn't much lush foliage on them so you would have been looking at a bunch of sticks with buds popping out on the limbs. This is what I went back to.

Mom works full time and drives so far for work. She doesn't have the time I did to care for the gardens. I don't know that she has the knowledge I have either. Not to sound smug, but she didn't seem to know quite a few of the care tips I told her for my plants. Without her help though, I wouldn't have been able to bring back some of my plants that we dug up. I know it may have seemed silly, but you know how the next owner comes out and chages things and tends to throw out some of the poor plants. I didn't want to take the chance that would happen. I love my babies, I want as many of them to continue to live as possible. If that means I look crazy, so be it!



No wonder no one is making me offers, they don't want to take on all of that work!

Once the kids are out of school I think I'll be making a run over to give my gardens the attention they deserve. I'm not sure WHAT we were thinking when we planted these in such a small space! I may try to move these next time. I know I could be killing these plants, but how can I just let them suffer in this spot? They were begging me to help them move. Can you hear their little voices calling out for help?



My three pass down peonies in my back mulch garden were growing beautifully. We had plans of getting rid of this garden when we lived there and now it's overgrown, I'm sure the next owner won't hesitate to get rid of it. I wanted them here in my new garden, so Mom dug them up for me.



In the foreground of this picture is what used to be my rose garden. I've been debating bringing my arbor here, but Cheesehead doesn't sound too fond of that idea. I may do it next time I go anyway though. I can be a bit stubborn that way. In the background you can see another part of the mulch garden. It is huge! I like the screening it provides and the neighborhood kids seem to like to play in it. I'm planning on taking more of my flowers out as well as a few lilac bushes. Maybe if I edit it a little bit it will be easier for Mom to take care of....



These arborvitae in the middle of the mulch garden were more passed down plants. They look a bit windburnt. Poor things! I'd think about bringing them here, but the deer would probably think I just opened an all you can eat buffet for them!



This was one of Cheesehead's little darlings. He dug it up and brought it back with us too. If it survives he has plans to go and dig up the other little ones as well. You're probably wondering why in the world we would need more trees when we already live in the woods. I'd have to say that's an excellent question! Umm, how about we're tring to bring in some diversity to live with all of the white pines?!?

I spent the day yesterday planting the transplants into my new yard. Whew, was that a lot of work! I'd post those but I think I'll save it for when the plants are growing more and I've had a chance to lay down edging, landscaping fabric, and mulch. Looks like I've got a lot more work ahead of me. Today's job is to clean out the garage though, so I suppose I'll have to save more garden work for Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy,

6 comments:

tina said...

It is a lot of hard work! I would be digging my plants too but you never know, maybe a gardener will eventually buy the house?

Gail said...

I'm with Tina, Take them out and leave some pretty annuals;) Simple is better for buyers and sellers. Good luck...

Gail

Anonymous said...

Go get 'em girl! Don't leave the plants you love to the mercy of the next buyer, 'cause they probably won't show any. Maybe the delay in the house sale is really a way of giving you a chance to save soem of your beloved plants! I'd agree with Gail about a colorful display of annuals, but if your poor mom has to water them, it might not be such a great idea. (Hmmm, containers and windowboxes full of fake annuals?! Er...) I envy you those white pines.

Unknown said...

Tina and Gail- Last year we put in more annuals into the ground. I took my shepherd hooks and hanging baskets early. You should see all of the pansies coming up this year. I think that's the plan for this year. I can't wait to get more of my plants! So far, so good. I sure hope I didn't shock the poor babies too badly with their move.

"Ben"- You should see the awful things the next owners did at my first house. They made me so angry. I just can't bear to go through it again, I need to save at least a few of the precious little ones!

I did have fake flowers on my house last summer. I may bring them back and put them back up when I go back.

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

The arborvitae bed looks strikingly eerie to one in my own front yard, complete even with the dogwood! I created mine as a screen from the road.
~ Monica

Anonymous said...

Hi Cinj. I'm glad you were able to save some of your "babies." I never go back to old houses because I couldn't bear to see my old beds gone. Unless a gardener buys your house, the new owner probably won't even notice the holes!