Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Mystery tree

We're completely stumped. I even asked our neighbor at the bus stop this morning. He didn't know either. I've been looking at trees since I last posted my wonderful wildflowers post. Now the buds are opened completely, I ran outside to take some more pictures.



As far as we've noticed this tree doesn't produce any fruit. As you can see, it has five petals. The blooms do look like a flowering crab. It seems similar to a crab apple tree. But it's the bark that stumps us.



I took this somewhat out of focus shot. I wouldn't have included it, but it shows the shape of the leaf so I included it anyway. If you look above in the petal picture you can see that the edges of the leaf are serrated.



Here's the bark. I've never seen anything but birch with striping like that. Our neighbor hasn't either.

It may end up being a tree, but it seems to grow in a bush like habit. I cut the lower limbs off of the largest tree in our back yard and shaped it like a tree. So far I'd estimate it's about 7 or 8 feet tall, but it still seems to be getting taller. The trunk is the size of a tree that you would buy from a nursery for at least $50 or more. If I had to guess how big around the trunk is, I would say around 2 or 3 inches. I'm not all that great at guessing correct estimates though unless I have some sort of measuring device.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

8 comments:

tina said...

The striping on the bark is called 'lenticels'. It is a kind of pore which allows the exchange of gases. Plants in the "Prunus" family have somewhat pronounced lenticels. The prunus family is cherry. I suspect your mystery tree is some sort of cherry tree. If not fruit, then surely an ornamental cherry. Enjoy.

Amy said...

I think Tina is right, and I'm almost certain you've got a choke cherry. I thought so right away when I saw the blossoms. They grow wild here, but people also plant them in their gardens. The fruit aren't poisonous, but the taste can cause a choking sensation. Apparently they can be good for jams/jellies though I've never tried.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Hi cinj, glad you showed up in my comments this morning. I had you as a fav in blotanical, but not linked on my side bar. I couldn't find you, sob. I am doing the wildflower of the week tomorrow. I would like to link your wildflower post.

Debbi.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you've already found some answers on your mystery shrub/tree. It's so great having other gardeners around, isn't it?

Unknown said...

Tina- Thanks. I was thinking that when I observed some cherry trees at Menards the other day.

Amy- It doesn't produce any fruit, so I'm guessing it's ornamental. It would be nice if it did though.

Debbi- I'm glad I went out exploring. I clicked my blotanical picks sidebar and it found you, so I'm not sure why they aren't showing up in the picks. I did add the links I found as regular links to my blog too. Link away. Thanks.

Kathleen- Sure is! Thanks for dropping by.

Gail said...

It's a lovely tree with fab blooms.

Glad the school year is over and you'll have more time for yourself and all the fun summer brings!

Gail

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Are you sure that it doesn't produce fruit? The birds might be picking it clean. That's what used to happen to my parents' Cherry tree when it was small. What ever it is, the bark is beautiful.

Unknown said...

Gail- 6 days left of school for the kids. I've got much to do before that happens! It is a pretty little tree, isn't it?

MMD- Well, I guess I can't say for 100% fact, I was a bit out of it last year. I'll have to pay closer attention this year. Our woods are crawling with these trees so it souldn't be hard to see if they do end up with fruit. I mean, the birds can't POSSIBLY eat all of the fruit off of every tree around before I see if there is fruit growing, can they? Okay, maybe that's a question better left unasked....