Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Purchases made

We had a fun day looking around at all of the garden shops. Sadly I couldn't afford to buy any of the plants I wanted to buy. I was drooling over an orange coleus plant called Sonata. It was very striking. I didn't have $8 to buy it. I can't spend that kind of money on an annual!

I didn't end up buying much of anything really. Mostly because we are going to get a couple of good frosts this week, I figure with all of the stress I'm under I really don't need to be piling any more work on myself.

So, without further ado, this is the extent of my purchases today.



Hardly as exciting as you thought it would be, is it?

I am making up my own potting mix this year and I couldn't find vermiculite last time I went shopping.

I wanted to pamper the plants that just went into the ground on Sunday too, so I got a transplant formula for them.

I loved Anna's tilted pot ideas, so I bought some large terra cotta pots and two sections of 2' rebar.

The gray plastic pots are meant to go into a bicycle planter that I have been working on fixing up. I'll show all of my progress on that project once it is finished.

Latly, the lilac was purchased to take the place of the poor arborvitae that ended up getting transplanted (hopefully out of the deer's path for munching) earlier.



I plan on staining this trellis brown. We ordered some hummingbird vines, those little black metal ones just aren't going to do it! I hope to finish this project tomorrow.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the landscaping. As HGTV would say, you're putting in a lot of "sweat equity".

Anonymous said...

I popped over to see the results of your greenhouse excursion. I'm feeling sad you couldn't get the plants you wanted. :-( You bought solid, useable materials tho that will pay off down the road. Hang in there....

Gail said...

cinj,

Hi, have you changed your background color or am I really slow to notice!

Did you say frost? Time to get out the old sheets and cover everything up!

Gail

Anonymous said...

Oh good, you are doing the multi pot thing. That will be lots of fun. Buy some drought tolerant six packs of stuff and load it up. I found portulaca in the top pots works really well. That way, you don't have to stand over it with a watering hose. Annual blue salvia is great in the bottom cause it grows up tall and looks pretty sending its spires up around the mid layer.

I think you did great today. You are smart to wait out the frost. I hate that bring it in then out then in then out then in again thing. It gets old fast.

tina said...

Sometimes in stores, especially with coleus you can find cuttings or broken branches laying around not in any way attached to the plant and due to be thrown out. Cuttings are free and work well to make plants! Especially expensive orange coleus.

lisa said...

Smart move to wait, tough as it is! I had some frost damage on my mailordered hostas, but I think they'll rally. Your projects sound really cool, and don't forget that perennials can pinch-hit in containers when annuals are too pricey. (Heck, my favorite time to buy annuals is on clearance in late June! I feel like a hero bringing them "back from the brink" of death :)

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

I love the hummingbird vines (cardinal vine?)--they should look really nice on the trellis. A colleague's last name is Schultz and he goes by Schultzie, which is how I now think of the perlite. Yep, gotta make a container mix of soil, compost, and Schultzie! ;-)
~ Monica

Unknown said...

Hey everyone! I'm feeling better today. Glad you dropped by.

F & F- Thanks. I don't do HGTV anymore though, long silly story though.

Kathleen- I got a few plants today since it appears the forecast has been revised.

Gail- It was changed recently. I was tired of going and seeing all of the details from my site everywhere else I went. Now that I've upgraded my blog it's easy to switch the colors. Thanks for noticing!

Anna- I can't wait to get everything potted up. Maybe this weekend? Thanks for the plant tips.

Tina- I did some checking around, but didn't see any loose scraps. Thanks for the tip though.

Lisa- Hostas are pretty hearty, so I'm sure they'll do great. I have a bunch that I left behind at my old garden. I get the plants that need to be nursed back to health too, it makes me feel good that I can do it. I can't wait to share my finished products with you all!

Monica- Thanks for stopping in! I can't wait until they start to grow up my trellis.

Anonymous said...

I am going garden center hopping on Saturday. But I won't be buying any $8.00 annuals either! I really like to wait until June and July to get the mark-down deals, but my Sister and I are going to make a day of it,so I may have to find something so it's not a wasted trip. ;)