Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Got Rocks?

I think this area has come a very long way. Do you remember what it looked like just over a month ago? I was telling everyone about these lovely sunny parts of the yard that melted it's snow before the rest of the yard did.



I am still working on it, of course but I am proud of all of our hard work. It has come a very long way. Since we had so little money the kids and I decided to make Cheesehead a memorial garden in honor of his dad for a birthday present. It was finished a day late, but we really needed to distract him yesterday. Boy, I think I'm going to sleep like a log again tonight.



I told you about some of the plants we brought back from our other house. I showed you the lovely pansies that the deer devoured which had been transported in shoe boxes. What do you think of this container for transport? Yes, you guessed correctly, it's a fire pit! Even better I had bought this firepit for $1 at a garage sale a couple of years ago. The other two peonies were transported in my concrete basket. I can't wait for them to bloom!



Here are the three freshly planted peonies as well as the snow in summer and the charming purple phlox, all settled in to their new home. They were planted quite some time ago if you notice the date. I also planted some practically free after mail in rebate bare root roses. Maybe not the best choice for me to spend my scant amount of money on, but roses are so pretty I just couldn't help it.

I can't believe how much the peonies have grown. The phlox has since come into full bloom too. I'm finding that I have to baby snow in summer a lot yet, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to rescue it from it's distress.



It took us what seemed like forever to get enough rocks from our yard to fill in the garden. This is almost finished, but still lacks about 1/2 the rocks it needed. If you look closely, you can see the dirt in the picture still. I didn't like having all of that exposed dirt. The rain splashed it all over the bird bath and statues. Now I just have a little bit of work to do and a name rock to add. I think I can handle that.



WHEW! After a week of rock picking from the yard, I have finally finished the new memorial garden. You would now believe all of the rocks we had in our yard! I filled four window wells, filled in part of a retaining wall, piled some rocks in the new shade garden, and put the rest of them in this garden.

The plants aren't very big yet, so it's hard to see them from this angle. Maybe in a month or so it will be easier to see them from this distance.

I planted hummingbird vines, violets, pansies, peonies, roses, phlox, snow in summer, stella d'oro daylilies, sedum, lavendar, salvia, and a few miscellaneous wild flowers that are still unidentified.

There is still not enough grass in the back yard, but I hope to remedy that situation soon. After we finish picking up the sticks I will be mowing the lawn, that will be our first step towards finishing the back yard. I am hoping to get the sticks picked up in the next day or two. When we get our tiller back from Cheesehead's friend who borrowed it, we will till the side yard again and then plant some grass seed over there.

Now, it's time to collapse into a qyuivering pile of jelly on the couch and veg out on the couch for a day or two....

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

11 comments:

The Diva said...

It looks wonderful. So much progress. How is the sale on the house going?~~Dee

Barbee' said...

That garden is so sweet! I wish I could hand you a bunch of rocks from here! Anyway, it's looking good. Really, you have put in a lot of plants.

cinj, I notice you use Blogger.com, but your new posts are showing up in the Blotanical lists. Mine are not. What kind of feeds do you have, their regular one, or did you change it to something else? I am so discouraged. I have contacted Stuart andBlogger Help Group, but nothing is happening. Sigh...

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a lot of work. I'm sure your hubby loved it. It's a very thoughtful thing to give him and everyone will get enjoyment from it.

Gail said...

Cindy,

hello! I love the woods in your yard...I would be out there searching for all kinds of wildflowers! I love free. Anyway, you have been very hard at work! Cindy, what are hummingbird vines?

Gail

Anonymous said...

Wow Cinj, I can't believe how much you all have accomplished!!! Your garden looks fabulous! (I of course am jealous of your rocks. We're still trying to find enough to make a medicine wheel here, and it looks like it's going to be a lifetime project...) And I love your peony in the firepit. Talk about multitasking!

Unknown said...

Dee- Thanks. Looking back it sure didn't SEEM like I got much done. It's easier to remeber the progress made when you can look through pictures.

Barbee- UGH! I had to stop looking for rocks in our yard, I ran out of places to put the other rocks in our yard. Most of the plants are wildflowers from elsewhere in my yard/woods, 5 are from MN, 2 were free after rebate, so I only bought about 2 of them. Not bad, huh?

I sent you an email about your posting issues. I hope everything works out for you!

Kathleen- It sure was. Cheesehead didn't say one way or another what he thought of it. Well, other than the fact that I need to pull the grass out of there....

Gail- I checked out the yard for this garden. The flowers from the woods need to be put in the shade garden. Lots of unknown flowers in there, but they sure are pretty. The deer better leave my gardens alone!

Hummingbird vines are climbing vines that usually have orangish-red flowers. Obviously they attract humming birds. I'm not sure what the botanical name for them are, but I see them in the catalog from 4 seasons all the time. I'll see if I can find out some more information on them in the next few days. I've never grown them before, so this is my first attempt at them. Let's hope I'm able to keep them alive.

Anonymous said...

That all looks so fantastic.I wish I had some of your rocks. I love any kind of stone. That was smart to group them. It is back breaking work to constantly lift and move one by one.

I'm glad school is out for you---Yippee.

Unknown said...

Anna- Thanks. I like the impact groupings can make.

Want some? I know I've got more that will show up when we run the tiller again. WHERE on earth am I going to put them???? At least most of them were fairly small, but I could still feel it a bit today. Can you believe I subbed on the second to the last day of school?

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Wow that is a lot of work. I love rocks and yours look wonderful. The whole setting is extra special!!

Anonymous said...

It looks so awesome! Rock work is hard but it's so worth it in the end!

Unknown said...

Cindee- Thanks. I can't say that I wish I were still working on it, but I love the look of that garden. Thanks for stopping by!

Kathi- It sure is. We're enjoying this area tremendously. My back sure hurt after all of that bending and lifting.