Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

I Fought the Lawn and the Lawn Won

What an ordeal! I thought I had picked up enough rocks and sticks that I could venture to the back yard to mow it. Boy, was I wrong!!!

Luckily I was wearing capris (which on me are almost regular length jeans!) instead of the usual shorts, so my legs didn't get scratched up like they could have. I know I will end up with bruises though. Ouch! I didn't even see that much stuff laying on the ground!



From a distance the yard looked fairly decent before it was even mowed. It sure looked a lot more green.



But this is what it looked like after I mowed it. I know, now you can really tell that our back yard has no grass!



I had to mow though. Look at how crowded my poor peony I bought and planted last year was getting. I couldn't let all of those bushes/trees over take the poor thing! Cheesehead had written this plant off last year already. I sure am glad I was stubborn and wouldn't let him dig it up. Sometimes it pays to be hard headed I guess!

I had to take care of the endless amounts of shrubs and trees all over the yard area before they got so big that they weren't managable. The kids need a nice open area to play in, I can't let all of our 2+ acres be covered in trees.

Besides getting pelted by endless amounts of unseen debris, there were several pit falls I was aware of prior to the lawn mowing ordeal began. After all, I created them!



I can't even count how many places these rock holes were hiding.



There were also several places where we removed huge sticks as well.

I couldn't have very well left the sticks and stones there. I mowed my yard once last summer and all of these obstacles caught the blade and killed the lawn mower several times. It sputtered a few times this year, but at least there wasn't anything so big left in the yard to cause harm to the lawn mower. Just my poor unsuspecting legs. I guess I'll have to get out the rake and see if I can uncover more of the buried treasures that lurk in the grass. Next time I mow the grass I hope I am not left hobbling around on battered legs.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

9 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my goodness, what an ordeal!

tina said...

Yup, the lawn won. It will take time but with diligence it will grow nicely.

garden girl said...

ouch! I like our arrangement - my husband does the lawn, and I do the garden. It's a match made in Heaven!

Gail said...

mr i don't garden/blog mowed the lawn yesterday, boy was I pleased!
I never manage to pick up everything...I know the blades are all dented!

Anonymous said...

I tell you what---you have taken on this yard at full force and really started to manage the whole thing. Bravo. My back yard is full of ruts and my front is full of weeds. This will call for drastic measures in the fall.

Unknown said...

Amy- It sure was!

Tina- So much time has already passed, I just don't feel like it's ever going to be nice looking.

Linda- You should see my poor legs today. I can't take a picture of them since they look awful all around, but ow.

Usually Cheesehead is in charge of mowing. This was my second mowing excursion. I sure hope I don't have very many more.

Gail- It's one thing to have a few things in the yard, it's quite another to be constantly pelted by various pieces of debris. I discovered today that there is now a hole in one of our garage windows from one of the flying things.

Anna- I think I may have to get a bucket and start bailing out this sinking ship. We're both in the same boat. I forgot how much work it is to start a new yard. Now I am remembering why we didn't want to buy new construction!

lisa said...

Ack! Now I remember why I don't mow! Of course, when you have young kids there's no getting away from it.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

This is your yard's way of telling you that there's too much shade for a lawn. Listen to it & save yourself the trouble. This reminds me of my mowing adventures b4 I put in the garden. When it was dry, the mower used to kick up tons of dust, the grass was so sparse.
Kill the grass, plant Lamium & relax in a hammock with a glass of Lemonade.

Unknown said...

Lisa- If I would have let it go my whole yard would be covered in trees. With Cheesehead working 60+ hours a week I just had to help the poor man out.

MMD- I'd love the ease of work, but we want grass since you can't walk on ground cover.