Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Opinions please! Chewings Fescue?

Cheesehead refuses to have a lawn full of ground cover. It's so nice of you all trying to help us reduce the amount of work for me. You're all so very sweet. We want grass for the kids to romp and play on. How could they have their water balloon fights if they couldn't step on the ground covers?

I've been doing research for a while since our grass is growing in so poorly. Our yard is pretty shady, sandy, and we need drought tolerate plantings since I can't spend all of my time watering. No irrigation systems for me, thank you very much! Um, that's a story for another time, but Anna already knows the whole story.

So, getting back to what I would like your opinions on... I have found most information pointing me towards Cheewings Fescue for our grass. It seems to meet our needs on the surface, but I would like your input. I found a place where I can get a 50 pound bag of if, but it's pretty expensive. I guess I want the experienced opinions of gardeners before I take the plunge. Has anyone had experience with it? What should I use to prep the yard? Do you think that it would be the best choice for us considering all of the options?

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should just run over to a big box and buy up some of those artificial looking green, turf rugs...you can hang them on a line and hose them down if they get dirty...I'm serious Cinj! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Though I've replaced all my grass with drought-tolerant flowering plants, I can understand wanting grass for your kids to play on. We always had some when mine were younger.

My climate and conditions here, in Southern CA, are so different from yours, all I can suggest is going with the advice of a trusted local nursery and checking out what is growing well in neighbor's yards with similar conditions. Plus, internet research, which it sounds like you've already done.

Good luck with it! :)

Amy said...

There's an article on Kate's blog "The Manic Gardener" (she's on blotanical) about drought tolerant grasses for shady yards that was quite good. I think what she was saying was that fescues are slow growing, so it's good to get fescues with rye mixed in to help fill in the space until the fescues take off. This will keep the weeds from taking over until you get the lawn established. Anyway, I'm not sure if I remember it all correctly but I'm sure if you look around on her site you'll see the post. Hope that helps!

tina said...

Sorry, no experience with chewings. But you are doing the right thing by researching thouroughly. I say go for it!

Unknown said...

Kathi- LOL! Talk about low maintainence. I think Cheesehead would frown on it though.

Lin- The grass I'm thinking about is also drought tolerant. I think it will be perfect once it's established.

Amy- Thanks for the tips, I'll check out her blog too. It's best to go with some variety.

Tina- Cheesehead was just asking me if I ordered the seed yet. I guess he's wanting some grass around here. I must be taking too long with my decision making process!

Barbee' said...

Sorry, no experience with that, but I will be interested to read the rest of the story when it happens.