Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Runaway Nephew

I feel awful.

My sister left her first husband because he was abusive, it was over 11 years ago. They had two children together, a boy and a girl. They are very intelligent children, but they don't look forward to spending their summers with their dad. They moved to Ohio about 7 years ago over their father's heavy protests. He tried to block them from moving and failed.

They got poor grades this year (again) and I guess their father thinks he can do a better job of making the two teenagers get better grades. He sued for custody for a third time, but this time he actually won. I'm not exactly sure how since he strangled my sister, my niece was afraid to shower after coming home from summer vacation one year, is a recovering alcoholic, has been in and out of jail several times for various reasons, I could go on and on. How does a man like that get custody???

What will he be able to do to make them get better grades? They're teenagers! My sister was (is) very smart too, but she did the same thing in high school. Teenagers are so self absorbed and into image I don't know that a strict dad frowning at them for getting bad grades will really do much. My parents couldn't get my sister to apply herself no matter what they did, but no one ever tried to take her away from them because they thought they could do a better job raising her!

Needless to say my nephew didn't want anything to do with living with his father full time, so he ran away. I can't say that I really blame him, but the life of a runaway is a really tough too. I am concerned for him, my niece, and my sister too. So much stress to deal with. Heaven ripped open it's flood gates onto my family and it's been pouring for a couple of years now! AHHH!!!!!

I would appreciate it if you could pray for their health and safety as well as a reverse on the custody decision. He doesn't deserve to have custody of them!

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

11 comments:

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Consider the prayers for safety and sanctuary offered up. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Who knows what the courts are thinking when they decide some of the custody arrangements they hear. It's horrific in some cases and yours sounds like one of them. I hope your nephew will be safe and that some kind of compromise/arrangement can be made that is better for everyone involved.

Anonymous said...

Oh my word---that makes me so mad when adults use children like that. My heart aches for this young man. How will this boy cope? That's just madness isn't it?

I would be sick with worry if I was your sister. I hope the young boy is at a friend's house. How soon till he is 18?

Hugs to all of you...
Anna...FGG

Unknown said...

Deb- Thanks! My family can use all of the prayers we can get through these trying times.

Kathleen- Mee too. The insanity of it all.

Anna- I know. He'll turn 16 soon, so he is really old enough to make *some* of his own decisions.

His dad is a total control freak. He's laughing at my sister now because she's going to have to pay him child support (even though he hasn't paid her much in years and constantly changed jobs to make thing hard for her). What a jerk. I hope he gets what's coming to him! I think someone needs to douse him with weed be gone! I'm all for second... and third... and forth chances. I mean, I know people make mistakes. But he's just one of those weeds that no one wants around no matter where he's growing!

Jane O' said...

My prayers are with you and your family. We've seen similar situations in our family and with our friends. It seems to be prevalent, but of course when you are the one going through it, it is much more painful and real. I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

This reminds me of some of the stupid cases that came up on appeal that I saw or worked on (back when I had a paying job). Custody cases are some of the most screwed up. It's too bad your nephew couldn't have gone to stay with friends or other family. I hope & pray for a good outcome in this. Maybe your sister or some other family member can file a new petition for custody based on the change in circumstances.

Amy said...

Oh Cinj! I feel sick reading this - what a terrible thing for all of your family to go through. I pray that your nephew is safe, and that justice will be served...quickly!

Unknown said...

Jane Marie- Thanks! I know about the prevalence, isn't it terrible?

MMD- She's tried calling everyone she could call and is working her tail off to get custody back. I wonder if I'd have the grounds to file for custody? She'd probably get mad at me for that though, but it would be better than her ex!

Amy- Thanks! Me too. This is just crazy. Courts are so excruciatingly slow with getting cases run through though.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, it sounds like the court didn't take your nephews thoughts into consideration, I will be praying for safety.

lisa said...

Prayers to your family! I hope your nephew comes home safe, and maybe the judge would agree to listen to the children's wishes and re-consider, in light of these circumstances. My son's "paternal person" is a mean SOB too, thank God I didn't marry him! He never wanted to prove paternity and pay child support, so he never had any rights. Fine by me, cuz' no amount of money was worth having that creep around. Too bad your sis couldn't just disappear with the kids somehow.

Unknown said...

Just thought I'd let you know that my nephew decided to turn himself in and go to his dad's in MN.

If their dad DARES harm any hairs on their heads there's going to be big time trouble. I'm still wondering how he could have possibly won custody of them!