Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Another Road Trip For a 90th Birthday Party

This wasn't as adventure some or stress-filled as the last trip. (Praise the LORD!)Well, unless you could the nagging from the children during a 6 hour total trip.

MIL and BIL had relegated kids to the "trunk" of the van on the bench seat so they could sit in comfort in the mid van captain's chairs. Apparently they didn't see a reason WHY we assigned the kids each to their own row. Gee, we just must have wanted to torture them, right?

You who are parents know where I'm going with this, I bet. It was almost constant the whole trip. "He's on my side of the car." "She won't share her paper." "Are we there yet?" "She won't let me use her gameboy!" "I'm hungry." "He got to play games first, it's my turn." "He took my toy." "She spilled my cars." On and on and on... They were also talking rather loudly in their boisterous play between their numerous complaints.

THANK GOD they didn't go to Iowa with us earlier this week! Whose brilliant idea was it for them to leave all of their movies and toys at our house anyway?

Oh, did I tell you MIL wanted them to stay there with her until this weekend? They got here just a few minutes before we had to take off for the birthday party, shoved all of the kids' stuff inside, loaded them in the van, took care of the dogs, and we took off. Maybe I should have gone through the kids' bags before we left the house.

Well, needless to say MIL and BIL were none too pleased with riding in back near the kids after this trip. They didn't complain *much* when we made BIL sit in the trunk with one of the kids on the return trip to my house.

The party was very nice. There was a DJ, pig roast, dunk tank, games for the kids, roasted corn on the cob, trivia, and lots of animals for Peanut to watch.



Cheesehead had a good time visiting with his grandpa. It's hard to believe he's 90 already. (Grandpa, NOT Cheesehead). The kids have met him before, but apparently they were too young to really remember it. They just stood and stared at him mostly. They're extremely talkative at home so it was weird hearing them be so quite. TBO talked football a bit with Grandpa. Maybe they've just forgotten how to behave around a real, live grandpa??? It's been a while, they didn't even seem to remember they had one left anymore.

I got a bunch of pictures from the party, but this one is one of my favorites.

Despite all of the driving and extremely high cost of gas, the trips made this week were worth it. MIL was very pleased to be able to make both of these big events in such a short period of time. At least I didn't have to drive this time, so I got some reading done when were weren't chatting.

I forgot to ask her all of those family tree questions I came up with though dang it. I actually have quite a few pages of family information from my families. Cheesehead was able to supply me with two names that I couldn't come up with and no birthdays. Oh well, maybe next time.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

8 comments:

Frances, said...

Oh those wonderful family trips, brings back all to vivid memories. We had the four kids and a large station wagon with the *back in the back*. When the first minivan came out, we were at the car dealership ordering the first one in our area. At least no more three in one seat. The two that could stand each other , two sets of those, were put together. No captain seats in those days. Our best line was, *if I have to pull the car over, everyone is getting it!* Worked every time. Good deal on the ninety year old, may we all live to see that birthday.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Cinj, does this bring back memories of my annual childhood trips to Florida! The three of us were all within three years of each other, and it was a long, *long* drive. However, fighting was kept in check by my father, who had an extraordinary ability to shoot a long arm into any part of the back seat and administer a swift pinch to the loudest offender without ever taking his eyes off the road. Talk about eyes in the back of one's head! I still remember those trips fondly. I'm so glad Cheesehead still has his grandpa (looking hale and hearty, too) around at 90, and that you're smart enough to be collecting the genealogical info while the people who know it best are still around!

Gail said...

We only had one child and we learned to hook him up to Little Thinker tapes and ear phones! A very different experience traveling with one child rather then with many! Maybe summer travel is why parents love the first day of school.

Gail

garden girl said...

You sure are having a busy summer Cinj!

Oh how I remember those road trips with the kids! Mine are grown now, but after a particularly trying trip to Florida with three young girls in the back seat of the car, it was time to buy a van! We got a mini van with captain's chairs. Each kid got their own seat, and they were far enough away from each other that they didn't touch anymore. It sure made our family vacations less stressful. We kept that van for years, until the kids were grown and never took a road trip with them in a car again. This post brought back a lot of memories.

Unknown said...

Frances- I really think vans are truly one of the best inventions ever made for us parents! I've only had to pull over a few times since thay were assigned to their own rows. Those times were only to tweak a movie or game problem. I think they're both getting old enough to try to figure these things out for themselves, but they seem to think it's easier to have me do it.

Ben- Isn't it funny that parents develop these uncanny super abilities?

I think my research would go better if I ever remembered to ask the right people questions. I want to ask everyone everything, but some people either don't remember some things or seem unwilling or unable to share information they know.

Gail- Oh yes, one is a HUGE difference from multiples. I usually hook them up with movies and video games, but we didn't have time to do that since all of them were left at MIL's. Oh well!

I only have one right now, it's amazing that Peanut really DOES know how to behave in a store! I guess it helps that she wouldn't have anyone else to blame for her behavior. Why is it always the other kid's fault when one misbehaves? TBO is enjoying a vacation from his sister at grandma's house. We'll trade next weekend.

Umm, no "maybe" about it, but not just trips. Especially those of us who don't have any neighbor hood buffers for the kids.

Linda- You can say that again! I usually prefer my summers to be less eventful.

Glad I was able to help you jog your memory.

Right now the kids love this van. They are arguing about who will get to drive it when they're old enough. Umm, that's a FEW years away yet. Between 6 and 9 years unless I make them wait until they're 18 to drive. I'm sure when they get older they won't think vans are so cool anymore. You know how teenagers are!

tina said...

Trips with family are worth it-despite the inconvenience of travel.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

More road trips in the back of your trunk? Am I going to see you on the news? :)...Wonderful memories!

Unknown said...

Tina- They sure are. I hope they have some wonderful memories of this someday.

Kathi- LOL! It's not THAT kind of trunk, we DO drive a van after all.;)