Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Empty Nest

No, the kids aren't old enough to move out just yet. I'm talking about the baby bluebirds.

It sure was quite out in the yard this morning as we went out for our shopping trip. I scanned the usual guard posts and they were all abandoned, not a bluebird in sight. I decided to risk a hidden wrath from the mad flying birds and took a peek in the nest. Nothing. It was empty, not even a feather left behind. They sure clear out fast! It almost makes it seem that they were running from the law.

I told MIL and she thought something got to them. I think they fledged. It was one day less than I thought I had, but it seemed extremely crowded in there for four babies when I sauntered casually down the driveway one my way to the mailbox. I could see movement with not a speck of space to spare in there. Am I wrong? Could something have eaten all four babies in so little of time?

All 4 babies were peeping up a storm when I was working in the garage yesterday afternoon. The parents must not have known I was out there since they are usually so quite you'd think they were sleeping. I saw at least 4 different bluebirds in the treetops. I think our babies have finally spread their wings and flown the coop.

Sorry Kathy, no more baby bluebird pictures for you! I even had my camera out there today. For some reason I didn't feel that an empty nest would make a very nice picture for my blog. Maybe I'm wrong though?

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

9 comments:

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Well they left the nest. On to a big future!!!! That is great they all survived and flew away!!!!

tina said...

It has been a few weeks hasn't it? I bet it was time for them to go. Look for them in the yard as they are probably still close by being fed by their parents.

Skeeter said...

Yep, those babies left the nest! Some times it takes our babies longer to leave then other times. The parent birds will resort to showing them a meal then take it back to a perch away from the house to encourage them to come get the meal. They chirp to them to come out and see the big world. Our last brood to leave did not want to get out into this big scary world. It took several days of mom and dad coaxing them to leave. I was beginning to wonder if they ever would leave!

Mommy continues to sit on batch 3 of her eggs. They should hatch any day now... How ironic, as I type this daddy bluebird just landed on the power lines outside my window! Guess his ears were burning from me talking about him! LOL

Hopefully the fledglings will eat lots of bugs for you…

Amy said...

We've had baby birds fly off very quickly too, and I was very surprised they left so fast.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Boo hoo :(...no more baby birds! I know they are safe...:) I hope you have a chance to see some more, will you leave the nest there? I don't know if birds would use it or not...You could always take the nest and head to the craft store and buy a couple blue birds, that would be cool :).

Gail said...

It would have been something to see them fledge! Maybe the next family that moves in! Thanks for the updates!

gail

Anonymous said...

I hope nothing got them. That's too sad to think about so I'm just going to agree that they all left willingly too. If you think it was about time, I'd say that was the case. Hopefully, you'll see them around and confirm!

Skeeter said...

Be careful with the nest. It could be filled with tiny microscopic bugs! Can we say icky?

We always remove old nest in our bluebird house’s. If they want to nest again, they will build a fresh new clean nest in a day or two. Healthier babies from a clean nest. But some people leave old nest in place....

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by everyone. I sure wish I had seen them fledge. Our yard is so big that I haven't seen them yet, but I've heard them out and about in the trees nearby.