Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Filling in the Gaps

While this post is technically about our shed, it wouldn't have been needed if I hadn't made my mistake the other day. Therefore, it is not part of my series of shed building lessons. I just thought I would share this since some of you seemed interested in how I was going to fix my mishap.

Great Stuff is just that, great stuff. I knew it could help me to fix my problem as I have used it before for other projects. The problem was that these holes were so tremendously large I just knew I needed to do something more. Did I really want to use a couple of cases of foam? Nope, WAY too expensive for a cheapskate like me. It expands quickly and clings to just about any surface, but if there is too large of a gap there is nothing for it to cling to. What did I do? Well, take a look for yourself!



I had lots of scrap wood laying around, it seems that our projects have been endless. Endless projects produce and endless supply of scrap lumber. If I needed these wood scraps to not rot I would have had to use green treated wood, but since I just needed space fillers I just put whatever I could fit into the hole. Stacking these blocks of wood up reminded me of the days when I used to build things as a child. I could make anything out of whatever junk was laying around the house.

I stacked the wood pieces until the 6 inch deep hole was almost full. I didn't want to over fill it though as I wanted the foam layer to be even with the bottom of the plywood flooring pieces. I leaned the wood scraps against the underlaying 4x4support pieces and hoped that they wouldn't topple over before I sprayed the foam in the hole.



Thankfully everything held out and I got all of the holes filled.

The foam can be trimmed down to the wood, but it was way too much work! It also has a much more solid looking appearance if it is left intact. I'm sure it holds up just as well either way, but it is a shed after all. Do I really care about appearances in here?



We also sealed the small gaps around the window, but we used the window and door formula. I decided to use it in order to stop insect invasion and water leakage more than insulating value. Don't get me wrong it does insulate, I just don't feel the need to insulate and heat the shed.

This oozes out of any available opening and expands rather quickly. It is best to follow the directions on the can (even if you don't think it's expanding enough). Some of it even escaped to the front of the shed's window.

I did remove the excess foam after it cured for 8 hours since it was so largely expanded. Some of it hung over the edges of the window when the glass was opened. I quit after I got the obvious foam around the windows removed though.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy
Post a Comment