Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Garden Whimsy

Why do you put statues in your garden? If I were to make a guess, I'd say most people buy statues because they think they are beautiful or artistic or connect with them in some way.

I got mine because they were cute. Well, truth be told, the price was right too. I used to sell Home and Garden Party, so I accumulated many of them to display at parties. They were just so darned cute I couldn't bear to part with them once the pieces were discontinued. Some of my favorites are the angels, but I will post them another day. Today Debbi wants whimsical. Here are a few of my favorites!



Any gal just has to adore a good planter. I don't have anything planted in here right now because there are no drain holes and I don't want to break it. The plants I had in here were over watered by Peanut, my overzealous garden assistant. Ooops!



I have quite a collection of feeder type statuary too. I think this one is cute. It's called it takes two. I just love the cats trying to work together to get a lunch. Somehow I think the bird will see them before it becomes lunch though. I probably should have discarded this piece since the top got a hole in it from our contractor's reroofing job a couple of years ago. I'll fill it with cement or something someday to fix it.



Last but not least is my frog gazing ball. I think this is perhaps the most whimsical piece in my yard art collection. I think he is trying to gaze inside to see his inner prince.

Hmm, come to think of it maybe that's why so many toads like to hop around my garden!

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too cute! I use anything broken for a planter so don't throw it away. It will look good with sedums in it.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

I always love a little linky love. Love the gazing ball toad. Too cute. I agree with anna, but sedums in it.

Eve said...

Oh, those cats are adorable. I like the frogs too. One of my favorite plants is in a turned over pot that had a broken side and the other is an angel. Her side was broken so I filled it with soil and put a plant in her side. It filled out and just looks so cute.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Love them!!! I have a frog kinda like that(-: The cats working together is so funny. I can just see that happening(-:

Anonymous said...

Your frogs and cats are so cute. I don't have anything that whimsical in my garden at the moment. Sedums would look cute planted in the frog planter.

Skeeter said...

I really think these type statues add to a garden! I place them here and there and call them spots of interest! They perk up a garden when there is little color. A chip just adds character and I do like them all but the cats in the birdbath remind me of my girls. When they first showed up at our house as strays, the mama cat Sheba would stalk the birdbath for hours and wait for the perfect moment to pounce. Just at the moment of pouncing, her kitten Cheetah would come bee bopping up as if to say, “What cha doing mama”? And of course there would go dinner! I had a difficult time when the girls were strays as Sheba would kill my bird friends. I would run out and fuss at her but she was such a poor pitiful looking ragamuffin, who could fuss? She was only trying to survive in this world of abandonment! I took them in within a few weeks and they have been inside fur babies ever since! That little ragamuffin has turned into the Queen of Sheba and the little innocent bird warning kitten has become my little Princess…

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy,

Love your blog! My name is Liam Manchester, and I an the senior sculptor for DesignToscano.com

We have, what I feel, the best collection of garden statues anywhere. I should know I was involved in sculpting many of them. I specialize in Mystic and Dragons but we have all types of categories.

Here is our Meerkat , our most popular piece


http://www.designtoscano.com/product/garden+statues/new+garden+statues/the+meerkat+gang+sculpture+-+db32136.do

Cheers!
Liam

tina said...

Froggies are good in the garden. Looks cute.

Unknown said...

Anna- I have quite a few things that are broken. I'll have to show them to you sometime. I just won't tell Cheesehead about them being broken or he'll throw them away. I'm pretty good at disgusing this kind of thing.

Debbi- Me too. not too many players yet though. :(

Eve- Aren't they though? I couldn't get rid of them just because they have a small hole in it.

Cindee- I bet Speedy and Sweetie would work together like that!

PG- Sure you do, weren't you the one with the turtles? I used to have a turtle in my garden, but it lost a leg and a head so it made it to the garbage. Poor guy!

Skeeter- Yup, I'm sure the poor thing was just looking for a lunch. I'm glad you saved them (and the birds!) from that life. My cats don't get outside either, otherwise I don't think my baby bluebirds would have made it.

Liam- Thanks for stopping by.

Tina- Thanks, you should see all my other stuff too.

Barbee' said...

I'm a bit partial to the chipped and broken things. Don't know why, but they seem special.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

How cute! I love the kitties trying to get to the birdies :).

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Fun stuff, I really like the self-absorbed frog. The main purpose of garden art is to make the gardener happy. Your statues certainly made me smile. I'm sure they lift your mood a bit every time you look at them.

lisa said...

Cute stuff! I don't throw away broken stuff, either...especially glass items. I want to use the pieces in a mosaic stepping stone. (Someday, when I have time...you know how it is! ;-)