Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Our Morning Misadventure

While this annoyed me this morning, I thought I may amuse you with a story before I head out today.

I am trying to sleep in for the long trip today. I had a rough night because I was worried about being able to get to all of the right places today. I guess I should have looked at mapquest yesterday. I didn't because Cheesehead told me that his mom and uncle both knew how to get there.

Anyway, at 6:15am I can hear Beauty whining in the living room. She won't stop and it's too early, I'm too tired to be thinking straight, so I get up in a flash. I don't want her to have an accident on my nice carpeting. Both of the dogs go to the garage door acting like they've just GOT to go outside. I hurry up and open the door following them to make sure they stay in the back yard. Mind you I'm wearing my summer nightie that is fairly short. I wasn't worried about being seen by neighbors so I didn't even grab my robe. We were going to stay in the back yard anyway....

We go out through the garage's back door and get to the kennel. The kennel door is ajar. They tear out of the back yard into the front yard. I run after them allowing the door to shut behind me. I didn't want them to find the baby bluebirds!

Suddenly it occurs to me that Cheesehead probably just headed to work and the dogs were sad because he left them. I call the dogs to the back yard. Amazingly they listen to me. We all go into the kennel and try to open the door. I never unlocked it! EEK! I'm cursing the door locks we have. Who makes door locks that you can open without unlocking the door anyway? Now we're stuck outside, the house is locked up tight and there is no way inside except the kids letting us in.

My mind starts whirring with thoughts of how to get back in. I start wishing that we slept with the windows open at night. We don't because Cheesehead is afraid a bear will break in or something. Um, since they're taller than me I really don't think that could happen! Too bad we never got the code programmed for the touchpad on the garage door, I guess that will have to get on the to do list pronto. Our extra key is no longer outside where the builders kept it. I wish I had my purse, I could use my cell phone to call them and let the phone ring until I roused the kids. Oh, if I had my purse I'd have my keys.

It is hazy, hot, and muggy even though it's only 60 degrees. Beauty is whining for me to let her back inside. Gee, if all I ever had to do was whine to get my way I'd whine all the time too. I start knocking on all of the windows and doors of the house to try to rouse them kids. Nothing. I have to go to the front yard. I put the dogs in the kennel hoping the dogs don't figure out they can knock it over just by jumping on the walls.

I am circling the house like a vulture. I can't stay up front long because the neighbors do daycare and some of the other neighbors are leaving for work. I don't want to blind them with my brilliantly white thighs, so I keep circling, knocking, and ylling for the kids.

All of a sudden I hear a strange soft warbling noise that I haven't heard yet. It's the baby birds. Sorry babies, I wasn't even thinking!

Defeated I go to the back yard, wipe the moisture off of the cleanest chair and plop down to plan my next move. I could go over to my favorite neighbor's house and try to use their phone. If I were wearing my other nightgown or had my robe over the top I probably would.

I close my eyes. Man, I am still SO tired. I listen to the birds twittering in the trees. I can hear the robins and the mourning doves. There are several other birds calling too, but I don't know who says what. Some of them are sweetly singing with melodious voices, others are twittering among themselves, I hear chirping, and warbling. At least 6 different bird calls. I am waiting. Sweat is trickling down my body. The dogs are whining. Mosquitos buzz. An eternity passes. I decide to make another round. Still no one stirring inside.

I start grumbling to myself. The kids are usually up early watching tv. Why not today? Grr! I knock on the front door again. The cats come to investigate. They look at my seeming to wonder why I don't come in. I yell "Speedy, go get the kids!". She stares at me blankly. Hmm, I guess she doesn't act as much like a dog as I though she did!

I turn around. Mother bluebird looks at me curiously from her watching post. I'm sure she's wondering why that crazy lady doesn't just go away. I mumble to her that she's lucky she doesn't have a door that locks on her house. I proceed to the back yard to wait. The cycle repeats for what seems like forever.

Suddenly both dogs are looking through the window of the garage door. The kids must be up. I practically sprint to the front yard. Yup, there are both kids. I knock. They open the door and the first words out of theire mouths are "Where are the dogs?". Gee, it sure is nice to be so well loved!

The ordeal lasted an hour and a half. I relate the tale to them. They didn't hear a thing. I go out to get the dogs. Do I have to? If it weren't for the naughty beasts I'd already be ready for my trip. I suppose I should have been getting ready instead of telling you a story, but in retrospect it is somewhat amusing. I sure made MIL laugh when I told her.

Okay, enough procrastinating I need to get to MIL's with enough time to squeeze in both lunch AND an oil change.

I know we just had one, but MAN do I need a vacation!

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

14 comments:

Amy said...

Oh dear, you poor woman!!! My theory is that we need a vacation after our vacation, to recover from the vacation we took...clear as mud?

Skeeter said...

Thanks for the laugh this morning although, sorry it is at your expense! I think I will go get an extra house key and hide it somewhere outside today!

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

That was too funny. Glad you got back in.

Gail said...

That was a well told tale and funny!


Gail

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

ROFLOL!!! How close are your neighbors? Do they have binoculars? LOL! Thanks for sharing your story as hard as it was, I'm sure at the time it was very frustrating but a good one to share...safe travels! :)

Anonymous said...

Bravo Cinj!! Well told and so amusing. I hate those doors too. I locked myself out once and will never ever hopefully do it again. I laughed so hard while reading this and am glad you are safely out of your nightie and didn't get eaten by a bear. I thought--are you kidding me, she's out there with bears??

tina said...

Yup, that is a funny morning and you really just have to laugh.

lisa said...

Thanks for the smile and laugh! I've had plenty of those days myself, unfortunately it usually takes a broken screen to let myself back in....if THAT even works! Home security is great, except when YOU need to break in! :)

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

If only I had a dollar for everytime I have locked myself out of my house and car!!!
Sorry about your morning but at least you did get to enjoy the birdies(-:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing! Isn't that one of the worst feelings in the world. It is one thing to lock yourself out, but to do it wearing something you would rather not be seen in public in is the worst...and yes, I have done it too, LOL.

Victoria Williams said...

Great story! Thanks for the laugh!

Unknown said...

Nancy- It is MUCH funnier after it is over than while it was happening.

Amy- YES. So very true.

Skeeter- Cheesehead and I were just discussing that over dinner tonight. Also the programming of the garage door keypad. I do have an extra key that I keep in the garage. I guess that doesn't do me a whole lot of good if I can't get into the garage though....

Debbi- Me too. Cheesehead was teasing me about all of the cleaning up he had to do after me. Ususally I get the house all cleaned, dishes washed, and laundry done. Not this time! Oh well, it gave him something to keep him busy in the rare moments that he was home.

Gail- Thanks. Glad I was able to accomplish my goal.

Kathi- They're not *too* far away. Our lots are all about 2 acres on average and there's one lot between us. We can see their house pretty well in the winter, but once the trees and bushes have filled in you can barely tell there are other houses around. I'm not sure if they have binoculars or not but I think they would have had to be standing on their roof to be able to see me. The only sightings I may have had to worry about would have happened in the front yard if they were driving by.

Anna- I think when I have the money I will replace the locks. It will probably be a while though. This is only the second time it has happened in two years, so I guess that's not too bad. I did get tasted by PLENTY of mosquitos though. Where's the cortizone?

Tina- I think MIL needed to hear this story, she laughed so hard.

Lisa- I didn't try since there were others inside the house. I just decided to be patient so I didn't have to cost myself any more money.

Cindee- I know! I locked myself out of the car twice. I made a spare key that I keep in my purse after the first time. As long as I don't forget my purse in the car I'm fine. That's what happened the second time I locked myself out. I had to call Cheesehead at work, I felt so silly!

LisaCA- On the bright side, at least I don't live in town...;)

Kim and Victoria- Glad I was able to amuse you.

Anonymous said...

oh my word, what a way to start the day! I have those same door locks and they drive me crazy. I don't know whose brilliant idea they were either. Seems quite the opposite to me.

Unknown said...

kathleen- I'm right there with you. My guess for the "brilliant" inventor is probably some man. Would a woman really come up with something so silly?